“Very good. Worth a visit. A touch noisy and, on our visit, short staffed.”

Halfway House Inn Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Kingsand
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

We visited twice in a week and this pub and restaurant is good. Good ales. Good wines. Good kitchen. Staff really tried to help but fundamentally there aren’t enough of them.

I’d estimate the venue seats nearly 50 covers. Yet on a Thursday - their publicised steak night - there were only two FOH staff. They did very well indeed - but they should not be under this pressure. Apparently there was also only a single person in the kitchen; and again, the food was very good despite this.

Menu selection is good. We tried the beef and chorizo burger, kids sausage and mash, kids fish and chips, adult fish and chips, and two steaks. Everything very good. Steaks cooked medium rare as expected.

I requested English mustard and got a good pot of it with a spoon which is a massive relief; tiny pots and sachets don’t live here which is as it should be.

Other than the lack of staff the remaining quibble is the decor. Looks great. Walls, floor and ceiling are flat shiny surfaces so the noise is imposing. Add a yapping dog or screaming child and it is intolerable on the ears. Our B&B guide book warned about this yet I didn’t think it would be as obvious.

We tried one dessert which was salted caramel cheesecake. It was very good. Only downside was that it was served with some kind of butterscotch ice cream. Any icecream was a pleasant surprise but personally I prefer plain ice cream with such a rich dessert. It would have been great to have the option.

Definitely recommended; my notes here are mainly for management to tweak and an explanation of merely being awarded “very good” (4*) rather than “excellent” (5*). The staff make it. Recommended.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

This Inn is called the Halfway because at one time the county line ran through the pub and it was in half in Devon, half in Cornwall!
We arrived on a blustery evening and asked for a table...They were fully booked and so we had a drink...local beer for my husband and Cornish cider for me. Very friendly chatty time by the bar and then later a table became available and we had an excellent seafood supper. Kingsand is a lovely place so it was really nice to extend our time here in a good pub.

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Visited The Halfway House for food & drinks on a Friday night, as stayed just across the road in Spindrift.
Lovely atmosphere & very friendly waiter / bar man. Between the 6 of us we probably had most options on the menu and all meals were really good; fresh, high quality ingredients.
We visisted on a Sunday too & we all had the roast beef which was fantastic & rivalled many top roast dinners I had in London.
Would definitely return if in the area again!
Recommend booking as we did as was busy all the time.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I was visiting with family for lunch over the weekend, it was great food, but very understaffed the young lady behind the bar handled it well but that should not be the case, it was very very busy! I was in numerous times and didn't once see any managers!

Reviewed 20 September 2017

After having an exceptionally tasty lunch at The Halfway House Inn my husband and I decided we had to go back for dinner and it certainly didn't disappoint.
The food was just amazing - utterly delicious and perfectly presented and it was all washed down with a fantastic Malbec.
The pub itself is warm and welcoming and the staff were very friendly and attentive.
We love Cawsand and Kingsand and are already looking forward to booking a break there again - with this pub being an absolute must for a meal out (or two!)