“DINING DISAPPOINTMENT”

Price range: US$21 - US$142
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hordern's Restaurant offers fine a la carte dining with an extensive wine list. Rich fabrics, high back chairs and soft lighting, give a distinctive feel of the great restaurants of France. Magnificent views of the garden thoroughout the day and night. Open seven days for lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Sadly we did not stay at this beautiful hotel as guests because we live locally but decided it was the perfect venue for lunch with friends from Sydney. The Orangerie where we were booked was closed owing to a function so we were directed into the main Hordern's Restaurant to eat. Unfortunately whilst the venue is beautiful the food was sub par for some courses. We were told a new chef had just started and he as yet does no favours for this wonderful venue. 2 of us ordered the steak which on the menu stated with cafe de paris butter. The steaks, which were excellent, arrived with no butter and when I asked the waitress, who was very pleasant, she stated that it was not shown on the menu. On checking she immediately went and saw the chef who sent a message back that it was already on the steak. I queried this as it was obvious it was not. She then returned saying the chef will send some out shortly. One minute later out came one tiny dish of green set butter. This was NOT Paris butter but more like a cheap pesto/dried herb substitute intended for some other dish. I was not happy as this was the main reason I chose this meal. Some of the other courses were fine but this and at least 2 other meals fell short of the mark. Hopefully this is just teething problems but it was not a good advertisement for this fine old establishment.

4  Thank KAF369

Reviewed 22 September 2017

We stayed at Milton Park and ate twice in the restaurant and once in our room over the course of 4 days. The food was great. We asked for seconds of the homemade bread and enjoyed it each time and the mains were good. I had the lamb and beef and my wife tried the fish - no complaints except that a few extra veges would have been good.

We were served by Robyn, who doubled behind the bar as well. Very friendly, helpful and natural to all patrons so a credit to Milton Park and Hordern's. I would (and hope to) go back one day.

1  Thank James L
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Food was delicious, atmosphere was great and the service was outstanding by Miora and Daniel. The Chef surprised us with a nice petit four platter which was a lovely ending to our evening.

2  Thank Toni H
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Wonderful lunch by the window in the winter sunshine overlooking the grounds. Could not fault waitstaff location or setting. A tad expensive but I didn't expect anything less

1  Thank Mike T
Reviewed 1 August 2017

During our recent visit to Wollongong, my brother took us Milton Park Country House & Hotel for Sunday lunch. This exclusive hotel warmly welcomes their guests. The food was fabulous and restored my faith in eating out. We enjoyed the leisurely pace too. I can recommend the charcuterie for two, the pot au feu chicken and the tonka bean pannacotta with strawberry sherbet. My brother thought the seafood pasta excellent and the french banana tart the best he's ever eaten. 2016 Far Ago Hills, Pinot Gris was lovely. The ambience is elegant, with loads of natural light from the huge window. The tables are generous and the chairs very comfortable. The service is attentive but quiet and unobtrusive. Waiting staff are often critiqued but not in the context of the manners of the diners they serve. The young man who waited on us was quietly spoken and appeared a little nervous. He relaxed under our friendly manner and when I thanked him upon our leaving, he wished us well for the rest of our day and hoped we'd come back soon. I certainly hope to return.

1  Thank snowflakesonwater