“Nice little gem”

Bryn Mawr Vineyards
Ranked #34 of 85 things to do in Salem
Reviewed 22 February 2017 via mobile

Rite up the hill from Bethal, this is a find we were happy with.
Friendly, warm and informative service that feels very personalized. You don't get to pick the flight here either but, it was informative, a hair above average is price ($10 a flight of 6) and for a small family business....offers a LOT of warmth. You get cheeses to mesh the wine with wile you taste and even suggestions on what to pair it with along with crackers to cleans the pallet. The wine descriptions were very spot on both verbal or written description.
The inside and out was original and warm and offered a good experience.
Note: the wine tastings at the back side of the house, not the front.

Reviewed 28 July 2015

Came here on the recommendation of Kevin from Vine2wine tours. Enjoyed the view and we did our tastings outside. Jon the proprietor made us feel welcome and brought us every tasting outside, including extra ones (the ones named after his children) plus fruit and cheese to taste with the wines. He gave us a brief history of the vineyard and we also met the winemaker Rachel. We ended up buying six bottles plus joining the wine club based on how good the wines were and the hospitality we received. Much better than the vineyard 1/2 mile down the road.

Reviewed 19 July 2015

Our driver knew of this winery, and we visited based on his recommendation. Thank you, Danny! This was a beautiful and friendly place. One son was pouring the wines, so we got to hear about the family and how they came to own the winery. We got to hear about the things they tried and how they had found a great winemaker (whose husband also works there). And then we got to taste the wines. Pretty much everyplace we went had a rose and some pinot noirs. Many had chardonnay. This place branched off and poured all of those, plus a Tempranillo. I'm a big fan of Spanish wines, and wouldn't put this one in the same category as those hot-climate wines, but it was soft and flavorful and a great chance to try something new. I hope they keep making it.
All in all, a wonderful time and some good wines.

Reviewed 21 October 2014

Owner did the tastings and shared information about the winery. Loved the wines. Up in the hills with pretty views nearby.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The atmosphere and view at this winery were virtually unbeatable. Inside the tasting room is cozy yet spacious. Outside one has an incredible view of mountain ranges and vineyards into the distance as far as the eye can see.
The wines we tasted, after paying a significant tasting fee, were quite good. Stylistically they reminded me of wines made by Italian or French wineries. More specifically, the fruitiness seems to be downplayed, while other characteristics of the grape were more clearly evident. Very enjoyable.
The hospitality was initially extremely convivial. My thought was that this had to be one of the friendliest wineries I had every visited. Ultimately I came to the realization that the friendliness was due to the fee that each taster paid (there were over 10 persons in our party). My recollection is that we each paid $10 to taste the 4 or 5 wines presented. Our understanding was that the fee would be waived if a certain minimum number of bottles was purchased during the visit. We gladly bought 4 bottles of wine (at $30 per bottle), 2 for my spouse and 2 for me. We thought this would allow one of our fees to be waived. Unfortunately, we revealed to the server that we were each buying two bottles of wine. Hence, no discount. If either one of us had paid for the 4 bottles we could have saved the tasting fee. Call me a dummy, if you will. Call me cheap, if you will. But, you might also form a similar negative opinion about how this winery does business. The characteristics of the wine that resembled those of the foreign countries previously mentioned didn't ultimately translate to the grace with which this winery treats its visitors. Would I drink their wines again? Certainly, though these wines might not have quite the memorably pleasant flavor had the staff been a bit more gracious on our visit to the cash register.

Been to Bryn Mawr Vineyards? Share your experiences!