“Creative offerings”
Review of John J. Jeffries

John J. Jeffries
Reserve with OpenTable
John J. Jeffries is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 639 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mullberry St.
Description: During renovations, workers found in the floor beams a signed inspection stamp--November 5, 1890--with the name of tobacco inspector John J. Jeffries. We named the restaurant after him. We’ve designed our menu based on local, seasonal, sustainable and organic agriculture and delicious recipes. Please join us and taste the difference of local farm-to-table sustainable cuisine in one of Lancaster's best fine dining restaurants. As the Chefs and Owners of John J Jeffries, we believe you will find our passion for supporting local businesses and preserving the land we live on, to be contagiously obvious in how we run our restaurant. All of our meats are raised locally, confinement-free on fresh green grass pastures. No hormones, antibiotics, steroids or forced-fertilization occurs. Our produce is local organic or chemical free. We use local grass fed cream, butter and eggs. We also provide sustainable seafood and support sustainable fisheries.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

It was a Saturday evening and we arrived without reservations. We were told that the restaurant was sold out but we could sit at the bar, which we decided to do. We had some wine and ordered from the small plates menu. The food was delicious and the service very professional. We were very pleased.

Reviewed 8 September 2018

We went there this evening with friends. Nice atmosphere and very friendly staff. My friend and I ordered the pork tacos; a real winner. They were extremely good with complex flavors and texture. We thought there were great things to come. They forgot to bring bread, but I can forgive that.

On the the mains. I ordered aged NY stripe and my friend ordered Pork Gordita. Both were cooked to perfection. The flavors were awesome. The sides were awesome. The meat was another story. I had to struggle cutting through the NY strip it was so tough. Tasted good, but a really tough piece of meat. My friend's pork was even worse. He was ready to give up on it, but struggled through. Why they wouldn't use pork tenderloin in the otherwise fantastic dish is beyond me.

Bottom line... It will be a long time till we come back. There are so many good restaurants in Lancaster. Farm to table sounds good, but if acorns make the pork tough as leather, and grass makes the beef so hard to cut, Well, lets just say better meat would have made it an otherwise fine experience.

1  Thank MikeNSX
Reviewed 5 September 2018

We've always enjoyed top-notch service, food, and ambiance. I even tried the beef tar-tar (which I would not have done had I known what it was) and I actually loved it! You will pay more for your meal, but you get what you pay for in this case. By the way, our three visits have been over the course of at least 4 or so years.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

Anniversaries are special so John J. Jeffries sees us often. Their food is like no other, and their wait staff matches its quality. The atmosphere only enhances the richness of our celebrations. We're so lucky and proud to have John J. Jeffries in our community.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

We have been to this lovely intimate restaurant in Lancaster, PA on several occasions. What we enjoy most about John J Jeffries is the food is locally produced and the menu is updated frequently.

Our server Angela greeted at our table and very professionally walked us through the evening fare; answering all our questions. The only disappointment of the evening was that two main dishes; turkey and lamb were not available which seemed odd given our early reservation.

For starters, my wife had clam/corn chowder which was superb and I had the seasonal salad which was farm fresh. For our main courses we had local organic flat iron steak and meatballs. Both dishes were outstanding and prepared to perfection. We paired the dinner with a California Cab, Vina Robles which was very nice. Please note, that if you would like to try some local PA wines; there was a good selection as well.

Dessert was a large beautiful bowl of fresh peaches and raspberries topped off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. To finish the evening we had two coffees, which were French Pressed. A very nice touch.

If you are looking for a special evening or just a great meal, John J Jeffiries will not disappoint and the art work is a wonderful bonus.