All reviews pearl district full kitchen fire pit train tracks union station street parking valet parking within walking distance construction noise two bedroom suite yogurt complimentary breakfast is small kitchen marriott properties whole foods walk in shower laundry room
Reviewed 29 August 2018

It is very rare that a hotel inspires me to write an email directly to the manager. This place did and I'm just going to copy/paste it here so you all can read my very long email. This is THE place to stay in Portland's Pearl District in my opinion.

Hello Ms. Pirret,
My name is Jenny. My daughter and I stayed at your hotel from Tuesday, August 21st until Friday, August 24th, 2018. Our experience with your hotel, staff, and one staff member, in particular, has inspired me to let you know what a great time we had.

First off, the location of your hotel is exactly where it should be. The room was well appointed and we were very comfortable in it. We were happily surprised by an upgrade to a two bedroom suite! Even if it was a perk of my husband's Elite Status, we enjoyed the surprise very much. Your breakfast buffet was always well stocked, delicious and we enjoyed it very much!

I am also writing to you to make you aware of the caliber of front desk employees that you have working for you. Matthew was always extraordinarily helpful and courteous. He started our morning treks around the city off with a pleasant smile and any directions we may need. When we checked out and our flight wasn't until the evening, his kindness in handling the drop off of our bags while we trekked around one last time was especially nice.

The first day we noticed housekeeping didn't make it to our room. The next morning I spoke with a very sweet female staff person (I regrettably didn't get her name!) who not only made sure housekeeping took care of us that day but also rewarded us with an extra 500 bonus reward points. I didn't even have to ask. That was especially kind. When we arrived back to our room at the end of the day, housekeeping had indeed been there and left the most adorable elephant made from a towel on my daughter's bed and had sweetly left her stuffed dinosaur on top of it. They had no idea, but that made us chuckle and happy considering my daughter is 22 years old and still brought a stuffed animal. That was a very funny moment for me and filled us both with laughs. We assume they must have thought she was a child. hehehe

Above all else, the main reason I am taking the time to write this is to let you know how much we appreciate Gary. Gary has an enthusiasm for life that has spilled over into his work and it just eeks from his personality in the most heartwarming way. He takes his job very seriously and seems to genuinely enjoy making guests feel welcome immediately. Both Natalie and I left the front desk and said "wow, that man is spectacular!! I'd want him working for me!" We were so inspired by him that we asked him to pose for a selfie with us. He happily obliged and I'm attaching a copy of it (as well as a picture of my daughter and her elephant towel!) for you to enjoy also.

We hope to be back to Portland again very soon and now we know where we'll ALWAYS stay and we look forward to seeing your staff - Gary in particular - again. Unless, of course, you decide to promote him. I think he deserves that for sure! :)

Thank you for taking the time to read my very long winded email!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

A yellow spot in a sea of grey surrounding buildings. This is a lovely modern hotel. Although about four years old, it still seems brand new. Everything is clean and well maintained. There is an outdoor courtyard with trees and greenery to counteract the fact that you are in the city. This location is really at the edge of the Pearl. It is walking distance to restaurants, bars and shopping but not in the heart of the most popular area. You are very close to the walking/running/biking trail along the river. Although there is a small market nearby, a big Safeway is only a few more blocks. Also note that a public garage is around the corner if you don’t want to pay for valet.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greenie2480
Reviewed 19 August 2018

First the good news: the staff is super-friendly. 5 stars! Very helpful.

Now for the bad news:

Housekeeping was poor. Hair in sink from prior guest. Mardi-gras type bead visible in carpet from prior guest. Only two Kleenex in Bath Kleenex box & no replacement box visible anywhere.No water glasses in bathroom. One room had a clock set to WRONG TIME ZONE! Was not intuitive to set and they never set it for us, after we asked. The other clock WAS NOT EVEN PLUGGED IN! Same--they never fixed (It was a scramble of wires and dark--we could not see where it plugged in or how to set it.)

Lots of noise in room above us (like someond dropping bowling balls and the balls bouncing). Not construction work. The hotel couldn't/didn't do anything about. We asked to have Security check the floor & the room above but they just said Security didn't start til 11 pm. Penny wise pound foolish.

