All reviews memorial day weekend fire truck rides camp store fran campers privacy blast bingo ages activities kids
Reviewed 15 September 2010

My extended family found Ponderosa Pines after realizing that the campground we had been visiting had shut down after more than 20 years in business. After reading several reviews I was wary about the trip because it was far out into PA and I was unsure of the service we would receive. Let me say that we were pleasantly surprised. The owner and staff were exceptionally friendly and welcoming! This is a small campground and the sites are closer together. We did have both tents and pop-up trailers in sites 18-21. Some of the sites need leveling and there is NO grass all dirt and the ground is a little rocky, so air mattresses are a MUST. The sites we stayed in were in the woods full of, can you guess, pine trees, hence the name of the place, so it was colder with no sun exposure. These sites were also on a small mountain, so trips back up from the bathroom were uphill, however, there was A VERY CLEAN portable toilet very close, so no need to trek to the actual bathroom unless showering. As for the facilities, I would say they were clean, but it was a little crowded for showering with only 2 stalls in each. My husband had to wait one morning with all the showers and toilets full. However, you are camping, so I balked at his need to shower more than once during the long weekend. I didn't go into the store other than to check in, so I can't comment on what they serve there, however, I can say that their new lakeside cabins looked beautiful as was the lake that has catch and release fishing. The pool however was very murky and while there were children using it, I wouldn't have been that brave. It was Labor Day weekend and rather cold, so there wasn't an immediate need for it. There were a lot of activities for kids and a great playground. One night there was a hay ride and the next a fire truck. My family is a loud and rowdy group and we were very glad for the tolerance of the other campers as well as the staff! Not to mention that the cost was only $18 per person in a group of 20 with 4 sites, which I found EXTREMELY cheap! I would recommend this campground to others and had an overall excellent time!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank rosey57a
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I made reservations on the phone with Fran the owner who seemed extremely nice. I booked cabin 2 and 2 new tent sights which I was told were brand new, leveled, and very grassy and were right near the cabin. This was ideal since we were traveling with 2 other families.
My husband called in the morning to confirm the reservations and was told all is ready.
After driving 3 and a half hours to get there we drove into the campground to find the dinkiest of mini golf and a run down pool. OK I would try it anyway. My husband went in to sign us in only to be told our tent sights were destroyed by a "tornado" that blew through a week ago and they were all mucky and not useable and the 2 tent sights were moved down the street. However if we wanted we could use the unuseable sights. Upon review of them they were wet and not mowed at all- not tables or fire rings in sight- which I was told they were equipped with. Upon review of the distance between the cabin and the other tents sights we decided this was not for us. Asking for a refund was a joke. Our argument was we called to confirm in the morning and were not told of the change Fran's answer- why should I have to tell you that? Our other argument was we were with 3 families of small children and we could not safely commute between the 3 sights which were not close. She was not sympathetic at all.
Needless to say we did not get a refund- Fran was nasty and rude and what we saw of the campground was not what the pictures led us to believe it looked like.

I cannot speak for the rest of the campground because it MIGHT be very nice.

If not for finding a campground down the road we would have had to turn around and go home because that is what we would have done rather than dealing with the owner anymore.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family