“Amaaaaaazing!”

It's Just Barbecue
Ranked #8 of 17 Restaurants in Orwigsburg
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 25 October 2012

LOVE IT! My first run in with this place was 2 years ago when I was looking for real barbecue to cater our wedding. There are not many barbecue joints in this part of the country. I stopped in to meet with Jeff and I swear, we ate EVERYTHING! He even brought out some specialty stuff that isn't on the regular menu like tri-tip steaks.

I do not have the words to describe how wonderful this place and the owners are. We ended up getting a little bit of everything for the wedding: ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and of course, brisket. Sauces are excellent, sides are great (homemade coleslaw!), portions are enormous, and prices are very affordable. My husband and I stop in as much as possible and even with how much he eats, we can usually split an entree.

Restaurant itself is charming. It feels like a barbecue joint, complete with picnic tables and flying pigs everywhere.

Keep up the great work guys! We love you!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

With limited choices in the area for pulled pork and brisket sandwiches it was a treat when "It's Just Barbecue" opened. The barbecue wasn't like Texas but the sandwiches and ribs were pretty tasty. Lately the quality has gone downhill. What a shame! What happened?

Reviewed 12 July 2011

We were on our way to Bloomsburg, PA to visit the fairgrounds and decided to find some barbecue on our way. The first place we stopped at - wasn't open on Sunday. Their loss.

Right on Rt 61, it is easy to find. Can't miss the pink pig smoker sitting out front, next to the big black one that was issuing a satisfying amount of aromatic smoke as we pulled in.
The menu is simple, always encouraging. I wanted to try the ribs, but was told it would be another 20 minutes for those. So upon recommendation, "We get awards for our brisket," I opted for the brisket platter. Served with two sides. I requested coleslaw and baked beans. My husband ordered the pulled pork with the same two sides.

Barbecue sauce is on the side. Another plus. The original sauce is on the table, and they've got several other varieties behind the counter by request. The horseradish barbecue sauce was the perfect accent for the beef. Just enough horseradish to taste, but not so much as to have your eyes watering. The brisket was moist and flavorful. I scooped it up with a bit of the cole slaw. So good.

The baked beans were okay. Obviously from a can, but there were big bits of pulled pork added. The pulled pork was very good too. As we finished up, the owner brought us a sample of the now cooked ribs and a couple of the chicken wings. YUM! I'll make it a point of having the ribs, next time.

Reviewed 25 October 2009

First of all, the location is in Deer Lake, on the edge of Orwigsburg, right along rt. 61. You'll see the large pink pig grille sitting outside.

I really like this little place. It's really hard to find good BBQ in the area, but it's perfect cuisine for Berks and Schuylkill county. Darn good, no frills, and inexpensive. Seating area is all picnic tables and paper towels on the roll. True to the bbq way of life. They use real wood smokers to slow cook the meat. When you drive by, the smell grabs you and forces you to stop the car.

I've had their pulled pork and the smoked half chicken, and I was very happy. For quick and simple fare, they have sandwiches. To get a bbq chicken sandwich is like getting a 1/4 of a chicken on a bun. I cut the meat slab in two and save one for another sandwich later.

For sides, they have the standard baked beans, cole slaw, mac salad... but do not miss their awesome potatoes. The chunky potato salad is a treat, and you won't find a better baked potato anywhere. The only thing I've eaten here that I'd call just average are the pork ribs, not as tender as some places.

It's a simple little place. Menus are printed on brochures only (and on their website). They close during the winter and are closed Monday and Tuesday. It's a family business that enters major bbq comptetions and does catering and bulk sales. Their beef brisket has won awards. It's cool that this place fills a needed food niche, and it's done by someone who's passionate about the art of barbecue.

I would love to see them really prosper and grow to new and larger locations. They're about 5 miles north of Cabela's. If they could set up a place next to them, they'd clean up. And they'd be closer to my house. ; )