“A perfect night”

Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Mollymook
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is a reflection of Rick's passion for seafood and the coastal lifestyle which he has enjoyed for most of his life. As Rick says: "nothing is so exhilarating as fresh fish, simply cooked". He believes that fresh seafood should speak for itself. While he enjoys occasional fine dining, his food is much more about what he really likes to eat: a plate of Clyde River oysters, a pot of Illawarra prawns with mayonnaise, a mound of spanner crab, a slice of blue eye or a perfectly grilled sand whiting. We like our service to be informal but observant and we have a local team who will greet you with a warm, genuine welcome.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

A perfect night is more than just the meal, the company, the ambience, the decor, is all just as important. The company was all I could wish for, but no stars for the restaurant on that score.

We skipped entrees because we wanted room for desert. Two of us had the fish pie. It is nothing like a pie you get when you watch the footy. The pie is served in a dish with all sorts of sea food. Prawns, scallops fish etc etc etc. And all in what seemed to me to be something like a mornay sauce but with something extra.

My wife had one of the specials. It was a schnapper with mussels and I don't know what else. As much as I loved the pie I wondered if I should have had what she ordered.

My brother-in-law ordered a rack of lamb. Why would he do that at a sea food restaurant? But I could see how perfectly it was cooked. Pink on the inside, it was all I could do to restrain myself from stealing it from him.

The deserts were a disappointment. Not because there was anything wrong with them but because my three guests all ordered doughnuts. Doughnuts? But they looked exquisite. I had creme broulee and I loved it.

My wife and I each had a glass of local wine, which I'm sure others might criticise. But we have had that vineyard's wine before and it was perfect with seafood.

This is a popular restaurant and you have to book ahead, but it is well worth it.

I have read other critiques which have criticised the service. I suppose it might depend on when you go, but we were there on Easter Monday. The restaurant was very busy but we found the staff to be very friendly, and very attentive without being obtrusive.

Fine dining at this level, with this quality of food and service, is not common in the more laid back region of the NSW south coast. I would rate it with the best that I have experienced in Sydney and I would definitely recommend it for anyone who wants a night to remember.

Date of visit: March 2018
Lola W, Guest Relations Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear Richard W,

Thank you for your lovely review of Rick Stein at Bannisters.

It is a lovely review for us to pass onto our staff, chefs and management!

See you next time!

E feedback@bannisters.com.au

Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed 3 April 2018

My partner enjoyed his meal very much. I thought the food was beautifully fresh but somewhat bland. Not really subtle just lacking depth. Wine was great and service too. Enjoyable night

Date of visit: October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback from your visit to Rick Stein at Bannisters.

We will use this feedback constructively and do hope to see you again!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Fabulous atmosphere and views. Staff were delightful and extremely attentive. Food was very fresh, With a good selection of interesting dishes.The prawns in coconut curry for entree were fabulous as was the whole snapper…I highly recommend the snapper. The wine list was excellent And wisely presented from light to heavier style. It was expensive but we were happy to pay for the experience.

1  Thank russellfionaj

Dear russellfionaj,

We're delighted to read that you have had such a lovely visit to Rick Stein at Bannisters.

I hope we will see you again!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Visited the restaurant after reading a little about it. I found it over-priced and over-rated. To be frank, I was disappointed and it certainly did not live up to expectations.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank 621dougw
Lola W, Guest Relations Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback, 621dougw!

We appreciate all feedback we can use to improve.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

We were greeted by a lovely young woman and we were impressed with such a warm welcome. We were delighted with our table outside, the ocean as a backdrop and lush gardens....what's not to like ? The food was fantastic.

1  Thank Joany57
Lola W, Guest Relations Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Thank you for your review Joany57!

We strive to provide a warm and friendly, South Coast experience!