All reviews fly fishing skeet shooting big house dorn family outdoor activities the main house horseback riding fire pit trout took advantage dining experience trap shooting overlook cabin rustic elegance course dinner jeep tour first rate
Reviewed 7 September 2005

Pay close attention to the fact that Glendorn is the epitome of RUSTIC luxury. The dinner food and service are amazing, but the bathrooms (all of them--cabins and room) scream of the 1970s-- at the very most recent. Breakfast was rather ordinary and lunch varied from fantastic to mediocre. Back to the bathrooms: they're small, cheesy and, quite simply, WAY out of date. Not a relaxing place to spend time after a long hike or bike ride. Activities abound here (especially if you like to fish and shoot), but a few days at Glendorn is plenty. The Saturday dinner did take about 4 hours (and was not much more extravagant than the other dinners, which lasted about 2 hours). Since the family still owns part of the property, I doubt changes and updates will happen anytime soon. Beware-- your cell phone won't work here, so you're forced to relax! We tend to spend $600 - $800+ per night when on vacation, but for what it is, Glendorn’s price is steep. We'd visit again, but probably only for a few days. If you have a choice, look at Blackberry Farm in Tennessee or The Greenbrier—both are accessible from Pittsburgh.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank Excursion14818
Reviewed 8 August 2005

My husband and I spent two nights at the Glendorn. Although it was record-breaking heat for this area (low to mid-90s), the humidity was low so we were able to take advantage of the outdoor activities. We canoed around little Bondieu Lake, took introductory skeet lessons, walked and spent time by the pool. The pool area is fabulous, a beautiful old-style tiled pool that feels like it is out of the Jay Gatsby era. Comfortable chaises, big fluffy towels and lovely music playing in the background. We stayed in the Miller Cabin, which has a screened-in porch where you can hear the sounds of Fuller Brook. Good linens and a very comfortable bed. Quiet, peaceful and relaxing.

Other reviewers have raved about the food, so perhaps our one complaint - regarding dinner - is out of the norm for Glendorn. The first night we were there, they were hosting an affair for about 30 local business people. Whether it was that, or a different chef, I'm not sure but it took us nearly four hours to be served our dinner. We were seated at 7:30 and received our first course at about 8:15. There was at least a twenty minute wait between courses. We actually gave up on dessert at about 11 p.m. There was another couple who had been to Glendorn several times before, and they said this had never happened to them before. The second night was better but still about 2 1/2 hours. Bear in mind that that this is not a full six-course dinner but more a "tasting" menu. The first night's menu was: one oyster on the half shell; about a half-dozen haricot verts; a small piece of rockfish (about the size of an ice cube); one small chicken leg; and a piece of sliced beef.

The second night's dinner consisted of: a piece of seared tuna about the size of an ice cube; a small piece of a carrot preparation similar in taste and texture to carrot cake; a small piece, again about the size of an ice cube, of fish; two small medallions of rabbit meat; and two small lamb chops. My husband and I are are NOT fussy eaters who like to complain. However, having had a couple of bad experiences with lamb and game, I asked if there could be something else substituted, even the chicken salad from lunch. Our server said she would have to ask the chef, and when she returned she said he insisted that I try the rabbit but would substitute chicken for the lamb. It was clear that the chef wasn't happy with my request and I felt like something of a "jerk" for asking.

The only other small food "complaint" I had was that, on the first morning, my husband and I both ordered omelets with whole wheat toast. The omelets were wonderful, but they only brought out one piece of toast - for both of us! The next morning, we specifically requested two slices each, and they brought out one each. Small things, but for what you are paying.....

Other than the dinners, the food was good and they packed us a delicious boxed lunch for our ride home. I would definitely return to Glendorn, probably in the winter, to enjoy the fireplaces, ambience and outdoor activities.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank NewtoOregon
Reviewed 17 July 2005

We have stayed at many Relais & Chateaux properties and had a wonderful time at the Glendorn. The property is beautiful and the cabins, while in need of some modernizing, are charming and unique. The food is outstanding and the staff goes out of its way to meet your needs. Definitely not a good place to visit if you're looking to stay in touch with civilization (i.e. television, cell phone signals, internet access), but an absolutely wonderful place to go if you're looking to getaway and enjoy a peaceful, lovely and truly unique destination.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank Getaway15483
Reviewed 17 November 2004

Glendorn is absolutely gorgeous, especially around the holidays! They have afternoon tea and evening dinners that are open to the public for one weekend. The decorations are breathtaking, and so is the music. Don't miss Jo Davidson performing solo piano in December!
It is a magical place.

2  Thank Journey31221
Reviewed 2 September 2003

The Glendorn will forever hold a special place in my heart for it was where my fiance proposed to me this summer. The fairytale cottage in the woods with an outdoor fireplace was the perfect setting. The grounds of the resort are absolutely beautiful with a variety of outdoor activities-too many to choose from. We enjoyed our romantic candlelit dinners in the main lodge and other meals on the outdoor terrace with fresh mountain air. The staff could not have been anymore helpful or accomodating-they worked with my fiance to make sure I had the most romantic and special engagement. Truly unbelievable, I would recommend the Glendorn to anyone. We said we will return for our anniversary!

2  Thank Seaside13025