5 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$290
Timberline LodgeUS$291
eDreamsUS$290
Agoda.comUS$290
TripadvisorUS$290
1,440 results
All reviews blue ox mount hood the main dining room historic hotel the ram's head bar hot chocolate breakfast buffet worth the trip gift shop the pacific crest trail great depression huge fireplace common areas year round parking lot fireplace room pool and hot tub
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 July 2018

We were in a small room on the same floor as the dining room. Bathroom was small/. No AC - but it isn't normally needed. After all, there is snow skiing year-round just up the mountain. Food was better than average. The best part of this place is its history - especially if you admire the "New Deal" of Franklin Roosevelt. There is a ranger stationed right in the hotel, who reminds you that you own the place (because the government has title to it). He won't tell you about how it was run down and needed a major overhaul in 1954, in spite of the fact that it was closed during WW2. He won't tell you about how private companies, individuals, and non-profits, help run the place. It seemed as if his ideal would be for the government to own everything - then you would "own" everything. I think that's been tried many times before and has always failed big time. (The ranger's apology for our president and his comment about FDR being a "real" president were appreciated by some, I suppose.)
The 3 out of 5 rating I gave this place was for its unique history, which is fascinating. (I didn't deduct or add anything for the ranger's political opinions.) Taking the ranger tour is worthwhile (in spite of the ranger's short-comings) if only to learn about how this place was constructed and by whom. The rooms are "authentic," making you feel like it was 80 years ago. Without this history and authenticity, at the price charged here I might have gone to a 2 out of 5 rating. That's not to say the people were in any way deficient - all were friendly, if at times not the most attentive.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Ok, my bad. The lift is only open 10 am to 2 pm. Come on people it’s summertime. The lodge is gorgeous and the views are spectacular. But also the Day lodge cafe closes at 3 pm? I guess we shouldn’t have stopped in Gov. Camp.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2018

Arrived on a Sunday afternoon to see large crowds and almost no parking. We were given a VERY small room which was very hot. We were very near the pool area, but could not use! A very large, loud PRIVATE party at pool was going on--complete with large tent, food and drinks, and a pa system playing LOUD music. Loud shouting for hours. Construction was going on in the room next to us. The old building is interesting to see and the view is very nice. Take time to visit, maybe early morning, but stay in Government Camp very near. Wish the lodge was a national park, then people would not use areas for private parties. Very historical.

7  Thank Mayvin
Scott S, Manager at Timberline Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how disappointing your stay was. I know the exact day you are referring too. I am terribly sorry this is your perception of Timberline. We have groups that like to stay at the lodge from time to time and their activities can seem like the focus of our attention and take away from other guest's experiences. We will review this situation and make adjustments to ensure all guests who visit here know we care and want to help them to create lifelong memories. We would be honored if you would give us another chance to prove this. Thank you again for taking the time to help us become better. I do apologize for the experience you had. This is far from the norm.

Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

We read all these great reviews about Timberline Lodge and decided to stay while we were in the area. While the hotel has charm, character, and history, that’s really all your paying for. There is no AC, take note of that! I didn’t see that anywhere and it would have swayed our decision. My whole family was very uncomfortable. They give you a fan and tell you to open the window but the window wouldn’t stay up, we propped it open but that seemed to do no good and everyone in the parking lot and balcony could see in our room. The rooms also do not have refrigerators or coffee/tea makers. The food is extremely overpriced. I do not mind paying for good food but the quality here did not meet the prices. We paid $50 for 3 burgers, fries, and drinks that were just frozen patties, cafeteria grade food, at the Wy’east cafe. The staff there was very unfriendly and the guy making the orders was throwing plates on the counter. Everyone in line was commenting on it. We also paid $100 for a pretzel and small cup of fondue, 4 drinks, and 2 pieces of cheese cake at the Rams Head but the staff there were extremely nice. The breakfast buffet was good but no different than you would get at any Hampton Inn or similar, so not really worth the $68 I paid for 3 people. All in all, not at all worth $300 a night. Even though I paid for 3 nights, we left a day early because, after hiking all day, everyone was uncomfortable coming back to a hot room. I have traveled across Western Europe and all over the US, this is the first bad review I have ever left.

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank hilass
Reviewed 23 July 2018

The setting for this lodge is stunning with Mt. Hood behind it and panoramic views of Oregon's mountain ranges to the south. Only 1.5 hours drive from Portland we planned our trip to have lunch at the lodge. The lunch brunch (on a Monday) was generous and delicious. The history of the lodge and the craftsmanship displayed in the hand-hewn beams, iron work, hand woven upholsteries creates the ambiance of times past.

Our trip was in July and there was still skiing as well as a summer snowboarding school. There are gentle paths at the back of the lodge that can be taken up to the base without having to be hikers or climbers. Even if you only have a few hours it's worth the drive.

1  Thank newyearsbabySt_Louis