Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Agoda.com
US$25
View deal
Free cancellation until 06/08/21
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
All reviews labrang monastery the owner across the street yogurt his team the location is perfect couple of nights surrounding area min walk small town driver lanzhou english china tibetan scenery tour
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 August 2020

I stayed for eight days at the Overseas Tibetan Hotel during July 2020, a month that will go down in infamy as a difficult time to travel. However, when I initially emailed Losang, the owner of Overseas Tibetan Hotel, and mentioned my interest in travelling to Gansu, he was immediate and thorough in his response back. In fact, he set up my entire itinerary, including arranging a driver to take me from Lanzhou to Xiahe, then onto to Langmusi, then back to Lanzhou. He also booked rooms for me in hotels outside of Xiahe, and made certain these bookings would be honored before I arrived (with Covid this has unfortunately been an issue for some hotels when foreigners try to book.) He truly took care of every detail in my panning, and made no complaints when, upon arrival to Xiahe, suddenly changed them (I liked Xiahe too much to leave, so he cancelled my booking in Langmusi without causing penalty.) During my time in Xiahe, the fabulous Lily who works at the hotel was my personal guide through the surrounding grasslands and town, giving me an excellent and fascinating introduction to Tibetan culture. Honestly, I can not say enough wonderful things about Lily!

As mentioned in the previous reviews, Xiahe is a beautiful town and a refreshing change from the sweltering humidity of Shanghai. The scenery is stunning and you can go off wondering and hiking the hills in almost any direction, or you can simply wander through the neighborhoods of Xiahe, which are fascinating in themselves. But whatever you do, be sure to bring sun block and chapstick, because you're going to need it!

2  Thank jstheodora
Reviewed 2 August 2020

Nice big room with Tibetan touches. View of main street and its interesting characters. Very helpful friendly knowledgeable manager without being overbearing. Close to gompa, amenities and walks in the hills

Room tip: 3rd floor is better because it's higher up for a view. Front facing rooms give a gompa and street view.
Reviewed 23 July 2020 via mobile

This was an outstanding escape to the mountains and away from the crowds of Shanghai and Suzhou. We planed to stay for a few days and ended up staying for more than two weeks. Since we couldn’t leave China to return to Europe we had to find somewhere to relax. It was the perfect place to be and Losang, who is the owner / manager of the Overseas Tibetan Hotel and his team made sure we found the people and places we wanted to see. The hotel is 100 from the corner of the Labrang Monastery from where you can walk the perimeter of the monastery, a 3km / 40 min walk or you can venture into the interior of the monastery and visit the various schools. We were able to get unique insights into the life of the monks, to walk into the grasslands climbing up to 3900m without seeing anyone. The town is 2850m and the air is good but feels a but thin when climbing. You might feel a bit uncomfortable for the first day. Bike hire, horse back riding, temple visits,shopping, and helpful advice about where to eat, even for vegetarians. July has grasslands full of flowers, Edelweiss! The rooms are clean and comfortable, we think all with twin or triple beds and some family rooms. The staff are all courteous and go out of their way to help. Evenings are quiet and the town gets busy quite early if the windows are open, we could batten down for a late start. A light European breakfast was included. Xiahe seems to be opening up for foreigners and a longer stay provides a great insight into the lives of the Tibetan community in this small town. Take your own coffee if you are a coffee lover!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2019

I'm recommending this hotel to a friend and I realized that I'd not written a review yet. The owner Losang made our stay a terrific and unforgettable experience. We were in a tour group and he talked with us and answered any and all questions (in excellent English), took us on tours, and directed us to amazing restaurants. One was in his friend's home and we had the chance to try all foods related to yaks as well as tour his Buddhist home and learn about life there. The fact that it is right beside the largest Buddhist monastary in China is another plus. Our room's large windows opened onto the main street with all its shops and it was fascinating to watch the world pass by. The bathroom is very simple, but adequate. We slept well. Breakfasts were delicious, especially the yak yogurt.

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed 26 November 2019

Staying at this charming hotel was like stepping into a different world -- one of simplicity, friendliness, helpfulness. And yaks. Our rooms were comfortable and the breakfasts were good. The owner Losong organized outings and local experiences for us that gave us an insight into Tibetan life in the area. Not to be missed!

Date of stay: October 2019