“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Barbara, California
“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This was the first time I traveled to a country that I had never been to on my own. From the moment I arrived at the Villas de Palermo I felt comfortable and safe. The activities that were organised enabled me to make friends right away. The food was good. The accommodation was spacious, very clean and had spectacular views. The staff were quick to smile and always willing to help. It was my first visit, but I was in the minority. Almost everyone I met had been there before; that speaks more about the place than anything I could possibly write.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Happy_Kayaker, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thanks for sharing the fact that so many of our guests return each year for a sunny vacation in a comfortable location. We agree that it is hard to beat Villas de Palermo for luxury, comfort and a friendly smile!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed at the Villas twice and both times were awesome. The facility is in a prime location overlooking the Bay. Every night is a breathtaking sunset. You are close enough to town and yet far enough away. The first time I stayed there was with my best friend and we had a great time. This time I took my two young sons (ages 4 and 7) and they enjoyed the pool and all that the Villas had to offer. I felt very safe there with them and all of the staff were very kind to us. I would recommend Villas de Palermo to anyone looking for a relaxing place to stay in San Juan Del Sur.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank burns3333
BKLYN
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My wife and I have lived and traveled all over the world and our trip to San Juan del Sur was possibly the best trip ever. This was mostly in part to the great staff and accommodations at Villas de Palermo. We stayed at the Villas for 12 days with our 2 young children and from the moment we arrived on the property, we were treated as if we were family and not just "guest." From the gate staff to the gardeners, wait staff and house keeping, everyone there were awesome!!!

As it was our first time to NIcaragua we weren't sure what to expect and went into the experience with an open mind. From the moment we hit the gate it blew us away. The property is in great condition and well maintained. The guys at the gate are exactly what they need to be....friendly and pleasant but most importantly they're paying attention to who's going in and out and not just throwing the gate up for anyone. They have a great check in system and are really on the ball. When we arrived at the reception office, we were in and out with ease and were helped to our Villa with no problem. Great service!!!

The Villa's are impeccable!!! They are the perfect size for a family of 4 and could easily accomodate more. There is plenty of room in the kitchen to make your own meals if you choose and we'd recommend hitting the market just down the road....I walked, but you can easily get the shuttle to drop you off and possibly wait for you. You're in the tropics so expect to see ants and gecko's but for sure your villa will be spotless. Maid service comes everyday and will even do your dishes.....what!!!!! And there's some english speaking stations on the t.v. if you choose to veg out on the couches.

The club house with it's great pool, bar, and restaurant, is the perfect place to hang out on lazy days. The staff is great and very professional while the food coming out of the kitchen is a lot better than some places north of the Mexican border. Our kids ate chicken fingers and fries the entire time but they were the best chicken fingers and fries we've ever had....when traveling with kids it's the little things. Cocktails were perfect and there aren't many places that can beat $1.30 beers. There was live music a few times during our stay that went on way into the night and it was like a good partying in our backyard. The Villa's does a great job at making things comfortable and easy while still keeping the experience top notch. It's not the "Villas de Palermo & Spa" so expect massages by the pool and someone walking around kissing your a$$ every 5 minutes. It's a very relaxed and cool atmosphere with everyone doing there jobs, well I might add, without that annoying in your face feeling. Oh, and don't miss yoga everyone Mon, Wed, Friday.

Personal note: If you're looking for an amazing experience to either bring your family or fly solo then get to San Juan del Sur immediately. You don't have to be a surfer to enjoy the beach or town and will find the easy going vibes really enjoyable. Everyone and everything is laid back and "tranquillo", nothing is rushed. If you're planning on running around crazy and putting everyone in an uptight mood then stay home. This place is special and they people are also very special and deserve the respect you would ask for if someone was visiting your home. We're already two weeks back from San Juan del Sur and my 3 year old is still talking about it. He's even running around saying "hola" to everyone. This excitement is a result from hospitality, shown to my entire family, while staying at Villas de Palermo.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BaDnEwZz
Happy_Kayaker, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
You make me want to get on a plane and come to Nicaragua - wait a minute - I already live here at Villas de Palermo!!! We are especially enjoying the little kids this year - making us laugh and having so much fun in the pool. The Living Social and Groupon specials this year have brought more families and a younger crowd of vacationers - keeping us on our toes with more fishing trips, more surfing and morning yoga. Let us know what you are looking for and we'll try to set up for your perfect vacation. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed at the Villas twice and have had a great experience both times. Each villa has 2 bedrooms, a large common area and full kitchen. The market is less than a mile away so you can buy everything you need to cook. The service is very attentive and cleans the entire Villa daily. Service by the pool is also on point for drinks and meals.

• Stayed February 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We arrived to San Juan del Sur with a few hotels in mind but not sure which to stay at. After attempting to go to Pelican Eyes, which had only very expensive rooms left, our taxi driver brought us to Palermo. We were thrilled to have a villa all to ourselves with a fully equipped kitchen, which we definitely used to cook our own meals. Normally we love cooking our own meals, however, we just wanted to relax and order food on our second night. There was a private wedding party by the pool area so the kitchen and pool closed at 4pm, which left our desire for room-service unsatisfied. Either way, the villa was a lovely place to stay, and the upside to the private wedding party were the fireworks that were set off later that night, which we watched from our balcony. It would have been nice to receive some kind of discount or free meal or something because of the limited access to amenities due to the wedding, but oh well. It was a relaxing weekend that I definitely needed after many consecutive and stressful weeks at work! And they do offer a free shuttle service to town between 8am-6pm. The sunsets on the beach are to die for.

Room Tip: As far as I know, all the villas have a view of the sunset, so don't worry.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Happy_Kayaker, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
We agree that the needs and expectations of our guests sometimes collide. We do try to inform guests of scheduled events, such as weddings, when they are inquiring about reservations, but that doesn't help with the annoyance or inconvenience of having to go out on the town for dinner when the restaurant and pool area are closed for a private event. When our restaurant is closed for a private event, we do extend the hours for our free shuttle to make it a little easier to go into town for dinner and still have a ride back to your villa.

I did enjoy the fireworks, too!!! Five minutes of fireworks better than my hometown offers on the fourth of July!!

Thanks for sharing your comments.