“First time ”
Review of Citronnelle

Citronnelle
Reserve with OpenTable
Citronnelle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 650 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$10 - US$45
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Citronnelle is a tiny jewel box of a BYOB restaurant serving modern French cuisine (with a global twist) in a chic and cozy mid century modern setting. We use only the freshest local, seasonal (organic where possible) produce, locally raised (hormone/anti-biotic-free and grass-fed where possible) proteins, wild/sustainable seafood and the finest natural ingredients available. Citronnelle has 32 seats and is a BYOB ($5 corkage fee/bottle applies). Because of our petite size, reservations are highly recommended. Merci et à bientôt!
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

This was our first time at this lovely restaurant and we will definitely return. Small but cozy, this restaurant offers a first rate dining experience. The starters, pate and octopus were excellent. My wife had the winter vegetable salad as her entree and she claims it was delicious. I had the more substantial gnocchi with wild boar as my entree and it was really very good. We split a lemon souffle and it was beyond wonderful. The restaurant is a BYOB which we prefer. So go...you will enjoy!

2  Thank Bill K

Reviewed 8 October 2017

We had a good experience here but nothing stands out as outstanding. The service, atmosphere and food were all good and far above average. Our salmon dishes were tasty and creatively presented though perhaps a bit overcooked. It was certainly a pleasant evening and reasonably priced. We would return when in Lancaster the next time.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

At my third time dining at Citronelle, my fellow diners and I experienced a number of ups and downs, some of which will probably change the way I order my meal there if we go back again. Menu prices are appropriate for a restaurant of this type that successfully achieves what Citronelle is setting out to do, but that promise is not delivered on in all cases. Our starters were good, as we have come to expect here. Mine was the grilled octopus with Spanish chorizo, purple fingerling potatoes, lightly dressed greens, fried capers, and fresh herb aioli, which had a beautiful presentation and exciting flavors and textures. My dining companion’s “BLT” salad was good, especially the fried green tomato, but was lacking in actual bacon. Another diner had the chilled white gazpacho Basquaise, which looked spectacular. Entrees were not so good. The New York strip was cooked properly, but the accompanying potato roulade had an off taste (didn’t taste like potato at all) and the spinach was a bit oversalted. My Duroc pork chop was a clumsy, irregular cut that barely yielded to a steak knife and turned out to be dry and mealy, and the side dishes for it were also too salty, so I sent it back. The owner mentioned she would talk to the chef, but never offered any explanation for the bad pork chop dish. She suggested the chicken Normande as the fastest entrée to get out, so I picked that, though it wasn’t that exciting of a dish, and turned out to be underseasoned and lacking in flavor. Three others had ordered or tasted the chicken as well and found it oddly textured, mushy, or rubbery. The accompanying garlic potato puree had little flavor, though the green beans were good. There wasn’t time to order anything else, so I ate what I could and moved on to dessert. This is an area where the kitchen redeems itself. Soufflés are very good (and are wisely ordered in advance). That night’s strawberry and black raspberry sorbet duo were excellent, and the fig tart with honey ice cream was a treat as well. Knowing what I do now, in the future I would order two or three starters and a dessert rather than bothering with any of the entrées, which simply aren’t coming out of the kitchen right.

SUSAN L, Owner at Citronnelle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you Dominic, not only for your feedback, but also for being a repeat guest. I am thrilled that your previous experiences led you back to us. I am sorry to hear that your experience this time was not equally as stellar as your last few times.
First, I am glad that you enjoyed our appetizers and desserts. I apologize for the lack of bacon crumbles in your fellow diner's BLT salad. The person who made the salad may have accidentally put in less than normal. It was extremely busy on your weekend visit during Restaurant Week, so an oversight could have possibly occurred in our little kitchen. I wish I had known so we could have remedied that immediately. Regarding your pork dish, our chop is a standard frenched, double thick cut, and it is typically cooked in a manner that keeps it consistently juicy and slightly pink in the center. I apologize if it was not this time. From the piece of chop that was left, it was difficult for our Chef to discern exactly what happened to it, since the cooking method did not change that evening. Our Poulet Normande dish was a classic regional dish from Normandy made with fresh, local, organic chicken breasts. This dish had received consistent rave reviews from other guests during one of our Global Wednesdays events, and therefore was offered as a special menu item for Restaurant Week. I am so sorry if this dish was not to your liking either. As for the potato accompaniment on the steak dish, it is a crispy potato-duxelle roulade, as stated on the menu. Our "duxelle" is made with mixed exotic mushrooms and truffle oil. Perhaps your guest was not expecting the mushroom flavor in the potato roulade? If our previous entrées were not to your liking, we do hope you give us another try as our Fall menu has all new and amazing main courses on it. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Another wonderful find on our getaway to Lancaster (one of our favorite culinary destinations) !
AMBIANCE: decorated tastefully in "1960ish" motif, very cozy and secluded.
FOOD: very delicious, creative and interesting. Had pate(A), White Gazpacho (A+++),
Octopus (A), Pork Chop (A+), Corn Polenta Cake (A++) and Peaches & Crème (B) for dessert.
All the dishes were wonderful visually and portioned just right.
SERVICE: our server Scott was very nice and friendly, accommodating to our needs, efficient and professional.
VALUE: very adequate to the experience received.
We definitely plan to come back and can't recommend it high enough for every foodie (and the rest of the world) : ).

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

We were in Lancaster for a short visit and were looking for some place for a really good early dinner. We had seen a leaflet for Citronelle and the food looked amazing so were delighted when it just so happened we had parked the car almost outside the door.
It is quite small and intimate with dark wood tables and walls so can appear a bit gloomy but don't let that put you off. The food that comes out of the kitchen is enough to brighten any day.
I had superb creamy crab cakes with pickled cucumber followed by what was probably one of the best bolognaise I have ever had. With quite chunky pieces of tender lamb in a rich ragu it was delicious. The chocolate soufflé with an orange creme anglaise to finish was superb.
Can't fault the cooking or the service.
It was a delightful end to our all too brief visit to this charming part of Pennsylvania.