“an ok place”

The Lancaster Science Factory
Ranked #15 of 80 things to do in Lancaster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the Lancaster Science Factory, a hands-on, interactive technology and science center in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. We invite you to come explore our exciting exhibits relating to the physical sciences, engineering, technology and mathematics.
Reviewed 13 July 2017

The parking lot is across the street from the factory. The factory is a giant room, with little experiments kids can do. I think this place would be fun for kids 13 and under.

1  Thank 1Jaybee1
in 13 reviews
"cub scouts"
"cool souvenirs"
in 2 reviews
"free parking across the street"
"great interactive exhibits"
in 2 reviews
"great place to take your kids"
"blast playing"
"older ones"
in 5 reviews
"few hours"
in 9 reviews
"school age children"
in 2 reviews
"a great place to spend"
in 4 reviews
"fun stuff"
"roller coaster"
in 7 reviews
"fun visit"

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Many of the reviews that I saw centered around the fact that the center has great summer camps. While I'm sure that's true, I'm here to say that this is a great activity all on its' own.
I was extremely impressed with this place. The floor was filled with fun and engaging exhibits that helped kids learn about science basics...from fulcrums to fluid dynamics to optics...just a whole lot of stuff. The exhibits weren't technical masterpieces that looked like they cost millions. Instead, the exhibits looked like a "best of" list of practical machines and exhibits that you could expect that "the cool science teacher" in school built. As a result, the exhibits were robust and very hands on. They showed concepts in really, really, illustrative ways such as when they demonstrate the results of a fulcrum by having your kid try to move 10 pounds with levers set up at different distances. Your kid goes from not being able to budge 10 pounds on one side of the exhibit to being able to lift 10 pounds with a finger at the other side. I certainly could see lights going on with my son.
Then the museum works on many levels. For little kids, there's fun stuff to build and play with, but for older kids there are formulas and descriptions to help them really understand what's going on. My son, "got" the idea of a fulcrum through interacting with the exhibit, but I could expect that an older kid would have gotten even more out of it by looking at the formulas for the amount of force generated...printed just to one side.
We got there at 10. Left for an hour for lunch at the cork factory, (really good), and then had to get out to go to a wedding at 3. My son still didn't want to leave.
Great place. I feel as a different reviewer did that I would love to see this replicated in my area...and so would my son.

1  Thank mrfoxil
Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Located on Route 23,just inside Lancaster City, easy to find from Route 30. We have visited numerous times and my daughter has attended science camps. You could spend all afternoon here. Several inexpensive eateries within walking distance.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

My daughter has attended a few camps there, and a business group I'm in hosted a networking mixer there after hours. The team at the Factory handled both scenarios expertly. The exhibits are fun even for adults to play with!

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Took the family on Saturday morning. The kids had a blast playing and learning about the physical sciences. My 8 year old son's favorite was the Cubix robot blocks. He would have played with them all day. My 11 year old daughter had the best time trying out the sound studio. They should franchise this and bring to local malls. Every county should have a place like this nearby.

Groups can arranged sleepovers. We did this with the cub scouts. They had a blast!