“A bit of extra effort required.”

Chevin End Guest House
Ranked #10 of 10 Ilkley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights recently with our two children. We were in the new block (I think) and we were pleasantly surprised after seeing pictures that suggested this place was tired (it was al that was available for the dates we required).

It's difficult initially to work out where you are meant to go when you arrive. You turn in for the guesthouse but then are met with a multitude of buildings and no clue is given as to where you're meant to go.

The host came out and was ok - but didn't have much Yorkshire warmth. After showing us our room she departed sort of like she'd had enough of us.

The room is fine - two beds as required but no cot bed provided and we ended up buying a travel one as we have other uses for it coming up. It only cost £30 and you'd think they'd just get one to use now and again if required.

Breakfast the next day was fine, but one egg per plate and when my husband asked for toast we got 4 slices - between 4 of us. Despite there being 4 of us, we only ordered 3 breakfasts as I often share with the baby, but the portions were a little meagre for that. On the second day there were bananas available but I don't remember seeing them the first day.

After we departed the dining room, my husband told me he'd had to go through several bowls to find one that was clean for our daughter to have some cereal. I have to say, the next day I had a similar ordeal. It just appeared that dried on cereal hadn't quite been removed by the washer/dishwasher.

The wet room is nice but as with all wet rooms, you have the issue that the entire floor gets wet and then you have to use the sink without socks on. Therefore we put a towel on the floor (that we'd used to clean something up) and on returning later in the day found that it hadn't been replaced, just hung over the sink.

The bed had also only been loosely made.

The next day was much the same. I don't know if it was us and the host just didn't take to us, but she didn't seem to want to get involved in chit chat or go through the pleasantries.

For breakfast we requested beans/scrambled eggs and toast and again it was 4 slices between us all and me sharing with the baby. I had thought because I wasn't ordering a full breakfast that there would have been toast on the plate and then the 4 slices...I almost felt that I'd have been told off if I'd requested food for the baby.

Overall, it's a peasant enough place to keep your head down and the pub just a short walk away is excellent for dinner. But there were no extras to make this a memorable stay. The biscuits weren't replaced, everything seems to be done to the extent that it's as little as possible. Maybe they are run off their feet. It just seems a shame as they must have invested heavily in the new block and all that's required is a bit of extra effort to make this a really lovely place to stay.

The views are awesome

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Stayed for 1 night last night and have to say the place was great! Wonderful views and the room was large and clean-very comfy bed and lovely shower. Breakfast was excelle nt! Pub was a few minutes from here and the food was great and plenty of it. Would recommend this place to anyone who wanted a comfy b&b

Room Tip: all rooms en suite and on ground floor
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2017

Stayed for One night prior to attending a rally in the area. room was spacious and airy, hosts were helpful and friendly. clean and tidy throughout and a nice breakfast the next morning finished off a pleasant stay at a reasonable price

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2017

What a lovely place this is. The room was absolutely spotless, cheerful, with a very comfy bed and a lovely powerful shower. Couple this with views to die for from the bedroom window!
Our breakfast was cooked to order and was delicious. So nice to find somewhere that can cook bacon properly.
Our welcome from our host was warm and friendly, and our dogs were made more than welcome.
Can't recommend this place highly enough
On a down side, the pub at the end of the track let us down somewhat. We went in for a meal with our two dogs. Of the only two tables in the bar where you're allowed to sit with dogs, we were told that these are booked, every Saturday, by the same people. We later discovered that they hadn't turned up! So we ended up having to drive around to find somewhere to eat; which we didn't want to do. I would suggest that if you want a doggy friendly table in the pub you ring up beforehand and try to book it. Failing that, The Royalty served a very nice hotpot.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2017

I was in Ilkley for a conference so stayed at the Chevin End Guest House for one night. I had called Anne previously to confirm the room and let her know when I would be arriving. She met me at the guest house and showed me my room. I was immediately impressed. I had room 6. It was light, spacious and airy with a beautiful view. The bathroom, which was also a wet area, was lovely and the whole room was clean and modern. Breakfast was included in a very reasonable room rate. All in all I loved my stay and thought the guest house was great value for money.

Room Tip: Room 6 has lovely views
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Carmen G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
6.9 km away
6.1 km away
The Wheatley Arms
The Wheatley Arms
#2 of 10 in Ilkley

Been to Chevin End Guest House? Share your experiences!