“Great Place To Relax!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Bronx, New York
“Great Place To Relax!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Like many others, I have a stressful job. The Lodge is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing, long weekend. Even though I was only there for three nights, I feel like I accomplished a lot. The variety of classes is incredible. I didn’t get to take all of the classes that I wanted to, due to lack of time, so I have to go back for another long weekend. The food is terrific! I got to try a bunch of different foods that I’ve never eaten before. The staff is incredibly friendly, and they all seemed to know who I was when I arrived. I’m not a “spa person”, so I can’t speak to that.

I chose The Lodge at Woodloch mainly for the classes, the trails, and the scenery. My experience went above and beyond my expectations!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Oakville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

There is only one thing I would suggest to the owners of the Lodge at Woodlock and that is to install hand held showers in the rooms. 'Love' the rainfall showerheads - but they aren't so great for rinsing off.

However, aside from that - this spa is about as perfect as it gets - gated entry allows the staff to be ready to welcome you. This continues with a friendly tour of the property and it amenities (there are a ton) from gentle stretching and 101 yoga to extreme fitness - art classes - cooking demo's and nature hikes. It has something for everyone.

I have to mention the food, since it is excellent! It does take a moment to adjust to the portion control. There is everything from soups - salads - baked goods - fish - beef to great desserts. The only element is that everything is right sized. I always stood up full, but never stuffed - and there was fresh fruit accessible everywhere. Light snacks were provided in the afternoon. The food disappears in the evening, which is a great for me. You can order off a room service menu - which looks lovely.

The building is beautiful in a rustic way - not stuffy. The rooms are elegant. As a single - I found that after taking a few classes - meeting new interesting people was easy.

I would recommend this property to anyone looking for a few days to enjoy and rejuvenate. Special thanks to Mary-Ann my Yoga instructor and Nathan the Herbalist.

Room Tip: The rooms are a good distance from the spa - so if you have difficulty walking - you should suggest...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I don't usually write reviews, but I had such a great time that I really want to share. (Plus, I depend so much on the review of others, I want to give back some. I'll try to be brief.)

The pros:
1. The staff is incredibly accomodating, attentive, and genuinely nice -- everyone from my daily hike guides (Jessie (very knowledgeable) and John) and the dining staff (Mallory and the pastry chef - both very sweet) to the spa concierge (poor Diane who picked up my panicked calls when I thought I was lost) and fitness trainers and therapist (Rachel -- very strong hands!).
2. My room was clean and quiet. The facilities are well maintained and one of the best I've been at, even for a Manhattanite. (Lodge is only 5 years old so everything is pretty new). Hot tubs (yes, there are 3!) all heavenly.
3. Food was overall excellent, though some dishes seemed to miss.
4. The offered activities ensure that your stay will not be boring -- outdoor (hiking, biking, geo-cashing), fitness (boot camp, cardio fitness), indoor (painting, cooking, wine tasting).
5. No tipping. Seems like a little thing, but a big plus for me because I am always worried -- should I tip? am I being rude? how much do I tip? I can't do the math. I only have $20 bills.

Basically, from the moment you step in, you feel totally relaxed that you don't have to worry about a thing. You can spend a day sitting at the outdoor fire or indoor library/lounges (I counted more than half a dozen fireplaces) or getting pampered at the spa or do nothing. The whole place feels like your vacation home nestled in the rustic woods with your own butler and chef. Since there are only 55 rooms (and I also went mid-week at low-peak), it never felt cramped or rowdy, and no kids to disturb the peace.

The cons:
1. The location is very rural and notwithstanding website directions, I had a slightly tough time because road signs can be hard to figure out (especially driving at night), and private roads means no GPS help.
2. This place is not cheap. Be prepared to shell out at least $200 for spa treatments.
3. Other than the Lodge, there isn't much in the town/area to do or see.
4. Many guests were walking around and dining in bathrobes. Didn't really bother me, but a little weird to see in public.

