“Amazing meal!!!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Myself and two of my fellow business associates were stranded in Pittsburg due to the Blizzard in Boston. We were staying at the Hyatt at the airport and desperately wanted a non-hotel meal. We found the Hyeholde on TripAdvisor and got ourselves there via Uber. The restaurant was busy but we luckily got seated. The venue is an amazing 1930’s building built with beams from a nearby 200 year old barn. Each room in the former residence are mini dining rooms. It was a fabulous setting. The meal was fantastic. Each course was wonderfully plated. The wine and beer options were very good. The desserts were sensational. I found the sherry bisque to be very tasty. The elk sausages also got rave reviews as did the short rib. Even the desserts were so of the tastiest we have had in our travels. Kudos to the Hyeholde!!!!

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

This place never disappoints. The sherry bisque is wonderful. The short ribs melt in your mouth. A tad too salty tho. The service is impeccable. The Irish coffee left me hanging and I don’t recommend it.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Travelling coast to coast and north to south, Hyeholde is our favorite combo in the USA of fantastic atmosphere, great but not lengthy menu, perfect service, and (though high) good value for price. Our latest visit to the lovely romantic old castle-like restaurant on a weekday evening was once again just wonderful. Gracious, proficient Mary (whom we've met on many previous occasions here) started us with a bread service of 3 types of excellent house-made breads with black olive tapanade and extra creamy butter and large balloon shape glasses of a full-bodied Shiraz. Knowing from experience that it is almost impossible to order something we wouldn't care for but easy to order too much, we each limited ourselves to only one preliminary course. We ended up adoring our choices of potato gnocchi with excellent tangy cheese sauce, and a lovely cold venison tartare served picturesquely in a hollowed meat bone. Our entrees were equally satisfying: broiled cod with a shrimp sauce tasting almost like lobster and medium rare elk filet paired with unexpected house-made elk sausage over savory barley. To finish with a flourish we each had an espresso service (tiny cups with lemon peel, sugar lumps, and a soft ladyfinger-like cookie). We also shared an imaginative dessert new on Valentine's Day, a lemon berry tart in a pretty very thin edible cup made of sponge cake or some such. Needless to say, the next time we visit Pittsburgh we'll be back!

Reviewed 27 January 2018

First, we love the Hyeholde. It's our go-to for a special meal and, for the most part, it always delivers. We have eaten in almost all the available spaces, have had the picnic meals in the grounds and did the chef's table (with the previous chef, not the current one). We had dinner last night to celebrate my husband's birthday. The menu seemed a bit more limited than in the past, but still with plenty of options. We were a bit disappointed to not see our usual prosecco on the wine by the glass list, so past on it and ordered a glass of red wine. Cabernet for me and Malbec for my husband. Both glasses arrived poured rather short (and yes, I know that the glasses are large, but it was still a stingy pour). Both were very good wines. My husband had a second glass with dinner and this pour was more in line with a normal serving. My husband ordered his usual caesar salad and I ordered the potato herb gnocchi with pepper sauce and wild mushrooms. The salad was good, the gnocchi just o.k. The gnocchi were a bit mushy, the pepper sauce rather bland. The asiago cheese sauce gave it all of the flavor. I literally had eight pieces of wild mushroom. A few were the whole mushroom, but most were pieces. For $12 dollars, I expected better. Our entrees were all good- two elk and one filet, but not quite where they normally are. The elk is our favorite and we tend to order it whenever we go to the Hyeholde. This time, it was noticeably smaller and served with a house-made elk sausage. While the sausage was flavorful, it was a bit too salty and the cut of elk was less than we have come to expect. It was, however, cooked perfectly and very delicious. The faro was also delicious and the sweet potato puree was good, but the dish really needed something like brussel sprouts or the sweet potato in cubes. There was a little cranberry sauce or puree on the plate as well and we both wished there had been more of that. My daughter's filet was good, but a tad dry (was ordered medium, so not overcooked). For dessert we had one delicious, one good and one odd and disappointing. The creme carmel was very good and the blood orange sorbet with it was fantastic. The chocolate cake was o.k., but overwhelmed with the too intense Irish cream ice cream. The brioche bread pudding was bad. It had the consistency of mashed potatoes (looked like it was even scooped with an ice cream scoop!). The hazelnut ice cream served with it was good, but my serving was microscopic. Should also note that we had originally ordered the profiteroles, but were advised by our server that they, "have not been well received". Sounds as if it was an off day for the pastry chef. Again, for almost $10 a dessert, you expect better. The coffee, as usual, was great. Our server was also great and we have no issues with our service.
Still love the Hyeholde and we are hoping this was just an one-off experience. We will definitely go back and give them another chance based on our previous experiences. We did expect better than we had last night.

Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

Like so many of the reviews have noted, the atmosphere of this place is amazing all g with its food. Came here to impress business colleagues with this unique experience. While I also love other restaurants like the Grand Concourse and Monterey Bay, this is an intimate experience close to the airport. This is not a place to bring the family unless they are adults, take the kids to one of the many chain restaurants nearby. You feel relaxed and pampered as soon as you walk in the door. Unless relaxed to you is LED lighting and loud music. It is old school charm and not a sterile, manufactured environment that you can find in every city.