“Must go before you die”
Review of Fallingwater

Fallingwater
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Mill Run
More attraction details
Owner description: Perched on a rock above a gushing waterfall, this historic house was built for a Pittsburgh family by architect Frank Lloyd Wright in the 1930s, ingeniously designed to blend harmoniously into the tranquil and beautiful woods around it.
Reviewed 15 May 2008

My grandmother was in the Fellowship at Taliesen adn Taliesen West. I grew up in FLW influenced houses my whole life. I did not know what a basement or a garage were. But it was not until visiting Fallingwater that I realized what my grandmother's houses were trying to get at. This house and the land around it are beyond words. You must visit this house. Our trip to the Laurel Highlands started off visiting Fort Necessity which was a bit lack luster but historically significant and it had a lovley visitor center with a short movie and an interactive visitor center which is great for kids. You then walk across the street to the Fort where it all went down, it is a circular wooden encampment in an open field. Then you can hike or drive up the hill to Washington's tavern that is set in the period. We stayed at the Sumitt Inn which was awesome. The rooms themselves were clean and had great views, they were normal rooms nothing luxurious in the room but the old historic Inn's public spaces are where you want to spend your time. We hung out next to the huge fireplace and played chess and then we watched the sun go down on the glorious porch looking over Union town, really wonderful views. We ate a lovley meal at the hotel and enjoyed the whole atmosphere. It was great fun reading the old newspaper stories about Einstein visiting or dances held on Tuesday's .

We arose early to get to the earliest Fallingwater tour that costs a bit extra but it is totally worth it since you get to see the whole house and you get to take pictures inside. It is worth it. The grounds are beautiful to hike and Kentuck Knob FLW usonian house is not far away. Kentuck Knob is owned by a private British Lord, friend of Fergie and formerly DIana. The gift store and cafe are fab and the house is really comforting. Great to see both Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob so similar in some ways but executed very differently. The grounds on this house are amazing. There is also a sculpture park that you can go through. We got the Package at the hotel that included two nights stay, breakfast , passes to Fort Necessity national Park, Kentuck Knob, and Fallingwater. We took this trip in May after first going to Antietam and Gettysburg. The Ohiopyle falls was alos beautiful, made me wish I had brought my bike and my kayak. Really worth the trip.

6  Thank tuesdaynext
Write a ReviewReviews (2,375)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"basic tour"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 30 April 2008

I had been longing to see this wonderous home for about a decade, and finally for my birthday, my husband booked a trip to see it. It is an amazing place. The site placement, the gravity defying canteleavered terraces, words do not properly descibe this house. It is truly magical.

We had booked the in depth tour before leaving home. Our guide was conversational and knowledgable. Not only did she know LOADS about the Kauffman's, Wright, and also Fallingwater, but she knew tons about the other key Wright buildings, which gave our tour great context. If I can visit again, I would seek out Joy- she was a Joy.

ABsolutely a can't miss site- and not just for architecture buffs!

3  Thank JoeysMom_7
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We decided to stop here on the way to Pittsburgh for a weekend trip. We had no idea we would love it so much. It really is an amazing home. FYI there is a great small resteraunt named Albrights with great prices and good food. Since there is not much else there to eat and the food at Fallingwater is very pricey, this is a good alternative.

2  Thank juangon1
Reviewed 15 April 2008

I wish I could give this more than a five out of five. Fallingwater is a beautiful home that is a must see for everyone. As you tour through the home you will be amazed by all the thought and detail that Frank Lloyd Wright put into this home.

On the day that I visited it was not that crowded but it was still a 30 minute wait for a tour, I guess because they keep the tour groups small. So you may want to consider making a reservation, if your going during a busy time.

You buy your tickets at a gate on the entrance road so make sure you have your money ready when you pull up. At the visitor pavilion you will get you tour number and you wait there for your tour number to be called. While you wait you can look in the small gift shop or grab a snack in the cafe.

When your number is called you walk down a short path to the house and meet your tour guide on the bridge. Our tour guide was really nice and knowledgeable and really seemed to enjoy giving tours. The house was amazing, you will be impressed! Unfortunately photography is not allowed on the main tour. But once the tour is over you are free to explore the grounds and snap as many pics as you want.

Overall it will take 2 to 3 hours to see the house and grounds.

3  Thank TouristMD
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 March 2008

Just returned from Fallingwater. I've seen many many pictures of this wonderful house, but nothing compares to actually standing on the patio off the great room living area looking down the steps that lead right to the water where Mrs. Kaufmann would fly fish or just looking at all the nature around you. We had an in-depth tour which lasted two hours. The tour was very informative giving us background information about the area before Mr. Kaufmann purchased the land, about the Kaufmann family, and also about Mr. Wright. All the art is unbelievable. They have Tiffany, Diego Rivera, etc. Our guide was very nice and answered all our questions. We also visited Kentuck Knob another Frank Lloyd Wright house and enjoyed it very much. I've been wanting to see Fallingwater for a very long time and it far exceeded my expectations.

1  Thank dapmag3