“The good, bad and ugly”

Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Troutdale
Reviewed 21 September 2012

OK, my stay here was a bit mixed.

First, the good: Great location for visiting both the Gorge and Portland, with easy access to I-84. Gas stations and restaurants in close proximity. Lobby is nice, clean and bright. Helpful front desk staff on check-in and with questions about visiting sights in the greater Portland area. Furniture and fixtures were OK, as was the nice, contemporary decor. Bed was comfortable, with crisp clean sheets. Room was quiet, with no highway or street noise. Also located next to Troutdale municipal airport, but aircraft noise was not a problem as most flights are during the day.

The bad: When I first entered the room, the air conditioning was on and set to a bone-chilling 60F. I had to turn on the heat to get both the room and myself warmed up again. There was no need for the A/C to be turned on this low in mid-September. I found it not only uncomfortable, but also very wasteful in terms of energy use. Next, the drain in the shower did not seem to be working well. By the end of my shower, I was standing in nearly 2 inches of water. Not good.

The ugly: the fit and finish in the room was not very good. There were numerous poorly done
repairs of the wall paper (see photos), as well as peeling wallpaper in other areas of the room (see photos). I guess I expected a little bit more quality from a Comfort Inn.

Overall view: good location and comfortable room with some blemishes. Room temperature to me was a major fault. I was in room 308.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

First, I am so sorry the room was chilly when you arrived! - we have had a beautiful September and housekeeping has instructions to leave the a/c on in arrival rooms as the sun hitting the windows heats the rooms up uncomfortably. A setting of 60 takes that instruction a bit far :) - I have already communicated the correction to staff and we will continue to work to keep the rooms at a neutral welcoming temperature all seasons.

I have created a work order on the drain, and we know we have a few rooms that need walls redone - have been waiting for off-season (there is going to be an off-season this year, isn't there?) to do work that takes rooms out of service.

Thank you for giving us the good also - glad we were able to help you out on your travels here. Please contact me and we'll get you set up with a complimentary return night in a properly temperatured room :).

All the best to you,

Reviewed 17 September 2012

After a long day on a motorcycle touring the Columbia River Gorge area, this hotel was a welcoming break for the night. The room was clean and spacious and had a wonderful comfy bed to retire in. No problems with the free wifi offered.
The hotel is located next to a small airport which raised an eyebrow, but our room was facing the opposite direction and noise was not an issue.
No restaurants nearby to walk to unless you crossed over the busy highway. However,breakfast was included in the price which was wonderful. It was our first stay at a Comfort Inn and we were impressed enough to try another!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

:) Comfort be us... most glad that you enjoyed your stay - the new king pillowtop beds rock, don't they?

We're missing having the restaurant next to us open (Wendy's closed in May), but an electrician came and got keys yesterday so that PGE can get the meter turned back on, so we're optimistic that someone is opening it back up in the near future. We worked closely with the city last year to get them put safe crossings under the freeway and that has helped the foot traffic (guest and staff getting to work) getting over to shopping and restaurants a lot, but it will be great to have options on our side again.

Appreciate you taking the time to write!

All the best,

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Great place to stop after touring the Columbia River Gorge area, especially if the family dog is along for the trip. There was plenty of space to walk our dog and the location across from the airport was a hit with my husband, who found the small planes coming and going very entertaining. The staff was extremely helpful and very knowledgeable about the area. Troutdale is a little tricky to maneuver around, but they had lists and maps handy to help us find restaurants. The room was comfortable and clean, the internet worked just fine and there was a good variety of breakfast items. Overall highly recommended; will definitely stay again when we're in the greater Portland area, with or without our pup.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

:) I'm in the like-to-watch-the-planes camp, too. Did we get you over to Thousand Acres (just across the Sandy River) with the pup? If you missed that, it's hands-down the best place on the planet to let a dog be a dog - you can walk for hours without covering the same ground, swim in the river, sniff lots of new... dogs..., and most of the landscape is posted off-leash.

Very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and in Troutdale. We've got a good bunch of people here, so I appreciate the kudos to them very much, thank you.

All the best,

Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed a couple nights on "staycation." We wanted to stay somewhere near lots of natural beauty (Multnomah Falls, Sandy River, hiking) but not too far from restaurants, and friendly local shops in downtown Troutdale. And it's across the street from the Troutdale airport, which is great if you like watching small planes.

In spite of its' close proximity to the freeway and small airport, it was surprisingly quiet.

I was impressed with the room. It felt modern and clean. Plus, there's a small fridge and a microwave. And they serve a full, free breakfast each morning.

When we arrived at our room after dinner, we heard a dog barking in the room next to us. We notified the front desk and they promptly moved us to a room far from the dog and took $20 off our bill. We were impressed.

It was nice to have a flatscreen with cable/HBO. We took advantage of thier workout room, too.

Overall, a great experience for us. No downside... Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012

Natural beauty doesn't get a whole lot better than the Columbia Gorge and (my personal favorite) the Sandy River, does it?

So glad you enjoyed your time with us and that we got you taken of appropriately... we'll see you the next time you decide to get away close :).

Best to you,

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We were towing a boat and the staff was great with their suggestion of where and how to park it so they would be able to see it from the front desk. Staff was friendly and helpful.

The hotel was full with a large group of high school swimmers for a meet. Doors slammed and loud conversations in the hallway went on all evening. (not hotel's fault, just a very noisey and loud group.

Woke in the morning and had problems with our toilet (they fixed it very quickly and we had no more problems)

I planned to come back after breakfast to nap a bit before checking out. But, someone knocked 3 different times (with the "do not disturb out") and when I finally got out of bed to answer it , it was the maid asking if she could clean my room!! I said I planned leaving at 12:30 (check out is 1pm). The maid seemed disappointed she couldn't clean right away. I could not get back to sleep so I packed up and to the front desk.

The staff checked and realized it was a new maid and verified she should never have done that. They apologized and sent someone right away to talk to her. They also gave me a credit for everything that happed during our stay.

I would stay here again, because it was a nice clean hotel, and the staff was great. They took each one of my complaints/requests seriously and responded to all with speed.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mjtruett
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Well, if we can take three hits and still get you back, we must be doing something right :).

Seriously, thank you for taking the time to write this - once in awhile things don't go perfectly, and while that can't always be avoided, we always do our best to make sure you leave smiling and knowing that it's important to us that you had a good stay.

Enjoy the rest of summer, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Loree

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
2.6 km away
6.8 km away
Hampton Inn Portland East
Hampton Inn Portland East
#22 of 144 in Portland

Been to Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway? Share your experiences!