“Wow! Earns the reputation! ”
Review of Screen Door

Screen Door
Ranked #7 of 4,849 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Screen Door presents a revival of regional American cuisine, a survey of the south, from South Carolina Lowcountry cuisine to soul food and Cajun one-pot cookery to the refined Creole and French preparations found in New Orleans. We celebrate Southern cuisine from the quintessential hearty fare to the everyday foods gathered fresh from the garden. At Screen Door we serve natural, local and organic produce and meats everyday. Central to our concept is weaving the rich bounty of local fresh produce found here in the Pacific Northwest into our menu.
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

I went with my daughter and daughter-in-law for a late lunch. So many things looked good that we mostly ordered appetizers and sides, and the huevos rancheros, which were fantastic! Service was quirky but good.
Bananas Foster French toast -- Yummm.
Fried chicken breast -- excellent!
Smoked fried chicken legs -- SO good and unique!
Fried okra -- good; not special.
Black-eyed pea hush puppies - delicious.
Cornbread -- okay.
Fried oysters -- perfect.
Gumbo -- average.
Cheese grits -- great flavor, but too thin.
Mac and cheese -- A showstopper! The best that any of us had EVER had! We ordered two extra orders to take home for later.

This is a place where you can wait a really long time for a table (hours). Yet they are closed from 2-5pm during the week. Go figure. They could be busy all day...

I'll be back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,270)

Reviewed 15 June 2017

Yes there was a line, but it moved fairly quickly. Sitting at the bar is a good option if you don't want to wait even longer. Yes you can believe the hype about the chicken and the waffles.. they're that good! The praline bacon was a WONDERFUL surprise.... something I never knew I needed in my life. This is must do, try and go during the week to avoid longer lines.

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

On my own in Portland and the Screen Door was so inviting and gracious and welcoming. I had the fried chicken dinner and it was scrumptious! Got to take home 1/2 my chicken for a yummy cold fried chicken sandwich the next day. LOTS of food! Very friendly and efficient service.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

My son and I visited Screen Door after reading that they serve Bananas Foster French Toast. There was about a 20-minute wait at 9am on Memorial weekend Monday, which we didn't think was bad at all. We ended up getting the Praline Bacon (big strips of bacon coated in praline - heaven!), rhubarb compote pancakes (a special of the day) and the Bananas Foster French Toast. It was all excellent!

Reviewed 7 June 2017

I don't like giving 5 stars because then everyone will want to come and the wait will get longer. That said, I'd wait for the shrimp and grits! Excellent food awaits!

Been to Screen Door? Share your experiences!