“Delightful, Delicious”

Stammtisch
Ranked #170 of 4,630 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: German
Reviewed 3 May 2017

We met friends here for lunch, and ended up eating, drinking and talking for a couple of hours. It was all delightful! The server didn't mind that we kept ordering small amounts of food so we could linger and enjoy them, and was cheery the whole time. Our friends have spent quite a bit of time in Germany, and they were really happy with the selection of beers and with the food. We had delicious sausages and pretzels and they ordered a variety tray that looked wonderful. So - if you're hankering for Germany, this is a great local place in Portland to satisfy your craving!

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Went in thinking it would be fun.Had not had German food in a while. My boyfriend and i were on a date night. We asked that the courses come out one at at time to give us time. The German pancakes came out immediately and before we could finish them the pasta and meat course came out at the same time. I told the waitress, Jordan, we asked to have a least several minutes between courses.which she agreed to. When I asked what happened after we had already discussed this, she said most people want all the food at once. I told her that is not what we discussed. She offered to take the food back and warm it but it was already cooked and pasta rewarmed did not sound optimal nor did reheating the vegetables on the meat course. She could have cared less about the service and did not come back to the table to check on anything. Another waitress saw we were not being attended to and came over. There was no apology. She simply did not care. I did not eat dinner. My boyfriend took some of the food home but left most of it as the evening was ruined. the other waitress brought a $25 gift card to the table but I told her i had no intention of ever coming back. We had drinks and ordered three things off the menu. One was the most expensive item. We had planned to stay and enjoy a meal but it was cut very short and we left with our drinks still mostly full and nothing really touched on the pork course. Truly one of the worse dining experiences I have every had in Portland.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

We were a party of 7, all ordering different dishes, and everyone was very pleased with their meal. Wienerschnitzel, sauerbraten, and duck confit (a special offering that night) all stood out. The Bavarian pretzel appetizer was very good but it's a bit like a fancy breadstick so next time I will try something more unusual like the currywurst. Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu.

They also have a reasonable offering of German and German style beers on tap and even more German beer by the bottle. Needless to say, we all enjoyed at least a couple of pints!

As others have remarked, it is a bit noisy inside but our two hard of hearing gents were able to manage. We dined on a Thursday nightand found the noise level went down considerably by 8pm.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

We had an excellent meal and great service. As always parking in Portland is tricky, especially around dinner time and in a busy district - but once inside it was all good. The two boys had the hog shanks and the ladies had salads. They were also kind enough help us try to devour the pork, red cabbage, and spätzle. We didn't succeed so we took home delicious leftovers. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone venturing into German food.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

I spent more than half of my 60 odd years in Germany, and have eaten more than a little bit of German cuisine. Among my favorites is the Jaegerschnitzel, which I've had in many locales throughout Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and even right here in the good, ol' US of A. In fact, a couple of the best that I've ever had were in Hayward, California, and Radcliff, Kentucky. I'm sorry to say that this wasn't among them. It was prepared fine, with the right ingredients, but the meat itself (pork tenderloin?) and the gravy tasted different - not bad - and when I stopped comparing it to others it was fine on its own. The pub was full at 5:00 and american fussball (soccer) was playing on tv. The ambiance was there - just too bad that nobody spoke German. A number of German biers both on tap and bottle, but no wine list that I saw. It was like "Germany-lite" - the sort of place one might expect of Germany if they never stepped out of the US.