“Terrific food vs. awful service”

Dodge City Steakhouse
Ranked #17 of 591 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 September 2018

This was our first visit to Dodge City and it was on a Wednesday during Restaurant Week, so we already knew what the dinner choices and the price of the meal would be. Our appetizers arrived one-half hour after we ordered and our food one hour and 15 minutes. I don't believe I have ever waited so long for a meal. No explanation was given other than it was Restaurant Week. So what? We had reservations and half the restaurant was empty. If you cannot handle Wednesday night, how would you handle a fully-packed weekend? The server was also neither attentive (as in refilling waters) or friendly.
All this being said, the food was absolutely delicious. The peach salad and king crab ceviche appetizers were fresh and unique, the steaks were done to perfection and the homemade desserts were appealing and tasty.
I am just not sure if we will visit again because in my opinion, the wait time was way too long.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

My Dad planned a surprise 45th anniversary dinner for family and friends. This was the perfect place. The kids (7, 13, 12) loved it and so did we middle ages and the seniors. Superior food for the price. Great drinks. Experienced and knowledgeable and friendly staff. Pride of ownership. If you go you won't regret it!!

Reviewed 10 September 2018

My husband & I dined in this past Saturday night 9/8/2018. My first impression; when we walked in we never smelled any food cooking. The staff was very friendly. The owner & his wife was friendly. The shrimp rangoon rolls; for appetizer; was good. I ordered the smokehouse tangler burger. The burger was dry as heck and had absolutely no seasoning. A well done burger does not mean dry and bland. My husband had the seafood bake & again it was bland. It needed some ole bay some seasoning. I told my husband when were seated; if you don't smell food cooking usually the food will be mediocre. And that's exactly what we got. Also there was a couple beside us that ordered a seafood entree & the woman sent it back because her shrimp was under cooked. The owner came out offered to have the dish re-cooked. Again this says alot. I rate this establishment as high as average because the staff was friendly. However the food was bland, tasteless and the presentation was average.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Restaurant is dated. Steaks were OK, but not the best. Son and I ordered Prime Rib, 12 and 16 oz cuts. Meat was tough and watery, not juicy. We both left about half of our orders on our plates. As we were walking back to ou car in a nearly empty parking lot, a worker had a bucket of hot water and was attempting to wash away something that had been “left” in the parking lot.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

My friends and I ate dinner here during the week and had no problems getting seated. The decor is kitschy and the lack of windows makes it a bit claustrophobic, but what it lacks in its setting is made up for in the quality of the food. We started with the house chips which were very generous in size and suitable for several people to share as an appetizer. Be warned, the chips are as addictive as they are filling! I went with the braised bison tacos, which was a nice and different take on traditional tacos. A friend got the cold smoked ribeye and was thoroughly impressed. The rest of the crew got burgers and salads and were happy with their choices.

Sometimes, when dining out, you’re looking for a total experience of good food and a relaxing, cool setting. Dodge City doesn’t really fit that mold. I would say it’s not exactly the type of place I want to spend a casual evening lingering over drinks and food while chatting with friends. Dodge City is more of a place to get in, get some good food and get on your way, especially as an alternative to the usual, standard fare of chain restaurants. And sometimes that’s what you need.