I would evaluate this hotel as not a super deluxe resort, BUT it does have a lot going for it.
The rooms are very creatively put together with high bamboo ceilings and kind of an undulating bumpy but smooth painted cement wall surface. Seating emerges from the undulating walls. The beds are built with this same construction so you are sleeping upon a cement platform with a very comfortable queen size bed mattress. There were 2 queen size beds in our room. The rooms are air conditioned and all seem to have beautiful views of San Juan Del Sur harbor. The hotel is built on a hillside so yes there are lots of steps. There were some small ants cruising around the floor in our room but after all you are in the tropics. I have seen the same thing in Miami so not a big deal. If I had it to do over again I would book the "Jasmine" room. Closest to the pool, restaurant and fewest stairs. Their infinity pool overlooking the harbor is beautiful and well tended to. The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and gracious. All in all, the people of Nicaragua are warm, friendly & very helpful should you need directions along the road. (We drove here from Costa Rica) This hotel is a short drive from the CR border about 35 minutes or so.
San Juan Del Sur town is very charming with one waterfront Tiki Hut restaurant/bar after the other, right along the waterfront. My wife and I felt very safe walking the streets even at night. There are very few cars in the town so that makes strolling the streets fun and safe. Don't miss the brick oven pizza (Forgot the name but right in the main restaurant row along the beach). Also, Henry's Iguana is a fun bar with decent inexpensive food.
We drove to the colonial city of Granada from here (About an hour & a half drive) and it was well worth the trip. Have lunch at "Lily's" it is awesome.
The Nicaragua countryside is lovely and peaceful. Traveling north, you are driving along side Lake Nicaragua with the twin Volcanoes as a backdrop. There are more horse and buggies than cars.
Ironically, you see many wind turbines along the way that make you wonder why we can't get this going in the U.S.?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur