“Amazing Restaurant and Views !”
Review of The Galley Kitchen

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 19 April 2017 via mobile

Hi,

We went for dessert couple of days before and for breakfast this morning. Amazing restaurant and service. The setup is waterfront and views to Marina. This has become our not to miss destination whenever we are in Port Stephens either staying with anchorage or somewhere else.

1  Thank criticsure

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

My fiance and I had been looking forward to dinner here given what we'd heard about The Anchorage. We arrived and after a short delay finding our booking we were ushered to a table outside.

Over the course of the night we ordered proseco, rosé, the flatbread starter, lamb, buffalo mozzarella, calamari entrees, and chocolate dessert. Overall the food & drink was tasty if not slightly bland.

One thing we did find odd, however, was the service throughout the evening. Apart from one friendly waitress, the other 4-5 waiters we dealt with were either awkward or slightly rude and must have delivered the incorrect food/drinks to either our table or other tables at least half a dozen times - it was a bit of a shambles all night. A number of times we needed to say "sorry that's not our order" etc.

All in all the wait staff seemed inexperienced and unprofessional, especially for such an esteemed resort.

The resort layout, architecture & styling is beautiful so we would love to stay there sometime soon, but The Galley restaurant experience was just plain odd & didn't allow much relaxation throughout the evening.

4  Thank Henry F
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

My partner and I went to the Gallery Kitchen on our last night in the area. My only regret is I went on the last night of our trip. The food was exquisite and the service was incredible. We got flatbread to begin. salmon and sirloin steak for mains with green veggies and roast potatoes for sides. The whole night was amazing and I could not fault it - if you are in the area it is a must!

Reviewed 10 April 2017

There actually two restaurants here,at the Anchorage this is the cheaoer restaurant , the more expensive one had beautiful looking food but the flavour was virtually non existent. This is open every evening and there was nothing wrong with our food but nothing special about it. Suffice to say I cannot now (four days later) remember what we ate except we decided we wouldn't eat here again on our holiday, the beach hut as much better!!

Reviewed 10 April 2017

We once again (fourth time eating here) booked the Galley Restaurant for our anniversary dinner (it was our 2nd wedding anniversary). The Anchorage has now changed their restaurant offering whereby the inside is now a seafood restaurant and the outside is now the Galley Kitchen, the latter offering a variety of meals - this is what we chose as we wanted to see what they could provide for our dinner.
The best part of the evening was when we were welcomed by one of the staff (Sebastian) who remembered us from the previous year - this man is a treasure that made us feel welcomed and special! We were shown to a table and offered a drink - I chose a Kir royale (fortunately the server knew what I was talking about and went to check that they had 'cassis' (one of the ingredients) in stock. My husband ordered a glass of red wine. Meanwhile we perused the menu and decided to just order mains for the time-being; on his return with the drinks our server was ready to take our orders. I ordered the Balmain bugs (grilled, according to the menu) which came with a small salad and house cut chips. I also ordered an additional salad as I love my veggies. My husband ordered the scotch fillet and chips. Our server then stated that as all meals were prepared from scratch, that we might have a 20-30 minute wait for our meals and would we like to order a starter? We chose the salt and pepper calamari to share although we didn't really want anything else to eat, but didn't want to sit there drinking for 30 minutes without some food.
The calamari arrived about 10 minutes later and was our first disappointment - it was clearly pre-cooked and reheated as the crumbing was soggy and the calamari tasteless. We then waited a further 45 minutes for our mains to arrive -seriously? My bugs were soggy, tasteless and very disappointing - when questioned about them being 'grilled' I was informed by the server that they had a 'salamander grill' (whatever that is) which cooked the bugs. I buy local bugs regularly from the fish co-op and cook them on our BBQ (actually reheat them as they are already cooked) and they end up juicy but firm with a lovely 'grilled' taste. If I can do it at home, surely a supposed 5* resort can do the same? The house cut chips were good as was the small salad that came with the meal. My extra ordered salad never came and we didn't bother with it! My husband's steak was less than tasty - rubbery, tough and tasteless. Considering we have one of the best butchers around at the Salamander Bay shops, I find it hard to believe that the Anchorage would serve such substandard meat.
Needless to say, by the time we had finished our meal we just wanted to pay and leave - but guess what? We had to wait another 20 minutes for the bill - when it didn't come, my husband walked over to the cash register and asked to pay on the spot (we should have just walked out!). The place was not busy, so in my opinion, no excuse. A lovely venue with once again disappointing service and food. We found out later that the Anchorage is owned by Wests Diggers Club and my husband quipped (about the restaurant) "RSL food with RSL service at 5* prices". I am stymied by the good reviews that this restaurant receives and can only imagine that they either have a completely different staff or people have very low standards. We 'dined' on February 11th 2017.
We will not be back.