“Unique and Upscale Dining”
Review of Hyholde Resteraunt

Ranked #17 of 79 Restaurants in Coraopolis
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I celebrated Valentine's Day early at Hyholde. From the minute you enter the driveway, you know this is a unique restaurant. It has the feel of an old castle. The service was very good and the food/drink outstanding. They have a wide selection of beers and a few local drafts on tap. My wife and I shared the sherry bisque which was outstanding. For dinner, I had the short ribs with broccolini, and pistachio/huckleberry. The short ribs were tender and very flavorful. My wife had the prime filet with boursin potatoes which was also delicious. For dessert, we shared a rich chocolate tort that I would highly recommend. If you're looking for upscale dining near the airport, try Hyholde.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

Wow in a sea of mediocrity you stumble across a place of high cuisine and real class. How we wished we had discovered this earlier in our stay. Tremendous character and ambience with outstanding cuisine. Our first stop on any return.

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Had 6:40 dinner reservation for four. Got there 10 minutes early and they told us table wasn't ready and had us leave the building and walk across parking lot to converted garage they called the "carriage room". The room had a bar but no bartender. Waitress came and took drink orders and after 45 minutes came in and said table wasn't ready. She then brought us "crackers" and did not offer a menu or appetizers. During this time the owner came and told us the room was her favorite but did not bother to ask if we needed anything. An hour after our reservation time they came and got us and we walked back across the parking lot to into the restaurant. Our waiter greeted us (oblivious of our waiting situation) and we explained that we were hungry and he pretended not to listen and asked us if we wanted drinks, even though we had drinks. We explained we would like appetizers or something quick and he left and brought us crackers and left again. 20 minutes later he came back acting as if we were lucky to be dIning there and we told him we were starving and ready to order. He took the orders and rushed away without asking for drinks, even though everyone wanted a drink refill. 30 minutes later I left the table and found a manager and asked where our waiter was and was told he was very busy upstairs. I explained I ordered soup and all of us ordered salads to start and she said they would be coming right away. 20 minutes after that our waiter showed up with soup and salads ... this was now two hours past our reservation and nearly an hour past when we were sat at our table and I was just getting my soup ... which I wasn't surprised was barely warm. The really frustrating part was how our waiter and the manager both stated, "is everything outstanding" or similar ... when in fact it was laughably bad. The dinner continued in this fashion with our entrees taking another 40 minutes and only arriving after two of us asked managers where our waiter was and having to walk to a manager to order drinks. Twice we were told our entrees were "being plated in the kitchen", only to wait another 20 minutes. The owner was in the foyer and never bothered to apologize. When the waiter finally arrived with our entree, after 9:20 pm based on our 6:40 reservation, he gave us a patronizing smirk and said, "I hope everything is to your liking" ... at which point two of us broke out laughing at the absurdity of the situation. The manager tried explaining that they had a very important large party upstairs and that the waiter was very busy ... which of course made things worse. In the end, one of the managers kept insisting she would give us a free dessert but everyone just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible after being there from 6:30 until 10:00. Over the past 25 years I have had dinner at Hyholde no less than 30 times and it is clear they have lost all sense of service and are viewing it as a privilege for customers to pay >$60 per person to eat in their century old historic landmark. I advise you to visit one of Pittsburgh's many real historic landmarks, then have a truly great meal at one of the many fantastic restaurants in the city ... and skip the horrible dining experience that Hyholde has eroded to.

1  Thank Paul J
Reviewed 27 January 2017

The Hyeholde is located near the old airport in a very private charming and inviting setting. Old world elegance, modern American fare served by a very attentive staff. Menu is small but all the better. The chef is focused on making it a memorable experience. Recommend the Pistachio crusted Elk.

Reviewed 5 December 2016 via mobile

Every dish - appetizer, salad, soup, entree and dessert - was a hit in our group. They hit home runs across fish, seafood, beef and game. It's a little pricey, but aren't you worth it?