See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 April 2018

I would definitely recommend this hotel. I have used it three times now, twice for multiple days.Clean, comfortable rooms, great value for money, great customer service. Location was just perfect!!!!!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Motel6Salem, Hotel Manager at Motel 6 Salem Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear you say "loved staying here". You are welcome again.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

The remodel looks great. I love the retro feel with new finishes. The motel is under amazing management that really cares. Great prices too! And to top it off Salem Expo Center is right, just a short jaunt down Lana Rd and you're at the State Fairgrounds.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
M68709BO, General Manager at Motel 6 Salem Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for your comments, and are happy to hear you loved our remodel. We pride ourselves on giving the best costumer service we can. The team was excited to hear that we meet this goal with you. Again we thank you for your comments, and hope to see you again in your future travels, and thank you for choosing Motel 6 Salem Expo Center

Thanks,
Motel 6 Team and Manager Frank.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Room was ok, floor was dirty my 1 year old son found a toe nail on the floor that was not ours and that was gross. The staff was friendly. The price was decent, I figured they would have had an outdoor pool or something, but they don't. There is free wifi unlike some Motel 6's we've stayed at before

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 9 September 2017

We thank you for your comments. We are happy to here you enjoyed our friendly staff and WIFI. We will be working hard to correct the issues listed. Again thank you for your comments and thank you for choosing Motel 6 and hope to see you again on a future stay.

Motel 6 Management Team

Reviewed 29 August 2017

This is the same review I posted at Yelp, but feel it is important to share here as well. I did leave out that the windows didn't lock and it wasn't a great neighborhood. Here is my review:

This may be the only hotel/motel review you will ever read where the train 6 feet from the window is the least of my problems. Ladies and gentlemen, grab your comfy slippers and a beverage and prepare for a read!

I am one of those rare unicorns that chooses to use Yelp for positive reviews. No one wants to read the bad stuff, right? But some experiences are just so bad, it would be negligent to not share. This hotel is rated: zero.

At the end of this review, character count permitting, I will post the exact letter I wrote to the Motel 6 in question, G6 Hospitality LLC (Motel 6 brand owner), Blackstone (the investor group that owns that), and last but not least, the Marion County Environmental Health Department.

Before sharing that, here are the remarks more specific to a person looking to rent a room for any amount of time. We’ll start with the train. As I said, it being only a few feet from the bathroom window, I heard it during the night but it wasn’t that loud. The picture, while dark, shows the distance as I didn’t use a zoom.

The first problem we had was that Expedia charged us $95.27 which we didn’t think twice about until we checked in and the desk clerk says, “Ok, so your rate for the night is $65-.” We mentioned how much we paid and they mentioned the Expedia charges whatever they want so that lesson is, maybe don’t use Expedia either?

Next, check in is at 3 pm and we were there at 3:30 and the room wasn’t ready. No big deal as our friends’ room was and we stashed out stuff there (not a nice part of town to leave belongings in the car). The room wasn’t ready until 4:15. No big deal.

When we arrived, there was a strong chemical smell from the cleaning with years of overpowering cigarette smoke behind it. And whatever they were using that cleanser on, the room was still filthy. Stepping into the room, the carpet was sticky. It wasn’t just sticky in one place. It was everywhere. Every surface of the carpet has every type of stain.

Moving on, the stains didn’t end with the carpet. The bedspread and linens were filthy and stained. We slept in sleeping bags and never went bare foot in the room. There were cigarette burns on every surface from carpet to bedding to furniture to countertops & tiles! The desk chair upholstery had stains, yes, but also had what we believe to be male ejaculate that hadn’t been cleaned up.

All of this is backed by photos that I took that night. We would have stayed anywhere else but it was the night before the eclipse and everything was booked. You would think all of this was the worst, but wait! There’s more!

We visited our friends in their room. After a few minutes sitting around socializing in a room equally disgusting, a bed bug ran across my ankle. Yes, bed bugs are real!! We lifted the mattress and they were infested. They slept in sleeping bags on the bathroom floor after being told by the front desk it was impossible to move them.
Returning to our room, we checked the beds from top to bottom. You will see the box spring cover is covered in the remains of smashed bed bugs! They killed them and continued to use the linens. Thankfully, we didn’t see any live ones, but what on earth happened on that mattress? (See photo).

I don’t think there’s room to share the letter that I sent, but it was well written and my response was that this particular location is independently owned and they can’t do anything about any of this. I responded one last time to say that while I respect that they franchise locations, it is still their brand and I would hope they would have more respect for their business than to let an owner provide such squalor as accommodations.

I suppose the wifi worked but the pool was closed on the hottest weekend of the year.

I won’t be staying at any other locations in the future as I can’t believe a business would car so little for their name that someone like this owner could use it.
In closing, the wifi probably worked and the pool was closed on an extremely hot day. Book this motel with caution and a Hazmat suit.

If TripAdvisor allows photographs, I will post them as well.

Room Tip: You put your health and family at risk by staying here.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
6Team, Brand Experience Team at Motel 6 Salem Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Dear Cat, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience, but it sounds as though we did not perform to our usual standards in this case. Please know the issues you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Room was fine, staff was helpful. Chris was nice enough to come to the room and adjust the cable tv since it was newly installed. Also it was very nice to be given an extra hour to check out. Would recommend this motel despite the outward appearance, which is unfortunate, but fine and quite comfortable for a short stay.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 14 July 2017

We thank you for you comments and are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are also happy to hear that Chris was wonderful and able to help you with your needs. Again thank you for your comment and staying with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Motel 6 Staff