“Perfect steak”

Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 February 2018

I hadn't been here for probably 30 years but had good memories. The outside hadn't changed. It was a Saturday evening and the place was full. It was almost uncomfortably warm in the restaurant. The decor was maybe 80's, but the place appeared clean and not shopworn. The mood was busy and upbeat ... not quiet but conversation was no problem. We had a reservation for four and were seated immediately. Service was prompt and attentive if a bit harried. Drinks were good as were the appetizers. Two of us had New York strip steaks, one a seafood sampler platter, and one salmon. I personally had the New York strip ordered medium rare. The steak was large, and the seasoning and preparation were impeccable. It was absolutely delicious and one of the best steaks I've had. Everyone enjoyed their entree. Sides were a bit unimaginative but high quality and well-prepared. Between us we had 6 drinks from the bar, one soft drink, two appetizers four entrees with sides, one desert, and three excellent coffees. Total was $260 including gratuity -- not cheap but not unreasonable given the quality of the food. I knew I wasn't going to mind the bill and knew that I would be back as soon as I tasted my steak.

1  Thank David S
Postole, Owner at Progress Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Thank you for the nice review!

Reviewed 22 February 2018

we came here for my birthday because we heard good things bout this place. but i didnt see all the rave. the food was over priced for the taste. the decor was outdated and pealing off the walls.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We went there early after visiting the civil war museum on a Saturday. They open at 4 and I would recommend going early as it fills up around dinner. The seating is much larger than you would think.

We had the oysters Rockefeller which was not their best work with too much spinach ratio to oyster. The oysters were done correctly though.I also had the clam chowder which was above average. The wine list is not extensive but hits all the bases at good prices. I paid $30 for a bottle and was pleased as a wine snob.

Dinner came with rolls which were warm but with hard refrigerated/frozen butter pats. I guess we got there too early for the thaw. My wife had the prime rib which was very good. I will order it if we visit again. Not overly fat like a lot of restaurants so I missed out. I ordered the filet which was a bit overdone. They butterflied the cut and my medium ended up on the well side and over cooked on the outside. The cut was very good but medium order was a bad choice since they butterflied the filet (without my asking). Don’t think that you will get a Morton’s, Ruth Chris, or Fleming’s quality on the filet. Meat was good but not super premium.

Coffee was a bit harsh but it cut well with the cheesecake for dessert.

The crowd was older and likely a loyal following for decades. This place reminded me quite a bit of the Greek steak places around Williamsburg Va. It has better food than a chain but not a chophouse. On the other hand, prices were pretty reasonable so you could fine here 2-3 times before getting hit with a total bill of the premium spots. Of course, Hburg does not have these chophouse brands (no Morton’s). Parking is out back with stairs from the entrance to the bar. It was a bit confusing on the first visit.

1  Thank oldstocks
Reviewed 20 November 2017

We selected this location for dinner because it was close to the Civil War Museum, open early for dinner and had good reviews. The vibe is a steakhouse your parents would go to in the 60's. Sides- like Harvard beets and Andes mints after dinner with your check. The drinks are good and service is attentive. The food was disappointing. The portion for the prime rib was large, however, it was not seasoned. Mine was rare an it was tasteless my friend's medium rare was slightly better but still not seasoned. my husband had seafood in pastry and felt that there was fair. We did not have appetizers or desserts.We each had a main course and each had a drink. Dinner with tip and tax was roughly $150.00. The place became crowded as the evening progressed. The owner was there to greet the regulars.

1  Thank joanz359
Reviewed 18 November 2017

We frequent often and consistently great steaks and best seafood. Nothing fancy, but if you are looking for food not fancy frills a great place.

Postole, Owner at Progress Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Thank you!