All reviewsfly fishingskeet shootingbig housedorn familyoutdoor activitiesthe main househorseback ridingfire pittroutdining experiencetook advantagetrap shootingoverlook cabinrustic elegancecourse dinnerjeep tourfirst rate
Reviewed 10 November 2011

There is no way to adequately describe Glendorn---it is a 5 star hotel, a hunting lodge, a family retreat, a place where magic happens (like having a fire set in the firepit before you return from dinner complete with a layout of smores and the sticks!). We spent time shooting with a terrific instructor, walking the 1000s of acres of property and lounging in our "cabin" that included heated floors and high thread count sheets, as well as enjoying great meals and an accomodating chef (thanks, I am vegan!) whose team made a vegan birthday cake! Two really wild things: Because it is such a big property, I felt like we were the only guests including at meal times; Because it is a welcoming place, we were able to use high quality fly fishing rods, guns, bikes, etc without being charged or signing stuff out---literally you get to use what you need at your own discretion. One final gush---the staff prepared a basket for our English Bulldog complete with treats and her own mud towels. My only complaint is that it is TOO FAR AWAY for regular trip from Cincinnati!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ann L
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I hosted a weekend at Glendorn with twelve of my girlfriends and we had a fabulous time!!
The accomodations were cozy and lovely, the food was awesome and the staff was so friendly and nothing was too much! For all that we did, we were not nickeled and dimed and I felt the place was incredibly reasonable! I plan on returning and I can't wait to get back for a little piece of paradise!!

Room Tip: We were guests in Richard's cabin!! 8 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms, a lovely family room and kitchen! Not to mention the bonfire pit outside!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie G
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Property was very pretty and relaxing, that was until I received my bill on checkout. Be warned, they will charge you for EVERY little thing you do while there. My wife and I have taken longer trips to the caribean and spent less money then what we did at Glendorn in a weekend getaway. I would have rated this place a four out of five before receiving the bill, but after comparing quality of stay with price, it brought my experience way down. Save your money and go somewhere where the quality matches the price.

Also one last thing that really dissapointed me was that I have stayed in very pricey larger scale properties and the staff (even ones that I hadnt even met yet) knew me by name. I didnt get called by my name once during my stay at this small property, For spending a few thousand dollars over the course of a short stay, I at least thought they would make me feel at home.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BobLuvs2Travel1975
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I had stayed at Glendorn twice before with my husband for romantic weekends. This time I stayed with our family and each visit was equally enjoyable. There is so much to do. It was like having our own family compound like back in the day. We all stayed together in one of the separate houses. It is a nice opportunity to be with family and not be distracted by the day to day routines . There are lots of opportunities for various ages to do things together. Different family members tried the shooting, fishing, horseback riding, swimming and hiking. Tanya leads the equestrian center and she was terrific with everyone in the group.
Every person who worked there was friendly, accommodating and professional. There is new ownership and Glendorn is being made even better with each stay. This is a one of a kind place and somewhere that is a memory waiting to be made.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank summittraveler
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We finally had a chance to make it back to the Glen Dorn - our 3rd trip but 1st under the new ownership of Cliff Forrest! WOW were we impressed once again! We usually stay at the Miller Cabin (still our ultimate favorite) but had the opportunity to stay at the Hideout this time. AWESOME remote, private and perfectly romantic way to celebrate a weekend! We had dinner this time in our cabin - something we've wanted to do in the past but was cost prohibitive under the previous ownership. We were allowed to dine in our cabin at no extra charge - by candlelight and very romantic. Don't get me wrong, cocktails and dinner in the Big House are great and we've enjoyed it each time - meeting and dining with other visitors! It was a short weekend and much needed time away. Many nice subtle changes were noticed one being Mountain Casual dress for dining versus Dinner Dress Attire. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy dressing to the nines for dinner but the atmosphere and weather sometimes wasn't conducive to walking in mud and muck in high heals and dress shoes! The more casual dress was perfect for the relaxed weekend we were there to enjoy! The staff was AWESOME and so glad to see Natalia was still there! We were impressed that she remembered us from our previous visits and that we've stayed normally at the Miller cabin. Now I know our history of information is probably stored for all of them to have at their fingertips but quite frankly, I was impressed that she and the others on staff took the time to familiarize themselves with that information . The personal touch is so unique! Not once did any staff member have to ask who we were - yet they acknowledged us by name each time! I can't wait until we can get back there again! One regular welcoming I do miss... the chocolate chip cookies in the cookie jar in the cabin! Bring them back please! :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple