We have been to Capella each year since 2007, even though it takes us two days to get there from Hawaii, so there must be a reason. Actually many reasons but just read the other reviews and you get the idea. But this was our first time in the Makambo Loft which may now be our favorite room. As it is at the far corner of the lodge it has views of the ocean and the mountains, and seems the most private of the rooms. That being said, we have not yet splurged for the Lidgebird Suite. The only issue with Makambo is the spiral staircase to the bedroom which requires some skill and concentration to negotiate (although having climbed Mt. Gower three times I was able to manage). We are told a upstairs bathroom is to be added which will make this suite complete. Other issue were the rails and baby rails (birds) who were literally at our door demanding to be fed. As always, the Capella staff was special and Mark the Kiwi put on a special barbi for us prior to our departure. Although this did require our having to walk to our flight (all of 5 minutes from the beach barbi) at least we did not have to carry our luggage! Meals were uniformly excellent and dinner portions were generous. We had kingfish in a different preparation almost every night (having caught a 20 kger on Jack Shick's boat). One thing not to miss is Ian Hutton's lecture (Sat nite) on all aspects of the island. Also, the museum is a special place- so special that we are sponsoring a scientific display. Needless to say we will be back next year, as well as visiting the Baillie's "neighbor lodge" at Southern Ocean this August for only the fourth time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Celebrated as the pinnacle of luxury on World Heritage-listed Lord Howe Island, Capella Lodge rests atop romantic Lovers Bay. An inspired architectural design welcomes spectacular views of the ocean, reef and mountains into the Lodge.A short flight from Australia’s east coast transports visitors to a real ‘treasure island’. Capella’s nine contemporary island-style suites are designed to complement Lord Howe’s pristine natural environment. Luxurious surrounds, exceptional island-inspired dining and unforgettable ‘first-name’ service combine to create an outstanding Lord Howe Island lodging experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Capella Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Capella Resort All Inclusive
- Capella Hotel Lord Howe Island