“An interesting night out”
Review of Carts Bog Inn

Carts Bog Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were staying at Langley Castle and decided to opt for a pub meal as opposed to the lovely fine dining that Langley Castle always offers. We read some TripAdvisor reviews and popped along the road to The Carts Bog Inn. What a fortunate decision! The pub is in the middle of nowhere really so unless you are going by taxi (or are teetotal) a designated driver will need to be chosen . The pub is really cosy and rustic. The choice of beers is varied and should suit most tastes. The menu is probably what most of us would expect from a country pub but the quality was outstanding and the service was excellent from staff who were able to advise us on portion size!
My wife chose prawn cocktail to start with while I selected the carrot soup. Both turned out to be delicious bearing in mind they are fairly simple classics. We both then opted for The Carts Bog beef and mushroom pie. This came with chips and seasonal vegetables. We were glad we had read previous TripAdvisor reviews which suggested that if you had already consumed a starter a half portion might be advisable!! How true!! The pie was the best of its type we have ever tasted, rich gravy, loads of filling and superb pastry. Needless to say we couldn't handle a pudding. The waiter said that half portions were often requested ( by those who have eaten there before?). We would recommend anyone with an appetite to give this place a visit, you will not be dissapointed.

3  Thank Hopefultravellerr

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Lovely food good service and warm and welcoming,what more do you need!out in the Northumbria country side so spectacular scenery on route

1  Thank julie g
Reviewed 25 September 2017

The only thing DULL about today was the colour of the sky !!!!
We were lunching with a 94 year old relative/friend, and this place is HIS FAVOURITE ! [ Norman ], and ours.
We were given a warm welcome and a cosy corner table. The food was, as usual, very appetizing and we planned our meal around just leaving enough space to share a desert !!
The planning of my meal involved the remainder of my Lamb shank being transported back home to Whitley Bay and becoming a welcome high tea later.
Staff again made us feel very welcome - well done

See you again soon, Mike & Lynne

1  Thank lighthousemike2017
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Weve been here before and thoroughly enjoyed it but since its quite a trek from where we live we tried it again. Yet again outstanding!

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I came with a party of 11 for dinner. The booking system was efficient, Everyone enjoyed their meal. I was pleased to see the Bog Pie was still on the menu. I would recommend that. My guests also enjoyed the pork medallions and the Whitby scampi which tasted of e sea. The chips, new potatoes and veg were cooked to perfection. Several people enjoyed various ice creams. There is very good local ale too. The staff were extremely pleasant and obliging. However, I think they were a bit overstretched as I think they should have made a couple of visits to check that we had all that we needed. When I paid the bill the member of staff didn't assume that the surplus money was a tip. The staff did deserve their 10% tip but maybe the management should take on an extra person at busy times.