Open today: Closed

Reviewed 23 December 2020
KeepLifeSimpleUSA
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
via mobile

All reviews french and indian war visitor center native american tribes nice place to walk western pennsylvania reenactment battlefield land museum park conflict visitors soldiers scenery
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 February 2021 via mobile

...so it was a quick visit for me. I pulled into the visitor center lot, but everything was closed because of Covid. I got my second shot that day and celebrated by picking-up a Big Mac and some spicy McNuggets. Can't eat that too often, so it was the first time in months that I went to McDonald's. I'm 60 years old and wonder how long I'll be able to treat myself to that delicious poison every so often. Ate in my car as usual these days. Started feeling a little guilty about all the grease and wanted to explore a little bit and walk it off. I especially wanted to go take a look at a monument I saw off in the distance, but thought it best not to cross the heavily snow covered field. I've slipped and fallen recently a couple times, so I've been trying to be careful about such things. Aging sucks. Anyway I was able to get to it by driving back to the main road and pulling off closer by. It's a great monument that equally recognizes both sides of a conflict called Pontiac's War. From what I'm reading, or better yet from what I'm able to discern from reading, it was a conflict against the British by Native American tribes who were angry that promises made to them to end their involvement in the French and Indian War were unkept. Go figure: European/American colonialists/imperialists lying and cheating native populations out of land - that happened(s) everywhere in the world. That monument was really all I got to see here. I thought it to be very beautiful especially the representation of the Native American fighter. My impression of the soldier was that he looked like an old golfer at the British Open. I'd like to come back in better weather and see the rest of the area and learn a little bit more about what happened here. But better yet, I got plans to be elsewhere. Getting the vaccine is restorative and beginning to return me to the wider life and community I once belonged to. I'm outta here in my heart already.

Date of experience: February 2021
23  Thank scottofhawaii
Reviewed 23 December 2020 via mobile

Bushy Run park is a unknown jem and a nice place to walk your dogs. Lots of scenery and a enjoyable walk in the park. If you have dogs this is the park for you.

Date of experience: November 2020
30  Thank KeepLifeSimpleUSA
Reviewed 5 October 2020

It was a French and Indian War battlefield that has several signs around the area explaining what happened. The monument was pretty neat as well. Covid kept the visitors center closed so I wasn't able to visit that, but I hear there is great reenactment. There is free parking and when the VC is open it is cheap to visit.

Date of experience: October 2020
Reviewed 29 February 2020 via mobile

The Bushy Run Battlefield park is a great place to walk your dogs. There are numerous trails on both sides of the road. There's a large pavilion you can rent or use for a picnic and some picnic tables scattered throughout the large park. The parks association is with the lesser known French and Indian wars of 1760s and Indian uprisings in western Pennsylvania. The park is free to use just $5 fee to see a museum if that's your thing.

Date of experience: February 2020
97  Thank KeepLifeSimpleUSA
Reviewed 1 October 2019

Bushy Run Battlefield is nestled among houses in Jeanette, PA. Parking is free. We started at the Visitor Center where the cost is $5.00/adult or $4.50 with AAA discount or for Seniors. Inside the visitor center are some exhibits (self-tour) regarding the 1700s during the time when the battle took place in 1763. The exhibits are kid friendly where kids are encouraged to put on colonial period outfits. There are some exhibits behind glass, but it appeared that the items or artifacts were reproductions. There is a short 15-20 minute film describing the 2 battles that took place there - with sound effects - get ready for your seat to vibrate with gunfire.
After the visiting the Visitor Center, we took a tour in an 8-seat golf cart (no extra fee, it's in the price of admission), with the volunteer tour guide. He took us over the open terrain to the place where the 1st battle took place (the open terrain used to be a wooded forest, however, the family that owned the land back in the 1930s, cut down the trees to reveal the open terrain), described how the American Indians were involved, then drove us to the Bushy Run Battlefield monument section. Next he took us to the other side of the battlefield where the 2nd day battle took place, up on "Edge" Hill and showed us where the British Soldiers had built a flour-sack fort and another monument there. Finally, the golf cart tour took us down the dirt road where many a soldiers and horses road, along with Captain Bouquet, to the wooded section where the battle took place, along with pointing out where the Settlement was back in the day. The tour wrapped up back at the visit center.
It was a nice ride in the golf cart with our tour guide pointing out various tidbits and the mini film and small exhibits were fun to see. Alternatively, you can walk the battlefields on your own and use the trail through the woods if you like. It probably would be nice to go back and see the land during the autumn with all the pretty fall leaves.

Date of experience: September 2019