“Confused.com!”
Review of The Carew Arms

The Carew Arms
Ranked #7 of 32 Restaurants in Torpoint
Price range: US$13 - US$42
Description: The Carew Arms is a seasonal, local, field-to-fork pub in the little village of Antony. The kitchen is headed up by Emily Watkins (ex The Fat Duck, Great British Menu winner for the South West and owner of The Kingham Plough) and Jack Clayton (ex The Gurnard's Head). There is also a hybrid community and farm shop, cafe and private dining room.
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

I've just read by chance the reviews for this delightful pub, and have to confess I'm very confused. The are two extremes of reviews here, and in my mind there should only be one type of review. We called in on 21st June, going to see our daughter, and requested food. We learned early on that the young couple had only taken over the pub a few days earlier, so we had some concern about their capabilities. How wrong we were! The visit, from start (meeting the delightful beagle, Watson) to chatting with the locals then finally being able to thank the chef personally for an absolutely delicious meal. Who would have thought Mac'n'cheese would match up so well with crab?! And my belly pork was an absolute dream. My husband chose the home made burger in home made sour dough bap, and struggled to eat it all. He didn't leave a single chip, though -it sounds mad but those were the best chips I have EVER tasted!
My husband reluctantly admitted defeat and had ice cream as dessert. I opted for the fruit scone souffle with strawberryy jam ice cream and clotted cream custard, and was so delighted to eat the lot! Cornish cream tea in such an original way! As the waitress (turned out to be new Manageress!) told me, it's light as air, so even if you're full there's room for this dessert! Our daughter wants to come with us next time, she got fed up with our raving about the meal we had on the way to see her, and was unimpressed when we couldn't eat the evening meal she had prepared for us!
So, these rather negative reviews... No idea where these people usually eat, but we found the staff extremely obliging, the locals very friendly (towards us and the new staff, a very good sign, I would think) the pub totally charming, and the food an absolute delight. Come and try for yourselves. And even better - the new staff were preparing to reopen the adjoining cafe, which had been closed by former managers with the shelves still full of stock. Breakfast food, coffees and teas, along no doubt with the obligatory Cornish cream teas. We'll be back! The very best of luck to the new management, they look like they're prepared to work their socks off as well as integrate into the village. Well done so far too the young couple (names escape me but they did introduce themselves).

3  Thank Georgina B

Reviewed 16 July 2018

booked a table here, as have driven past many times & thought it looked welcoming.
Read the reviews on here & then felt apprehensive but after eating a wonderful lunch here I can only believe that the other people who have reviewed must have been at a different place. This was faultless.
Very warm welcome by bar staff & a few locals when we went in. We were shown to our table with our drinks. Hubby ordered Belly Pork which was very flavoursome & plenty of meat. (so much that he had a doggy bag) I had a very very tasty Hake fillet (although the Crab Sauce with it was not to my liking). We were so full that we declined dessert but the ones that were being brought to other tables looked very nice. We went into the beer garden to finish our drinks without so much of a blink of the eye being as we had not yet paid our bill. The beer garden was clean . Finally we went back in to pay & left the premises but I can assure you we will be coming back . Thank you each & everyone.

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

We stopped by hoping that our dog would be welcome and we are very glad he was!

We had some great food and the service was just as good, honestly some of the best food we had our whole trip!

Very friendly and efficient service even though the restaurant was quite busy, we couldn’t have asked for more!

Thank you so much for being dog friendly as there are not as many places as you would hope being a nation of apparent dog lovers!

1  Thank mknibbs
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

A beer ‘garden’ with dog mess all around and so much traffic you could be sitting on the central reserve of the M1.
Barking dogs in the restaurant hardly creating a great ambience.
Glasses left out on ‘garden’ tables all day without collection.
As for the food, after the above, we gave up.

6  Thank EyeSpy10
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Just returned from our very brief stay at the Carew Arms. Looks like a decent place but we couldn't stay, it was more like a dog kennel than a Michelin guide restaurant.

First off, we had a beer there in the afternoon and the garden tables hadn't been cleared since we last visited. My father in law's pint glass was in exactly the spot he left it earlier. Add to that the dog mess in the corner which was just gross.

Then we entered the bar. Beautifully set out inside, and the staff were pleasant. However there were two dogs in the restaurant area. I'm not 100% sure but I think the dogs were barking at each other or it was the owners dog upstairs, either way it was not what you want when you're paying decent money for a night out.

Such a shame as we were really looking forward to ending our holiday in style.

5  Thank Steven W