But I'm picking on little things. My stay was, in sum, really wonderful and I would highly recommend this place.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Dear Youneedtogo,

Thank you for your review, and for pointing out so many positive aspects of your stay with us. I am especially glad that you mentioned the "no tipping" policy as well. It is nice to be able to step out of your car on arrival and not have to worry about any of that. As you and many other reviewers have mentioned, our staff is very accommodating. We try 110% to accommodate each and every guest request. Thank you for noticing! Our rural location is one of our greatest strengths, because it truly allows you to get away from the hectic day-to-day routine; despite some winding roads to get here, the journey is a picturesque one. Once you are here, as you were able to experience, the Lodge is "the" destination, and that has been our goal since we opened in 2006. Being able to sit by the fire in your robe, as if you were at home, is a significant "plus" for many. I do hope that it didn't make you too uncomfortable, or that you felt as though you had to wear your robe. We can't thank you enough for your wonderful review, and we look forward to welcoming you back again!
Port Washington, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

This was a last minute decision to take my two adult daughters for a weekend. I have been to many spa resorts and this one was right up there with the best. the service was really perfect- every detail, right up to the food presentation and delivery of my car as I walked to the front dooor. The building and amenities were great, and the amount of class choices was perfect. Even though there were more couples here than I have seen at other spas, it was not uncomfortable and the atmosphere remained informal. One word to the wise, dont drive there in the dark- we could not believe the long winding scary backroad conditions at night. But once we were there it was all worth it!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear Susan k,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! It is an honor to hear that you would rate us among the best spas you have visited. We have found that we are a great destination for solo travelers, women traveling together, and couples - there is something here for everyone to choose from. I can certainly appreciate your concern with driving some of the country roads at night to get here - should you want us to pick you up next time, just let us know. We are offering door to door service (for a fee) to and from Manhattan and surrounding areas. It can ease the stress of having to worry about traffic, renting a car, and dealing with any weather that Mother Nature may throw our way. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Our first visit to the Lodge at Woodloch. Our plans were made at the last minute to get away for Valentine's Day. The overall experience in Woodloch was one of perfection. Everyone is in customer service mode "all of the time". Anything you need - just ask. That is just the start. The facility is immaculate. The rooms are very nice size and their rooms are all very modern and up to date. Anywhere you go, you can get towels, robes or amenities. I commented to the SPA representative - that I don't know how they keep up with replenishing and keeping the facility clean. As soon as you exit the shower rooms (which are all individual rooms with large showers and all the bath products required) there would be someone inside the room - sanitizing, wiping down the glass showers and replenishing the towels and cleaning the floors. But the funny thing was that I never really saw anyone doing it (they always kept the doors shut and were discreet. the facilities were amazing - with sauna's, whirlpools, outside hottubs, inside pools etc. There was also a list of services or classes to attend each day - which were included in the price. Everything from cooking demos to yoga, meditation, cardio etc. My only issue was that I didn't plan my day well before I came to the Lodge. So although I had a great time and experienced everything - I think I will plan my day a little more next time. Food was excellent. Breakfast and Lunch were part buffet, part menu. All items were healthy and delicious. Portion sizes were what they should be...... not triple sized - but we never walked away hungry. Dinners were served seated and typically had five courses - some edamame first, some small chef bite (like cucumber with hummus), an appetizer, salad and entree. We had wonderful meals each time with a wide range of options at dinner including Filet Mignon. You need to book dinner reservations - which I recommend around 7pm if you can. Anything later, and you might be napping !!! There are schedules posted everywhere, a fire pit on the back patio which was used heavily in the evening when we were there. We met some wonderful people - just minutes away from our home town. Everyone was friendly - and SPA ready !!! Numerous special guests were at the facility during our visit including a couples yoga expert, an herb specialist and all of the experts in yoga/spinning etc. Lastly, the SPA is heaven. I personally did a sports massage and walked away feeling wonderful. All of the technicians were knowledgeable and friendly - with the majority of the people we met having 2 - 4 services during the weekend. And there were plenty of people working to accommodate. I wouldn't recommend waiting until the last minute to book, but sometimes you can get lucky. Lastly the staff upon entering - valet, reception and housekeeping were extremely helpful and gracious. Our valet even ran to get our car because it was cold out and he saw us waiting outside. The nice part is all costs are included (including gratuities). Extras are for services, alcohol and wine tasting. But what you think might look pricey when you first evaluate turns out to be a heck of a bargin. The facility is worth every penny.....

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking the lake. They were extremely quiet but also a little warm...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
32.0 km away
6.9 km away
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!