“Really lovely birthday luunch”
Review of Hordern's

Hordern's
Ranked #26 of 92 Restaurants in Bowral
Price range: US$22 - US$150
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hordern's Restaurant offers fine a la carte dining with an extensive wine list. Rich fabrics, high back chairs and soft lighting, give a distinctive feel of the great restaurants of France. Magnificent views of the garden thoroughout the day and night. Open seven days for lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 24 July 2017

We havent been heare for a while and looked at the menu for the Orangerie for lunch - it looked a good selection, so we booked - ended up being seated in Horderns with the lunch menu. There was a good selection and the prices varied - leaning to the more expensive, but it was a birthday lunch so we were out for a treat. Bread is delicious, ordered another basket. Entrees were lovely - I had the spinach salad with beetroot and feta, and it was lovely and reasonably priced. My husband had scampi - quite expensive and not a lot of it, but he loved it. Mains were excellent - my son had the steak, asked for medium - it was closer to being blue, so we asked for it to be cooked longer - no issues and it was then taken off our bill! The only downer was the cake charge, $16.50 per person to serve a cake that I had made and bought along - they sliced it and served it with a scoop of ice cream and coulis - so quite an expensive addition to the bill.
We had a really lovely day though, the gardens are wonderful, even in winter and we also went and played billiards in the bar area for a good hour, which was great fun

1  Thank Jenny J

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Going for a drive to Bowral with our elderly parents we decided to drop in to Milton House for afternoon tea. Unfortunately, as we were not booked into Milton Park as hotel guests we were not permitted to stay for coffee. I found this totally unbelievable. I have visited many exclusive hotels around the world and this is the first time I was made to feel out of place. The restaurant had only 8 guests dining. Surely there is a better way of handling this. As a consequence I would never choose to stay at such an elitist venue. While the venue looks beautiful, the snobby culture within is extremely unappealing.

1  Thank paulvW6471JI
Reviewed 3 May 2017

Hordern's is a restaurant that is part of Milton Park, a property established by the Hordern family many years ago.

It is a beautiful "old money" type of property. Very picturesque with long established trees and well tended gardens.

Parking is ample and not far from dining areas with a drop off zone for those who cannot walk far.

The dining areas and rest rooms are very clean. Tables are well spaced.

We found the staff to be act quite professionally with some annoying glitches along the way.

We visited for lunch to attend a birthday celebration.

The lunch menu at "The Orangerie" is not vast, but would cater for most tastes.

The house baked bread was top notch.

I had the scallops which were good.

My partner had the Angel Hair seafood pasta and to be honest it was ordinary. The pasta was over cooked and the dish lacked flavour.

My main was the fish of the day, in this case Swordfish. Whilst it was very tasty, the portion was tiny for a main meal and would not have filled a decent sandwich.

Others with us had the lamb dish that they described as being delicious.

Getting the bill was somehow a problem and I would say we waited 15-20 minutes before one of our party had to go chasing it.

We took our own cake for the celebration and having finished our meal it took far too to get the remaining portion of it back to the table so we could depart.

So our experience was a mixed bag. To be honest , for the price , the food is inconsistent , certainly not good value based on the price charged.

Yes, it a beautiful property and it needs upkeep and to an extent diners are paying for an experience, but the restaurant needs people to keep coming back for the food which was hit and miss.

My rating is a bit harsh but Hordern's is pitched as fine dining and frankly it did not reach that level consistently for us.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Sadly the restaurant closed. Well worth a visit to the beautiful olde world unique Gardens, sadly in crying need of upkeep.

Reviewed 11 February 2017

Last night was the ultimate experience in Fine Dining in the Southern Highlands.
From the moment we entered Hordern's Dining room till the moment we left everything was totally beautiful. Service, excellent presentation of beautiful gourmet food and perfect quiet music made the evening a total delight. The cost of $85 for 2 course or $95 for three courses was not expensive for the quality of food. Another nice touch was the serving of delicious hot bread and a cucumber & yoghurt soup which was very refreshing.