“A nice time with one big flaw”
Review of Cove Haven Resort

Cove Haven Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lakeville
Reviewed 7 November 2017

My partner and I came here to celebrate our anniversary. We knew it had been the pinnacle of romantic getaways in the 70s and reading reviews, they were all over the map, but we decided to check it for ourselves. If you visit and expect a renovated, modern, up-to-date resort, you will be sorely disappointed, but if you remember that this was *THE* place to go 40 years ago, and keep that in mind, it's a quaint little resort. We arrived after the stated check-in time (3:30pm), and our room was not ready, but the front desk said they would call us as soon as it was. We went to the indoor sports zone while we waited, which was nicely equipped with arcade games as well as indoor archery and tennis and racquetball courts We decided to grab a drink at Spooners Bar, and the bartender on staff was very friendly and courteous. It was about 5pm at that point, and he called the front desk to check on our room. It was ready, so we got the keys and headed over. It was a little frustrating we didn't receive a phone call, especially getting so close to dinner. My partner had reserved us a Cove Fantasy Suite, so we went to the block of rooms and got settled in. The decor looks probably exactly the same as it did in the 70s, which we expected - lavender paint on doors, scalloped wallpaper - but the most surprising part was a toilet that looked like it came from a public restroom (with a metal flush lever and all).

We changed and went to dinner, which was Steak and Lobster night. The food was as expected - nothing over the top, but not bad. The soup we had tasted like it was cooked without seasoning, but that was easily fixable. The wait staff was friendly and we were full at the end of the meal. Later on, we went to the champagne lounge to see the band that was playing. The waitress remembered our drink orders from dinner, which was a nice touch. The band was good, and we left halfway through the comedian that followed. We took a dip in the pool which was nicely heated, then went to bed. The bed was comfortable and we were amused by the twinkling starlights overhead.
The breakfast buffet in the morning was your normal fare, however the eggs had the same problem that the soup from the previous night had - no seasoning! But the same friendly staff. The coffee tasted slightly burnt, but we were also on the later side to breakfast, so it had likely been sitting. The housekeeping staff called to check if we wanted them to stop by, since we had the "do not disturb" sign on, which I though was a nice touch. We had a very pleasant massage in the spa/fitness center building, and then tried out the indoor archery target range. We had a great time trying that! My only complaint was the small number of arrows - when another couple arrived, we were using only 5 arrows each. Dinner that night was a buffet, which was actually quite good. Our waitress was not as great that night, we didn't receive a refill on cold water, or hot water for tea (we didn't see her again after she brought our drinks).

Now, this is the part with the biggest problem. After dinner, we cuddled in to drink some wine, light a fire, and relax with some TV and a dip in the heart-shaped jacuzzi. Before we lit the fire, my partner checked the chimney to make sure the flue was open, but was unable to see all the way to the top ("coated in soot and dirt - probably hasn't been cleaned since the 70s). But we put a duraflame log on anyway. We first had a difficult time trying to get the smoke to go up the chimney, though it seemed to work itself out - until 40 or so minutes later when my partner exclaimed "holy ****, the room is filling up with smoke!" Sure enough, the whole room was filled with smoke - and the smoke detector above the door DID NOT go off! We aired the room out, and sat outside in the damp cold weather waiting for the room to air out and the fire to smolder. The we made our way to the front desk, to ask for a carbon monoxide detector. They did not have one, and the front desk staff offered us an upgraded room (which was fine, but not helpful if we have CO poisoning). We tried to find a convenience store that was open to get our own, but in that area, not much is open past 9. On returning to our room, it still smelled heavily of smoke, so we decided to take the upgraded room, though inconvenient to have to pack. The front desk staff was courteous enough to send the new keys with the bus driver so we didn't need to go back for them, which we greatly appreciated.

We moved to a champagne tower suite, which was a larger room with more features. We chose to not use the L-shaped couch in the living room area because it seemed to have bodily fluid stains on the cushions. We didn't set another fire, but we did notice that the smoke detector in this room didn't work either! (This happening in 2 rooms means it is likely the same in all rooms. This is a serious safety violation.) The champagne hot tub was fun, and more comfortable than expected. The bed was comfortable again, however the pillows didn't seem as fluffy, and being just above the pool made it hard to regulate the temperature. Breakfast the next morning had a continental fare which was okay - nothing out of the ordinary - as well as plated options. Our waitress was very friendly and the coffee was much better!

