“Hidden gem in Sellwood”
Review of Wei Wei

Wei Wei
Ranked #998 of 4,867 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 14 November 2017

Stopped in at Wei Wei for the first time today. We'll definitely return! Fresh, delicious, affordable, made-from-scratch Taiwanese cooking. Everything we tried was excellent and beautifully presented: Braised Beef Bao, Chicken Rice Plate, Vegetable Noodle Soup (with homemade noodles), Iron Goddess tea, and ganache-filled chocolate chip cookies. Wei Wei is tucked into a small strip mall on 13th Avenue, but walk through the doors and you enter another world. Dine in or take out.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 9 August 2017

After three visits for lunch, I give this place 3 stars. This is a good, local place for lunch. They have a very good tea list, a variety of small plates, and some more substantial servings of main courses. In my experience, the bows are quite good, if a bit over priced. I also like the noodle dishes. Unfortunately, the grilled squid tends to be tough. I found the service to good.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

This place is FABULOUS! My friend and I were going to meet at Jade tea bar in SE Portland for some Pho @ lunch hour, and we didn't feel like waiting in line & prefer to sit and order our food. I happened to notice the spot and oh am I glad that I did! Our world is short of fabulous soup spots other than Thai, Vietnamese and now Taiwan... the beef noodle soup was OFF THE CHARTS delicious!
And you can have rice noodles instead of wheat noodles which is my gluten-free preference. My friend had a chicken thing & we got the wild yam, water chestnut, red pepper pea pod & do you sautéed mustard greens… Both were delicious! It's a really nice clean place, Judy is the owner and she was adorable. I will be back and I will be back very soon!

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 20 February 2017

Beef noodle soup is such a big deal in Taiwan that its capital city, Taipei, hosts an annual festival devoted to the slurp-happy goodness.

Awards are given for the best spicy version and the best clear soup.

The beef noodle soup served at Wei Wei -- pronounced Way Way -- isn't that spicy version; still, they pack a lot of flavor into the stainless steel bowls of soup served at this small Sellwood eatery.

The soup created by owner Judy Wang will never win the flaming hot award, but, thankfully, there's a condiment table with hot pepper flakes steeped in oil. And with bottles of sriracha lined up on the same table, you can make yours as hot as you like.

I've eaten a lot of Asian soups, from the medicinal Cantonese chicken soup made from a black-skinned chicken to Thai tom yum goong to Vietnamese pho, bun bo Hue and mi quang. Taiwanese beef noodle soup is so unlike all of them but excellent in its own right.

The soup has big chunks of braised beef, significantly larger than the chunks you'd find in stew. Thick wheat noodles -- made in-house -- mingle with pickled mustard greens and a seasonal vegetable, spinach was being used the day I visited, in the flavorful broth.

The restaurant is located in a strip mall, wedged between a nail salon and a convenience store. If you have to wait for a seat, get your nails done and then come back when it clears out a little.

The recipes are based on home cooking and street food found when Wang's family lived in Taiwan in the 1970s and '80s. Her parents help out in the kitchen, ensuring the recipes maintain their authentic feel.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

Everything is good. You can't go wrong. Grilled squid is a favorite. The pork Bao are some of the best.

Date of visit: October 2016