4 people are viewing this hotel
eDreamsUS$274
Agoda.comUS$274
TripadvisorUS$162
1,439 results
All reviews blue ox mount hood the main dining room historic hotel the ram's head bar hot chocolate breakfast buffet worth the trip gift shop the pacific crest trail great depression huge fireplace common areas year round parking lot fireplace room pool and hot tub
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

My family and I ate at the Cascade Dining room 1 night and the Ram’s head the next night. The Cascade dining room is the fine dining restaurant. I must say it was underwhelming. My son and I split the $40.00 steak. It was tough and very average. My wife had the scallops which were pretty good. My 10 year old had a kid’s meal for $18.00. It was probably the best value.

The Ram’s Head was just plain terrible.
My 17 year old and I both ordered the short ribs while my wife had venison. I truly believe that the short ribs were in fact nothing but some cheap cut of chuck roast. The meat had been cut off the bone, so it was really impossible to tell what it was. The meal was so bad that I complained to the manager, who to his credit, did not charge us for our dinner.
My 10 year old had a jelly sandwich. The kids meal selections were miserable.
We had enjoyed a very good loaf of sourdough at the Cascade dining room the night before, so I asked the waiter if the bread on the Ram’s menu was the same.
He said it was. We got 4 stale pieces of bread instead of a loaf.

This wonderful old lodge really needs to step up the dining options.
I was extremely disappointed.

Actually the best meal we had was lunch at the Blue Ox. The Caesar salad was very good as was the pizza.

I noticed a lot of people having pizza outside instead of dining in the over priced
Marginal full service restaurants.

My advice is to take your own food or eat at the Blue Ox, but it closes at 8:00PM.

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Choad
Emily S, Guest Relations Manager at Timberline Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2018

Hi David, thank you for taking the time to review the restaurants at Timberline Lodge. We appreciate your valuable feedback. Our Executive Chef and Sous Chef have been made aware of your disappointing meals so that they can address these issues with the kitchen staff of the Cascade Dining Room and Ram’s Head. Our restaurant menus aim to reflect the bounty of incredible food that is grown in the Pacific Northwest and change with the seasons. We apologize that you didn’t get to enjoy some of our menu items at their best…we are as disappointed as you are that you didn’t have the ideal Timberline Lodge experience. Thank you again for your honest review. We hope you’ll give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves. At Timberline Lodge we are proud to be your host!

Reviewed 28 July 2018

Stayed 2 nights as the culmination of our SF/Oregon family vacation. Quick check-in, nice mountain view room, great to be able to have many options all in the lodge. We were there for their heat wave and had 87 deg at the lodge-tough to sleep at night (with no AC) but the hikes wore us out. There are few nights you might need AC-we were there for 1 of them!

Only complaint was the 'heated-pool'. They turned off the heat for the heat wave yet the pool was too cold for most to go in-stay and enjoy. We were told it was 78, all agreed that it was closer to 70-my pool at home is 80 so it was too cold to use- very disappointing.

Room tip: If able-get the mountain view.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank All4vacations
Reviewed 26 July 2018

We were in a small room on the same floor as the dining room. Bathroom was small/. No AC - but it isn't normally needed. After all, there is snow skiing year-round just up the mountain. Food was better than average. The best part of this place is its history - especially if you admire the "New Deal" of Franklin Roosevelt. There is a ranger stationed right in the hotel, who reminds you that you own the place (because the government has title to it). He won't tell you about how it was run down and needed a major overhaul in 1954, in spite of the fact that it was closed during WW2. He won't tell you about how private companies, individuals, and non-profits, help run the place. It seemed as if his ideal would be for the government to own everything - then you would "own" everything. I think that's been tried many times before and has always failed big time. (The ranger's apology for our president and his comment about FDR being a "real" president were appreciated by some, I suppose.)
The 3 out of 5 rating I gave this place was for its unique history, which is fascinating. (I didn't deduct or add anything for the ranger's political opinions.) Taking the ranger tour is worthwhile (in spite of the ranger's short-comings) if only to learn about how this place was constructed and by whom. The rooms are "authentic," making you feel like it was 80 years ago. Without this history and authenticity, at the price charged here I might have gone to a 2 out of 5 rating. That's not to say the people were in any way deficient - all were friendly, if at times not the most attentive.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Ok, my bad. The lift is only open 10 am to 2 pm. Come on people it’s summertime. The lodge is gorgeous and the views are spectacular. But also the Day lodge cafe closes at 3 pm? I guess we shouldn’t have stopped in Gov. Camp.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2018

Arrived on a Sunday afternoon to see large crowds and almost no parking. We were given a VERY small room which was very hot. We were very near the pool area, but could not use! A very large, loud PRIVATE party at pool was going on--complete with large tent, food and drinks, and a pa system playing LOUD music. Loud shouting for hours. Construction was going on in the room next to us. The old building is interesting to see and the view is very nice. Take time to visit, maybe early morning, but stay in Government Camp very near. Wish the lodge was a national park, then people would not use areas for private parties. Very historical.

7  Thank Mayvin
Scott S, Manager at Timberline Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how disappointing your stay was. I know the exact day you are referring too. I am terribly sorry this is your perception of Timberline. We have groups that like to stay at the lodge from time to time and their activities can seem like the focus of our attention and take away from other guest's experiences. We will review this situation and make adjustments to ensure all guests who visit here know we care and want to help them to create lifelong memories. We would be honored if you would give us another chance to prove this. Thank you again for taking the time to help us become better. I do apologize for the experience you had. This is far from the norm.