“Quality has gone down”

Add it.
Miesse Candies
Ranked #22 of 43 Shopping in Lancaster
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Meisses used to be THE place to get high quality, local crafted chocolates. I remember when I was a kid this is where the huge hearts of Valentines chocolate came from in my family and no chocolate, near or far, could beat the deliciousness of Miesse candies. Unfortunately, something is happening at this company where the quality is deteriorating. The flavor for the mot part is still there, however the past several times I have purchased here for myself/to put out at a get together and when I have received Meisses as a gift, the chocolates have not been fresh. This is definitely the case with the pre boxed chocolates- not sure if they aren't checking them for turnover or what. Chocolates are getting a white film on them and flavor not as fresh and bold. I hope the owner can figure this out and fix this so that Miesses can return to the glory of perfect chocolate maker and something I'd be proud to present as a gift to others. At this time, I hesitate to purchase or recommend. For visitors to the area, there are two stores. The Lancaster store is smaller and in the city, however there is also another store away from the touristy region off of Fruitville Pike.

Reviewed 29 September 2016

I needed to buy a gift for my mother in law and thought some chocolates would be a good idea. Miesse chocolates (we loved the milk chocolate/salted caramel candies) are DELICIOUS!!!! The prices are very reasonable too. My MIL also loved them.

Reviewed 30 August 2015

This is a small, family run business snuggled in between other retail on Water Street. The day we stopped in there was only the owner on site, but he was very helpful and patient with us. Unfortunately, tours must be scheduled 48 hours ahead of time (the brochure says call first, but we did not realize the lead time was that long so took a chance since we would not be returning to the area). We asked questions about the business and candy making in general and walked away with a mixed box for our later enjoyment. We were able to sample before buying. I am not a chocoholic, so I ate only the caramels but they were all very good!
If you are going to be in the area for a few days a looking for something different to do, then give them a call.

Reviewed 6 July 2015

Store was very small. The chocolates were very good but if it isnt on your way to something else, it isn't really worth it.