“My camera worked, but...”
Review of Home 231

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Street
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

...we consumed the food too quickly for a decent shot. Eggs Benedict with crab; just crab with no fillers. Absolutely delish. Next up, octopus tacos. These don’t do we’ll hand-held, but yielded quite nicely to a fork and knife. Then a delightful salad, all followed by a coffee and an express. From the outside, the resto looks somewhat unpromising; snide, it’s as cozy as can be. The staff is delightful in terms of attitude; the service is great. This place is a gem.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

Been here several times and it's always good! Especially love their donuts and always make my family bring some home for me if they go without me!

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Food was good. Visually very appealing and different. Had shrimp and grits. The grits and veggies were fabulous, but the three large shrimp which were grilled and served w heads on were mushy. It came w a choice of salad, hash browns or fruit cup. Hash browns, which were served in a fried cube, were ok, but the fresh fruit cup looked beautiful. Restaurant is very tiny, but they handled our large group well. Good servers, and food came out in a timely manner for our big group.Menu is varied w lots of appealing choices. Thought $16 was expensive for a brunch sized portion containing only 3 shrimp.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

We stopped at Home 231 for dinner during a road trip we were taking down the east coast. We selected this restaurant using the TripAdvisor app looking for a restaurant that was downtown Harrisburg, that had good reviews, and was vegetarian-friendly.

Because we were very tired and hungry after driving 8+ hours thru the most recent nasty snow storm - we called ahead to make sure the restaurant was open and asked about parking. Happily, they were open and had a parking lot 1/2 block away on the same side of the street with a sign identifying it as being a lot shared by local two restaurants.

Using GPS we found the restaurant but could not find the parking lot in the dark and snow. We slowly cruised the street before calling them back. The person who answered snapped at us that the parking lot was just a 1/2 block away and had a sign. Said we saw one lot with no sign saying Home 231, but it had signs on the walls saying each spot was reserved for JHM(?) We asked if that was the same lot. They said no. We cruised the short street 2 more times and gave up. We parked in the lot with the signs saying "Reserved for JHM". As we walked to the restaurant we found a small black sandwich board saying parking for Home 231 ... but it had blown over and was covered with snow in the gutter. We tried to get it to stand-up again, but it blew over before we entered the restaurant. We told a staff member about the sign. It was not a good start to our dining experience.

They seated us in a cute table right at the front bay window. But it was so cold outside, it was miserable sitting near the window. We were too numb and tired to ask to be moved. The restaurant is an old, narrow building and I noticed as we were leaving that the tables near us were all empty and most of the dinners were tucked in at the tables at the back of the house.

Anyway, my vegetarian daughter ordered the Cheese Board and Beet Salad. She said the cheese was tasty, but skimpy for the price. She raved about the Beet Salad. Besides being served as a work of art, the flavor combinations were outstanding.

I ordered an entree that was a marinated/brined 1/2 chicken with a potato and green veggie. I really don't remember the sides. But I was disappointed with the chicken. I had never been served a 1/2 a chicken that had no white meat. I was served a very plump thigh and wing. I know most people say the dark meat has the more flavor, but personally, I am not a fan of dark meat. If the menu had specified the cuts, then I would have known to order a different dish.

We finished the meal with very good coffee and something chocolate. As we left the restaurant, a manager stopped by to apologize about the sign fiasco at the parking lot. Nice gesture, but too late.

1  Thank East_Coast_Foodie
Reviewed 23 January 2018

We had lots of choices for our pre-movie dinner date but had been wanting to try Home 231 for some time based on reviews and friends. Home 231 did not disappoint, from the hearty cheese board with delicious fig jam to the special of the day spicy steak and, according to my fussy wife, two really yummy crab cakes with a wonderfully subtle citrus coulis. Sadly we had no time to enjoy dessert and our cheerful server, Andre, but will make a point to plan a return visit.