“The staff were civil but not friendly”
Review of Hordern's

Hordern's
Ranked #28 of 97 Restaurants in Bowral
Price range: US$21 - US$142
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hordern's Restaurant offers fine a la carte dining with an extensive wine list. Rich fabrics, high back chairs and soft lighting, give a distinctive feel of the great restaurants of France. Magnificent views of the garden thoroughout the day and night. Open seven days for lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 11 June 2017

Going for a drive to Bowral with our elderly parents we decided to drop in to Milton House for afternoon tea. Unfortunately, as we were not booked into Milton Park as hotel guests we were not permitted to stay for coffee. I found this totally unbelievable. I have visited many exclusive hotels around the world and this is the first time I was made to feel out of place. The restaurant had only 8 guests dining. Surely there is a better way of handling this. As a consequence I would never choose to stay at such an elitist venue. While the venue looks beautiful, the snobby culture within is extremely unappealing.

2  Thank paulvW6471JI

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Hordern's is a restaurant that is part of Milton Park, a property established by the Hordern family many years ago.

It is a beautiful "old money" type of property. Very picturesque with long established trees and well tended gardens.

Parking is ample and not far from dining areas with a drop off zone for those who cannot walk far.

The dining areas and rest rooms are very clean. Tables are well spaced.

We found the staff to be act quite professionally with some annoying glitches along the way.

We visited for lunch to attend a birthday celebration.

The lunch menu at "The Orangerie" is not vast, but would cater for most tastes.

The house baked bread was top notch.

I had the scallops which were good.

My partner had the Angel Hair seafood pasta and to be honest it was ordinary. The pasta was over cooked and the dish lacked flavour.

My main was the fish of the day, in this case Swordfish. Whilst it was very tasty, the portion was tiny for a main meal and would not have filled a decent sandwich.

Others with us had the lamb dish that they described as being delicious.

Getting the bill was somehow a problem and I would say we waited 15-20 minutes before one of our party had to go chasing it.

We took our own cake for the celebration and having finished our meal it took far too to get the remaining portion of it back to the table so we could depart.

So our experience was a mixed bag. To be honest , for the price , the food is inconsistent , certainly not good value based on the price charged.

Yes, it a beautiful property and it needs upkeep and to an extent diners are paying for an experience, but the restaurant needs people to keep coming back for the food which was hit and miss.

My rating is a bit harsh but Hordern's is pitched as fine dining and frankly it did not reach that level consistently for us.

1  Thank desktop_critic
Reviewed 16 March 2017

Sadly the restaurant closed. Well worth a visit to the beautiful olde world unique Gardens, sadly in crying need of upkeep.

Reviewed 11 February 2017

Last night was the ultimate experience in Fine Dining in the Southern Highlands.
From the moment we entered Hordern's Dining room till the moment we left everything was totally beautiful. Service, excellent presentation of beautiful gourmet food and perfect quiet music made the evening a total delight. The cost of $85 for 2 course or $95 for three courses was not expensive for the quality of food. Another nice touch was the serving of delicious hot bread and a cucumber & yoghurt soup which was very refreshing.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

This is a lovely room. Quite, elegant and stylish. With a beautiful view over the garden of Milton Park. I was there for a lunch with a friend when we decided to indulge in some fine dining. I ordered Coquille Saint Jacques - a blast from the past! The scallops were tender but the sauce had almost disappeared and dried out while under the grill. The menu reads better than it tasted and looked. I had confit of duck - since when does one pair duch with a boring salad on pea shoots? Come on lift your game so we really can enjoy a fine dining experience. However - a bright spot was our waiter Jason. What a delight! Fast efficient and friendly.

1  Thank Looksee999