“Interesting if you are going for the coolness bad for the smartness” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ace Hotel Portland

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ace Hotel Portland
Ranked #63 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Lisbon, Portugal
“Interesting if you are going for the coolness bad for the smartness”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Very beautiful, detail focused hotel.
The environment is very cool and the ambient too.
Attention to detail is ver taken care of but......
Beware of multiple bills.
I went on a business trip with worldwide colleagues and to pay was HELLISH. I stayed for 3 nights and my colleague from Mexico another 3. I payed 185USD and he payed 125USD. Does this make sense? NO, they want to charge everything in one credit card and the system does not allow separate bills. So if you travel in business group choose a different option, and do not stay here.
In my case all we wanted was to pay and they were not able to find a way. The paying experience was so bad my company will never hold another event there.

Also, never stay there on friday or saturday. There is a discotheque right in front of it and the noise is just terrible until 3am

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ruiamador

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

The hotel is fine, it tries too hard to be cool. It reminded me of my old dorm in San Francisco, very minimal, but honestly it is overpriced for a room with a private bath. There are better hotels to stay at in the same price range. I actually love the Ace in Palm Springs, but this one is just not as good in any way. The staff were not very helpful and, as others have stated, seem to be irritated if you need anything from them. We had one experience with a guy at the front desk that was flat out rude. I was shocked at how we were treated and talked to, not only was he really catty he was also condescending and I did not appreciate it. My fiance and I travel a lot and have stayed at all kinds of hotels and have NEVER been treated like that. Unfortunately for the Ace Hotel that employee has ruined our entire experience there and tainted what could have been a fine experience.
What I liked about the hotel:
good location, good coffee downstairs (you have to pay for it), photo booth, bed was comfortable, suites are big and roomy, free wifi
What I didn't like:
Staff has bad customer service and bad attitudes
standard room is overpriced and very small (suite is overpriced too)
bathtub/shower had weak water pressure, hard to get temp. just right
rooms are cold and have a draft in the winter heater couldn't battle the draft
lobby is always crowded with the coffee shop crowd using the couches and free wifi
Honestly the staff is the biggest problem for this hotel. I know Portland is all about the hipsters, and in that world bad service is cool, but I have to say bad service is never cool.

If the staff didn't seem completely irritated at the fact that you were there, then I might have considered it an ok place and possibly stayed there again if I just needed somewhere to crash in PDX. The staff made it such a bad experience I would never even consider it again. I'll stay at Hotel Monaco next time.

Don't waste your money, stay somewhere that appreciates your patronage and puts the money back into the rooms and services.

Room Tip: 4th floor was quiet, I've read other floors you can hear people in room above you. Suites are a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trinny57
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I'm really surprised this place doesn't have better reviews on here. My husband and I stayed here in March 2011, and I thought it was a delightful and unique hotel.

Our room was an open suite/loft with a large sitting area in one section and a bed in the other. The sink was just to the left of the bed, and the bathroom featured a glorious clawfoot tub that I very much enjoyed.

There's a Stumptown coffee place connected to the lobby, and it's within walking distance of restaurants and Powell's Bookstore. I guess it's a hipster place, but that doesn't bother me and I don't understand why it bothers others. But it's your money. I'd definitely stay here again and have even been considering a "girls on vacation" trip here.

Room Tip: Get a loft / suite!
Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

The coffee shop next door means the place is full of free wifi junkie hipsters trying to get access while clogging up the lobby lounges. they need to improve this!
Plus the hotel basically will try to gauge for every additional thing, so come prepared with an open wallet. very expensive for the space you get, but the old Victoria bath was nice and on the hold enjoyed our stay.
Good location in the pearl district and the Deli a few doors down was good.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ace when visiting my brother in Portland. There's nothing worse than feeling like you've thrown your money out the window. Portland has a ton of lovely and affordable accommodations but we chose the Ace, one of the more expensive hotels in the area, knowing its reputation here in New York. We were quite disappointed from the moment we walked in when the concierge could hardly be troubled to welcome us to the hotel and get us checked in. The rooms are quite basic and even consider a toilet to be an added amenity worth charging for. This was not what we paid for.

The only reason I'm keeping my rating at "average" is because the common spaces at the hotel are quite welcoming and the smell of Stumptown coffee greets you at the door. The hotel is also well-located, right near Powell's books. We also discovered their continental breakfast on our last day which would have really lightened up our stay had we tried this sooner.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple