“Portland in 2 days”
Review of Portland

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Boston, Massachusetts
64 helpful votes
“Portland in 2 days”
Reviewed 12 August 2007

Portland was a lot of fun and more than enough city for a whole week of exploring. We did a lot of walking and used the public transportation a bit which is outstanding. Keep in mind that when inside the “Fareless Square” there is no fee to ride the MAX. Heck, in hindsight we even considered that it might have been a good idea to take the MAX from the airport to the hotel and save a few days on our rental car and parking.

We visited the Japanese & Rose Test Gardens by taking the train to the station just below Washington Park, and then walking up to the gardens. The locals seemed to think this was a little odd (it’s a quite a steep climb) and had a hard time giving us directions, but we found our way. From the Rose Test Garden you can take a narrow gauge antique train to the zoo. We have a zoo membership in Boston so our zoo fare was free and the train was only $7 for the three of us.

The Rose Test Garden didn’t do much for me, but the Japanese Garden is outstanding. Say it with me…outstanding. It’s the real thing. Amazing craftsmanship of the buildings throughout the site and the flora is mind bending. If it’s a clear day this is one of the best shots you can get of Mt. Hood.

The zoo is definitely worth seeing. I was a big fan of the sea lions, otters and bears. Nice exhibits. Yes, my daughter liked it too. My favorite part was the subway station when you leave the park, though. It’s more than 500 ft under ground and in a tube. You can feel the train pushing air into the station long before it ever arrives and there is a core sample of earth mounted on the wall in a plexiglass tube with the chronology of mankind marked on the wall. I was really tripped out by this- did you know ketchup was around in 300 B.C.?

The Classical Chinese Garden is a must see. Have some tea in the teahouse, and then check out the rest of Old Town. You may notice a shady character here and there but for the most part I don’t think they’ll bother you.

15 Thank Earlydog
Oahu
25 helpful votes
“Had a fantastic time!!!”
Reviewed 20 October 2006

I followed this site for months, researching prior to my first visit to Portland area and found it so helpful. Just wanted to report that I thought this city was awesome!
The free or low-cost streetcars and MAX were a blast, met alot of fun people. Everyone was ready to help us if we looked lost, offered guidance. The city was so green and clean, so many parks and I've never seen such a bike-friendly environment.
I was suprised how many people took their dogs everywhere and how the stores had water bowls available!! I felt safe there, even thought it was a big city. You could go out to eat everyday and still not hit all the great restaurants. We loved Papa Haydens in Nob Hill, India House, Veritable Quandry near the waterfront and Alexi's (Greek) in Old Town.
The running path along the river was great, Forest Park was HUGE, there's a wealth of activities to take advantage of. Visited the Japanese and Rose Garden, Pittock Mansion, Chinese Garden, Sat. market crafters just enjoying the crisp fall weather with sun almost everyday we were there! (Oct 3-10).
So glad I took the whole day to explore the coast from Gephart to Lincoln City, just gorgeous. The next day I drove along the Columbia River Gorge, hiking to numerous waterfalls, exploring Mt Hood area wineries, Timberline Lodge with it's breathtaking view of a (clear) snow-dotted Mt Hood.
Thank you for your tips and I can't say enough of great things about this area of Oregon. Aloha!

11 Thank obeythepug
Seattle
14 helpful votes
“Leave your heart in San Francisco but keep your feet for Portland”
Reviewed 1 March 2005

At the top of my list of my favorite weekend getaways from Seattle is Portland.
I like stay at a downtown Portalnd hotel like the Heathman or Mallory or grab a motel along the light rail line in Beaverton or Hillsboro to the west or at Lloyd Center across the river. I prefer to use the light rail and hoof it around town. There's so much to do and see. Shopping, restaurants, historic sights. museum, theater, symphony, and arhitecture. The charm of this City of Roses is everywhere you're feet will take you ..like a visit to the Skidmore Fountain, or Pioneer Square. Downtown Portland is best explored on foot. The city fathers designed it that way. They put you in control of your destiney favoriing pedestrians over vehicles. Besides you save a lot of money on parking and gas as you leave the traffic to the motorists.

From downtown I like to wander down to the seawall promenade along the Willamette River. Nearby are some of the best northwest seafood restaurants like my favorite, Dan & Louis Oyster Bar. I also like to visit the trendy pubs, eateries and merchants of the Pearl District, and what's a trip to Portland without seeing Chinatown. On occasion I have tuned up my calves with a hike up the West Hills to Washington Park being rewarded with its International Rose Test Gardens and picture post card view of the city and Mt. Hood. One of my favorite places to kick back and people watch are the tree lined Park Blocks ...an especially nice place to catch some shade on a warm summer day.

Portland is one beautiful, charming , compact place ..."honey! I shrunk Seattle!"

6 Thank dardo
A TripAdvisor Member
“Breath Taking Beauty”
Reviewed 19 October 2004

I went to Portland with my husband for the weekend. I was no prepared to see the awesome beauty of the mountains, cities, the ocean, and the people. I never knew the actual beauty until I was actually there. It was AWESOME!!! We stayed at teh Embassy by the airport and it was astonishing. We traveled the coast and stopped at several beaches, light houses, nature gatherings, and trails. I never knew how close the mountains were to the ocean. I expected flat open land like the East coast. This was so much better and natural and peaceful. We went to the sand dunes and watched people play with their buggies, motorcycles, and four wheelers. We also went to a couple of breweries and sampled plenty of beer. YES THEY MAKE CHOCOLATE BEER!!!!! I would go back in a heartbeat. You will be amazed of the beautiful creations of Mother Nature. Next trip will be longer to enjoy what we missed

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Visit was too short!”
Reviewed 6 May 2004

Don't bring an unbrella - you'll be the object of local jokesters - just slog through the showers like Oregonians do. We visited Mt. Hood for snowy fun, and the Saturday Street Market all in one day. One week just isn't enough time to see and do everything! We got a cheap hotel (our fault) because we weren't planning to spend much time there. Expedia did an excellent job keeping us posted about flight changes between booking and take-off. All flights went well except last leg home, but that was Delta's fault. We're already planning a return trip.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Portland? Share your experiences!