“Fabulous Pre-Holiday Dinner ”
Review of Tavern On the Hill

Tavern On the Hill
Ranked #8 of 40 Restaurants in Enola
Price range: US$16 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tucked intimately into the Enola hillside, Tavern on the Hill is just 10 minutes across the river from Pennsylvania's Capitol Complex. Warmth emanates from the double glass doors, inviting you inside for a welcoming and intimate experience complete with the finest delicacies, craft cocktails, and exceptional service. Our eclectic menu features top quality meats, fresh, and sometimes rare seafood that is delivered fresh daily and skillfully-prepared. Our highly trained dining room and kitchen staff work together to provide you with an upscale, personal, and flawless dining experience . In addition to our regular menu, the Tavern offers a Blackboard Specials Menu. These featured items are hand-picked daily by our Executive Chef. Blackboard Specials may be hard-to-find delicacies such as exotic seafood or fish from halfway around the world, or a special cut of prime grade meat prepared in an uncommon way and/or with a delightful sauce using rare ingredients.
Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

We had a wonderful time at the Tavern. We were a table of 13 and they placed us in a private room which was perfect. The clientele is not very youthful so the private room was great for our big family, friends and young adults.

The drinks were outstanding. I tasted my first espresso martini and it was as smooth as can be. They also poured hefty drinks and nice sized glasses of wine.

The apps were very good... no oysters prepared in any fashion was available (which was a bummer) but the escargot was devoured. The meals came with salads but a few stepped out of the box and went for the Roquefort salad and a cranberry salad that was (from what I understand) “unbelievable”!

The “youngins” ordered steaks (t-bones, filets, Delmonicos, etc.) and they devoured everything! The portions were enormous and I still don’t know where they put it all! The rack of lamb, crab cakes and baked stuffed shrimp were huge hits, but the tuna steak was the winner of the night. The portion was huge and the wasabi sauce was just... OMG. It was crispy on the outside and rare on the inside... just perfection.

We left without coffee or dessert because we were all so full! I guess that means we must return soon!

Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Let me begin that I recently prepared a less than flattering review of the Tavern. To be transparent, it was Titled, "not the same". Fast forward...We revisited the Tavern last evening, and were literally over the moon with the entire experience. There were over 20 of us...of course there were many different appetizers, entrees and cocktails orders. They were so good that most of us were passing around samples for others to partake. And the wait staff were fast, smiling, attentive and enhanced the entire evening. With all that said, I am quite sure my last experience was an anomaly, so when you read it... pls disregard.

1  Thank Bobrom66
Reviewed 10 December 2017

My wife and I always take my sister, a widow, out to a fine restaurant for Christmas. This was a new venture for us and we were not disappointed. We were cordially greeted by the maitre d, almost fawned over by our waiter and the rest of the waitstaff, who worked efficiently as a team. My wife and sister had the King Salmon, which they thought was the best ever, and I had the veal chop which I found awesome. I saw some not-very-flattering recent reviews, but we all thought that this was a place to return. I think this place has been in business for some time, so repeat diners would be a must. Irregardless, we had a very fine meal.

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Six of us chose this restaurant for their Lobster dinner special THROUGH November (noted on their website and sign outside their restaurant)! We were not told when we sat down (and already ordered drinks)that the special was discontinued- we had to ask. When we explained that’s why we came we simply got “sorry.” I spoke to the manager and he told me they discontinued the special because no one ordered it the first week in November and offered nothing else. I called today and the gentleman I spoke to said they had sold 25 specials the night before and were out. When I told him that the manager told us something completely different he got upset with me. No one offered anything for their “incorrect” advertising and the gentleman hung up on me! Oh, I forgot to mention the couple beside was GIVEN dessert to take home since it was their first time there. Hmmm it was ALL of our first time there. I have never been treated that way at a restaurant. Very disappointed and will tell everyone!!!!!

1  Thank Tracy Lynn L
Angelo G, Guest Relations Manager at Tavern On the Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

We apologize. It is not incorrect advertising,
We were simply SOLD OUT OF LOBSTERS that evening.
The Maine Lobster special (1/2 lb Lobster for $19.95) is a very popular item.
At Tavern on the Hill, we pride ourselves on providing the best Maine Lobster to our guests.
We are buying Wild Caught live Maine lobsters (NOT tank-kept lobsters) for the special on a daily basis, and the fact that we have to sell them all at the same day makes it hard to have an abundant supply.
Our lobsters arrive alive, cooked to order, and are a fresh product that needs to be consumed the same day on a first come/first served basis.
We are not a franchise restaurant that serves frozen lobster tails.
Thank you for understanding.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

After a 2 year hiatus we decided to return to this classic place. We were attracted by the lobster special so traveled from York with friends. Here is the summary of experience... Only 2 in our party got lobsters be cause they ran out... disappointing. This was at 7. Than ...It was not untill after a I ordered that I learned there was a menu for the today's specials...( usually these menus are tucked in or attached to main menus.. but not tonight).
As for the food - The once outstanding oysters Rockefeller were now average, and the once "basket" of rolls is now one roll each. Entrees were maybe above average but considering the price it is not a value experience. When we departed, the maitre d who was standing at his desk didn't bother to say thanks, safe travels, or anything to express appreciation. To be fair he was busy with something... but acknowledging your departing guests should always be top priority of the host.

On the positive side, Our waitress was very nice, prompt and attentive and cocktails were good and reasonably priced. This is an honest review from one who often frequented the Tavern and hopes it is taken positively to help restore the iconic "Tavern".

1  Thank Bobrom66