“Restaurant Review: The Agony and the Ecstasy”
Review of Gateway Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooksburg
Gateway Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Cooksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I dined recently at Gateway Lodge for the first time, with a party of four. The dining lodge has an ambiance which is rustic, yet regal. The exposed logs and well-maintained interior give a warm feeling.

One imbibing member of our party chose from Gateway’s extensive wine list. She was happy with her Chardonnay choice. Our group ordered some appetizers to share. The vegetable tempura had the just the right crispness of coating, and was accompanied by a lovely Thai dipping sauce. The steamed mussels in cilantro-tomato-garlic broth were outstanding in taste and were cooked just right, not overly tough. This was one of the best mussel offerings I have ever enjoyed in a restaurant. The grilled Hirsch pork “wings” were cooked perfectly, tender, and coated with a delicious balsamic barbeque glaze. Two members of our party ordered the cream of wild forest mushroom soup, and both raved about it, consuming every drop.

Now the downside. For my entrée, I ordered the pan-fried mountain trout with tomato mango salsa. This fish was “high,” meaning it was past its prime. I do not expect restaurant fish to be as fresh as that caught by my fisherman father, but I had never before eaten fish in a restaurant that was this far “over the hill.” I couldn’t stomach it. I didn’t want to send it back, as I felt badly for the young woman server trying to please. I enjoyed the sides: roasted potatoes and French green beans. I just boxed the fish to go, then disposed of it later.

My friends enjoyed their main dishes, which included the grilled stuffed mushroom cap entrée, the housemade pasta with season garden vegetable entrée, and the herb marinated chicken breast entrée. We all enjoyed our time getting together and soaking in the lodge atmosphere.

I had the s’more cake for desert, which was gooey, marshmallow-y and excellent! I would say that in general this restaurant is very good, but allowing that fish to be served was really a faux pas.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank EarthHeals

Reviewed 3 August 2011

This was our second visit to the Gateway and we plan to go back again in October to stay in one of the new cabins. The rooms are very comfortable and we found the staff to be friendly, warm and accommodating. We did not experience anything less than warm, welcoming and professional people. The Gateway is very near to the canoeing, kayaking and hiking that make Cook's Forest absolutely beautiful. Have stayed in the larger suites, and a smaller room, both very comfortable and well-appointed. This is a lovely lodge, and should nor be compared to a four-star metropolitan hotel. It's charming, it's in the woods and it's worth a visit!

Room Tip: Suites 1 & 2 are kid-free zones!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vava903
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed at the Gateway on Thursday evening during the heatwave this July.
Reception and spa folks very nice. Stayed in a suite. Large room, no TV. Very clean. The balcony looks out onto the side of a hill. Bed was very comfortable.
The mediocre:
Booked spa services. When we arrived, no manicurist. Was told that the front desk had tried reaching her to confirm reservations with no reply. Upon checkout we were told that "someone" had been told to contact us and let us know that there was no manicurist available during the week. Okay.....no phone call was made.
First bottle of wine that was ordered arrived chilled with glasses. Very nice until we realized the cork was dry and broken. Down to the desk for a new bottle. New bottle arrived not chilled.
At dinner, wine was again not chilled. Server refused to exchange for another glass of wine and told me to put ice in the wine! Ice.....in wine.....are you kidding?
Dinner was okay. Not great...not bad....just okay.
Afternoon Tea in the great room was very nice. Coffee in the morning was very weak and served in very small cups.
No turn down service.
Breakfast was mediocre. Pancakes very flat. Scones tasted like baking soda. Asked for ketchup three times. The lady at the next table said "maybe you should just get it yourself."
I'm not usually a picky person. I mean....I'm someone who really enjoyed a Sandals vacation! But.....for the price of this lodge, they are really missing the boat.
I discussed these issues upon checkout and the manager stated that she would speak with the owner, Deb. This was one week ago and no phone call or email as a follow up.
Unfortunately, will not be returning. Guess we're off to Nemacolin for future "getaways" instead!

Room Tip: Third floor ask for TV
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank LaurieTravels62
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We visited Gateway Lodge in July. We spent our wedding night in the honeymoon cabin 15 years ago, and couldn't wait to return to renew our vows and celebrate with family. Deb Adams and her team went above and beyond in all aspects of our stay to make sure we had a fabulous visit. We stayed in beautiful suites, and loved spending time in the Great Room and our porches. Breakfast is such an indulgence, and the new Aveda spa is impressive. The highlight of our visit was dinner in the Lodge's restaurant. One of the absolute best meals we have had in a long time, with service to match. We especially loved the local produce. Gateway has a fabulous, extensive wine list, which has been noted by "Wine Spectator." Deb, our personal thank you is on it's way. We can't begin to tell you how special our visit was. We will remember it always!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank LittleAngel822
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I hesitate to write a bad review, because I really loved the cabin we stayed in, and the services was awesome, but I have to post a review so everybody who reads this will be warned and know what to expect.

We stayed in cabin 2, and the place was quite charming. However, the cabin does not sleep 4. The 2 "double" beds are more like an oversize twin. I am not a big person, I weigh 120 and I'm 5'6. My husband is of average size too, but we couldn't fit in the bed together, I found myself clinging to the side of the bed, so i had to sleep on the love seat, or climb into bed with my 12 year old (not happening). I spent the weekend not getting much sleep. I wish we had known this, because we would have not booked this cabin. It was the only one available, but I think we would have stayed home had we known. The price of 170 a night seems to be average for the area (except the State Park), but I know that the beds in other places (including the State Park) are your standard size "double".

Ok, now that I've told you the bad part, let me tell you the best part. When we checked in, the cabin light was on, and the fireplace was ready with wood and kindling, all we had to do was light the fire. The fire ring was well stocked with wood, and plenty more on the porch. The cabin was clean and we loved the rustic setting. When we checked in, I thought we would treat ourselves to a nice bottle of wine, so I asked for the wine list...I was handed a book- I was not expecting such an extensive wine selection, I was impressed. I selected Ste Michelle Reisling (an awsome selection), and the bar tender/waitress went to get me wine glasses and wine bucket too. I was expecting to just take the bottle back to the cabin and drink it out of the glasses we brought. By the way, the website says no alcoholic beverages allowed unless purchased at the Lodge, but the Inn Keeper advised that does not apply to the cabins.

I have read other reviews here about the staff and how friendly they are, and I have to agree, they were awsome. We will go back again, but next time we will ask for a cabin with a bigger bed, or stay in one of the suites.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank ohhikingirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooksburg
21.7 km away
Hampton Inn Clarion
#2 of 9 in Clarion
22.5 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Clarion

Been to Gateway Lodge? Share your experiences!