OK, my stay here was a bit mixed.
First, the good: Great location for visiting both the Gorge and Portland, with easy access to I-84. Gas stations and restaurants in close proximity. Lobby is nice, clean and bright. Helpful front desk staff on check-in and with questions about visiting sights in the greater Portland area. Furniture and fixtures were OK, as was the nice, contemporary decor. Bed was comfortable, with crisp clean sheets. Room was quiet, with no highway or street noise. Also located next to Troutdale municipal airport, but aircraft noise was not a problem as most flights are during the day.
The bad: When I first entered the room, the air conditioning was on and set to a bone-chilling 60F. I had to turn on the heat to get both the room and myself warmed up again. There was no need for the A/C to be turned on this low in mid-September. I found it not only uncomfortable, but also very wasteful in terms of energy use. Next, the drain in the shower did not seem to be working well. By the end of my shower, I was standing in nearly 2 inches of water. Not good.
The ugly: the fit and finish in the room was not very good. There were numerous poorly done
repairs of the wall paper (see photos), as well as peeling wallpaper in other areas of the room (see photos). I guess I expected a little bit more quality from a Comfort Inn.
Overall view: good location and comfortable room with some blemishes. Room temperature to me was a major fault. I was in room 308.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway! Our hotel is located 10 miles east of Portland International Airport at the gateway to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic area featuring majestic Multnomah Falls. Activities and wonders abound in this land of rugged cliffs, sweeping vistas and cascading waterfalls. Start your morning out right with our complimentary hot breakfast including meat and eggs, biscuits and gravy, fresh waffles, plus a great selection of breads, cereals, muffins, yogurt, juice, and fruit. Spend your day hiking the Gorge, enjoying great food and shopping in Troutdale and on the river, or just relax and enjoy the day with a stroll by the Sandy River. Spend your evening wine tasting at McMenamin's Edgefield, featuring three restaurants with an onsite distillery, winery and a brewery. All of our guest rooms include a microwave, refrigerator, coffee-maker, and iron and board. We are a pet friendly facility and will be happy to give you directions to the best places to take the pup for a romp. Our pet friendly rooms are maintained to the same high standards as our pet free rooms. To keep you connected we offer free wireless high-speed Internet access and a business center in the lobby. Looking forward to having you in the house soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Portland - East Hotel Troutdale
- Holiday Inn Express Troutdale
- Holiday Inn Troutdale
- Troutdale Holiday Inn