“Great atmosphere and service, so-so food (Catacombs Restaurant)”

Catacombs at Bube's Brewery
Ranked #6 of 47 Restaurants in Mount Joy
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2018

We took the short tour and then ate at the Catacombs Restaurant on a Friday evening.

The Catacombs themselves are a fun little tour. There's probably a healthy dose of exaggeration in what they say, but what do you expect?
The area for the restaurant is small, and the service is good. We got our food quickly.

Food is so-so and thus overpriced, but the tour is free and the atmosphere is fun so that's what you're paying for. Don't bother with the smoked salmon appetizer or the shrimp pasta, which are both disappointing, but I recommend the very tasty chicken with Bavarian rub.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

We were there for a medieval feast and it was a blast - first of all the location is super and the actors were great servers attentive and fun as well the food was wonderful too! Gotta go back for more and SOON - gotta be there to believe it

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

If you’re looking for a unique atmosphere, then a Bube’s Feast or Mystery Dinner is the place for you. The entertainment troupe is talented and fun.

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

First we were given a tour which was incredibly awkward and we really should have skipped it. We were a party of two seated at a table for four. The same hostess who gave us our tour also tried to pour us water, but got more on the table and the floor than in our glasses. She is just simply not good at her job.
Our server was very friendly and accommodating, but we were given this pretzel snack with a Boursin-cheddar dip that was too cold to spread. We ordered the warm crab dip which was so salty it was inedible. My wife ordered a coconut Mojito that was too sweet to drink. My beer flight was tasty and happily (for me) did not include an IPA. The salad of field greens was actually chopped romaine, but had a very pleasant tomato vinaigrette. Our “warm rolls” were actually room temperature, stale rolls (at least the butter was spreadable). Our main course (both steaks) were good, even though my medium was charred a little on the ends.
I did not relay any of this disappointment to our server, as my wife and I decided that neither of us had any interest is staying any longer and have no interest in ever going back there. What looks from the internet like a charming, quirky restaurant was not what I experienced. I experienced a dank and dreary basement with some lights out, which made reading the menu all the more difficult considering part of it is in German. It could very well be a case of elevated expectations due to many previous positive reviews, a new chef, being open on a Monday for the first time of the year or just a bad day. All in all, I am thankful that my wife and I were able to share many more positive experiences to celebrate our anniversary and we can hopefully forget this miserable one.

1  Thank JR S
Reviewed 23 June 2018

Taking my wife's sister and husband to Catacombs to celebrate their 40th anniversary was a unique experience for them and us. Upon entering you are given a tour of the brewery and a brief talk on the history of the Catacombs. Descending down the stairs approximately 40 ft. you are in the history laden caves. It's cool and dimly lit with white lights and candles. Our meals and drinks were just right. The service was great and we were told that our drinks and orders would take some time due to the distance traveled upstairs to the bar and kitchen. That was not a problem as we enjoyed sitting in the cave. Our meals were very good, we had a rib steak, duck breast, lamb chops and the lemon chicken piccata. Needless to say all meals were thouroughly enjoyed. At the catacombs they also have murder mystery events and an escape room various times of the year.