Overall, the trip was pleasant, aside from the smoke issue and lack of working smoke detectors. We may return again in warmer months, to try some of the outdoor activities - but will be bringing our own smoke detector and CO monitor!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nmpast
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

We really appreciate your incredibly detailed feedback about your recent stay. While we are glad you had an overall pleasant trip, we are incredibly disappointed by the issues you dealt with in-suite. Anything less than perfection with each stay is unacceptable and below the standards to which we hold ourselves, and the smoke issues you dealt with are certainly not typical for us. We apologize for the inconvenience and have already shared your feedback with the Resort Manager and Maintenance Manager so we can ensure this does not occur again. We certainly do hope we will see you again despite the issues you dealt with.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,652)

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Been going here for years. The physical property is definitely tired but you can see some superficial attempts at upgrades. Reason we kept going back was the quality of the customer service of the employees. Apparently all good things must come to an end. During this past visit some of the LOWLIGHTS were 45 minute wait for our breakfast after ordering. Felt as though we were a burden to our Saturday night waiter who was too busy talking with friends.
Place will really be in trouble when Dennis the waiter leaves.

Entertainers were outstanding. However CXO was awful. Sure do miss Honest Phil.
Scheduled activities were minimal at best.

Food was hit or miss.
Steak very good
Lobster way over cooked
Salad bar great on Saturday, horrendous on Sunday
Desserts were terrible.

Bottom line. Not sure if we will return.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dgouldd

We are sorry to read your recent stay was not enjoyable as it has been in previous stays. We apologize for the long wait at breakfast and the lackluster service you received. We will share your feedback with the Resort Manager to address these issues immediately.

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

After few years planning a romantic getaway, the planet aligned: my wife and I booked a weekend at Cove Haven Resort, to stay in their Cove Harbor room.
Although the staff was very friendly and assistive, we couldn't stay. The smell of mold was horrible. From 209 we went to 235, which was even worse. They offered another rooms but the bad smell was pervasive, affecting every unit we visited. Four rooms down the road, we told them we couldn't stay (my wife is very allergic, specially to mold). They fully refunded us and then we came to Scranton, PA to stay at the Lackawanna Station Hotel for less than a third of daily rate, in a much better room.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank w2stabenow
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

We are disappointed to read we were unable to provide you with an enjoyable experience during your recent visit to our resort. We are looking into the issue you mentioned in those suites and apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

I booked a 2 night stay at Cove Haven to celebrate my boyfriends birthday. I spent upwards of $700 for a glorified super 8 motel. The owners of this resort are criminals and practicing false advertising and fraud at every corner. I’ll start with the room, which was outdated but at least it was somewhat clean. Upon entering my heart sank because I paid $215 dollars to get the “suite seduction” package (rose petals, bubble bath, candles, chocolates and 2 champagne glasses) and what I got was 99 cent store garbage. I spent another $16 to get the “balloon bouquet” which was 3 deflated latex balloons. I felt robbed and it set a very disappointed mood. The rest of the place was outdated and run down and the food was more of the same. The breakfast was a standard continental buffet that you could get at any $80 a night motel. The dinner was not edible. Entertainment was a pool table and an arcade where 2 of the 6 games worked. I ended up shelling out more money at Spooners cafe so I wouldn’t starve for some subpar overpriced bar food. When I checked out I got my $200 refunded for the 99 cent gift bundle they advertised as a “suite seduction package” and when I tried to get a hold of a manager he “wasn’t in the office.” The line at check out was full of people complaining for more or less the same reason. I wouldn’t stay another night here if they paid me. My boyfriend and I made the best of our time together - we spent most of it in our room watching atrocious cable tv cuz that’s all they had. If you’re looking to spend $1,000 I know better senior citizen centers you could go to for free. This resort is scamming hard working people out of their money and should be shut down. I filed an attorney general complaint and I’m still waiting on a call back from this mysterious manager who never seems to be around when I call. It’s disheartening that I came here to make someone I love feel special and we both left feeling robbed and disappointed. One star is generous for this dump advertising as a “luxurious couples resort.”

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sc1592
Reviewed 24 October 2017

We are from St. Louis MO and have been going to this resort for the past five years and have seen changes happening. This last visit we stayed from October 20-22 and stayed in an Apple which is one of our favorite rooms. So I am going to start with our positive experience during this visit.
Food- Friday was the International buffet which had a wide variety of tasty food and great deserts. The breakfast buffet is fantastic and if you want something that is not on the buffet you can always ask for what you would like, I usually get eggs over easy. We always ask for Chris because he always makes eating a fun experience. Saturday was Rare Catch, I had the steak and lobster or you can just get the steak. The steak was delicious and served with baked potato and green beans. Spooner's has great wings and nachos, which we enjoyed Sunday while watching football.
Spooner's- We checked out on Sunday and stayed to watch football at Spooner's. Joe was the bartender for the day and was fantastic. He took care of us with our drinks, food and entertained us with some cool card tricks. Guest are welcomed to stay after they check out so we had an open tab during the different football games. Joe made sure that his guest were able to watch games they wanted to watch and had the different games on each tv. Joe thanks for making our last day so much fun.
Landscaping- The ground are looking much better with new lights located on the sidewalks, benches, new bushes, trees, and fall decorations
Entertainment- They had a great band Saturday night with an awesome comic RC Smith. He even had my husband laughing.
Now for the negative side for things
Food- Rare Catch night, my lobster tail was very hard to get out of the shell, someone at the table even thought it was zapped in the microwave! I had to use my fingers to get it out of the shell and I thought it was going to end up flying out of the shell and hit my husband in the face. We also had a really long wait for our dinner after it was ordered. We were seated around 6:50 pm and we did not leave the dining room until after 8:00. We were very surprised they were still seating guest after 8:00. Breakfast time has also changed. It now ends at 10:30 instead of 11:00 and before if guest arrived before 11:00 they could enjoy breakfast before checking in to their room. That has stopped.
Daily Activities- The Hot Spot gives couples daily activities for the day. Saturday we went to play bingo and it said at Spooner's but it was at Champagne Palace. Also during Saturday there were only 2 scheduled activities plus and a hypnotist, which he was very entertaining. Sunday we were excited to see more activities but the CXO was sick so the resort canceled the days activities, thankfully Joe kept us entertained at the bar in Spooner's. There were many unhappy guest at Spooner's that day. We understand that Honest Phil is no longer with the resort and those will be some big shoes to fill, but they need to have at least 3 CXO's on staff so activities will not be canceled. They also offer drinks of the day and Sunday's was Pumpkin Spice White Russian, but the resort did not have all the ingredients. So our bartender changed it to another drink. Also thank you for running the Bud Light drink special during all the football games.
Time changes- Before after all the entertainment was done at the Champagne Palace Nightclub guest would go to Spooner's because it was open until 1:00 am. Now everything is closed by midnight. Saturday night Spooner's starting getting more guest at 11:00 pm and everyone was enjoying the DJ, drinks, food and playing pool. I did not know how they were going to get everyone out of there in an hour because the party was just beginning.
The Cove Haven App-during our stay we tried to use the app. While checking the activities on the app, mine had the correct date of October 20, our friends had the date of October 17th, then the next day her app had the correct date but mine still had the 20th. So we just stopped using the app, because we had to update it each time we tried to use it for the day.
Room- When we opened the door there was a strange smell, I sure it is because all the moisture in the room due to the pool and heart shape tub because water does spill out of the tub if you do not watch what you are doing. Our lamps did not work and we found out they were unplugged. We had mold spots by the lights above the sinks in the bathroom, and the fan in the bathroom to use for heat was caked with dust. The bed was extremely soft with stains on the sheets. There were also spots all over the carpet. This was the first time I really felt the rooms were dirty. We spend a lot on money on these rooms and should have clean rooms. In our friends room the refrigerator was replaced with a smaller size which are in the cheaper rooms. If a guest had asthma or allergies they would have difficulty staying in the room.
Photos- During dinner the photographer comes around to each table to take photos of each couple. In the past he has taken a few of each couple, this time he took one and moved on to the next couple. During past visits we have always picked out a few photos to buy, this year we did not get any and we even had the coupon for a free photo.
In conclusion, over the years we have meet some great couples that we still keep in touch with and we would come back each year to meet and enjoy the weekend together. It takes a lot of planning for us to get to the resort because we have to fly to one destination, catch a another flight and rent a car. We thought about returning in the summer because we still have 2 free night to use, but after this stay we will probably give up our free nights to go somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank rea63
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

We are very disappointed to red you were not satisfied with your recent stay and will share your feedback with the Resort Manager. These issues are far from typical of an experience at our resort and we're dedicated to addressing them immediately. We apologize for the inconveniences and hope this doesn't deter you from returning to our resorts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeville
37.3 km away
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
15.7 km away
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to Cove Haven Resort? Share your experiences!