We were told by email to check in by email the day we were leaving but that did no good and we had to physically check in on arrival.

Breakfast area is crowded and quality of food is poor. Scrambled eggs and "potato pancakes" (not really-mystery food) were cold. Only good items: oatmeal, bananas, menon cubes.

We were told to dial parking with our claim check no. for our car but that accomplished nothing. We had to go to front desk.

One day we received NO HOUSEKEEPING SERVICE AT ALL. We were out 8-11 am and 2-10 pm. True, we did have the DND sign on between 11 and 2 but if they came then they never came back and checked again. The hotel did give us extra loyalty points but still...

Property is dated. Bathrooms very old as rest of room. No modern feel. No bars to hang towels. Bedroom light does not have the right angle for reading in bed. There are 2 master light switches that are confusing.

They sent us an email that said there would be construction and we would receive a "noise reduction kit" in the room. We did not, althouth there was some kind of sound reduction machine but no instructions. No earplugs as promised, although when we went down and asked they did give us some.

Room rates and parking rates are righer than warranted by the property itself.

Room tip: Not sure if there is a good room
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank John W
Stephenie C, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Pearl District, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at the Residence Inn Portland Downtown Pearl District! I am very happy to hear that the staff were very friendly, but I am very disappointed to learn about the level of service that was provided to you by our hotel and our staff during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for your recent stay with us and not meeting yours or our expectations for your time with us. The Housekeeping service provided us completely unacceptable and I am so embarrassed as we usually get feedback about how amazing our Housekeeping service is. I will talk with our team about all of the errors that occurred with your suite as well as the lack of Housekeeping service each day to ensure this doesn't happen again and retrain in the areas needed. I also want to apologize that our Front Desk team informed you that security was not here until 11PM as at our hotel we are all security and here to resolve an issues that arise, including noise coming from a suite above you. I will retrain with our Front Desk team about the appropriate way to handle problems that happen as well as our response with our guests, as the feedback that was given to you was definitely not the level of service that should have been provided. I also want to apologize for your experience in our breakfast as well. Again, we usually get feedback that our breakfast is amazing and well above any Marriott hotels and a cold breakfast is that last item we should be serving to our guests. I will share this feedback with our Food and Beverage team to ensure we are taking every step to provide the best food. There are so many issues that happened during your stay and I can't express how sorry I am for this experience. I promise to deliver exceptional service if you choose to stay with us again that will leave you wanting to come see us again each time you visit Portland. Please feel free to reach out to me directly here at the hotel to discuss your stay further, or to book a stay with us and I guarantee we will not let you down again. Thank you so much for your time and I hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Great hotel perfectly located near all of the new cool restaurants in the Pearl District even a grocery store just two blocks away

You want to go to the grocery store because your room has a large refrigerator stove microwave pots pans knives forks plates Bowls glasses I mean this place has the best the room is big laid out perfectly very nice bathroom clean and new I’m not sure why they keep writing all these things about construction could be bothersome I haven’t heard a noise or seen a construction worker even in the neighborhood

Which again the neighborhood is fabulous not so crowded as the main part of downtown just a short term minute walk or a quick Uber and you can be to the busier side of town but this is perfect especially if you’re staying here to go to a concert at the Mota center or the old Rosegarden it’s directly across the bridge a 10 minute beautiful walk

This hotel also has a pool great gym laundry room free coffee every day in the lobby all day and nice little restaurant as well

I have 2592 nights at the Marriott so I’m a platinum member and I can tell you hands-down this is their best hotel in the world

The staff is very very friendly and accommodating every time you walk in it’s hello how are you can I do something for you I just came from the Marriott in New York they should send the staff from New York here to learn how it’s done if I was in the market to buy hotel I would buy this thing !!!

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Train whistles, cars honking...what a nightmare.
Wish I read the managers response to previous review before booking. Noise is so bad that they have noise machines to borrow? Note next to the bed offers ear plugs? Manager claims the windows are noise reducing. Nonsense!
Port of Portland is a horrid place to be. Should have stayed at the airport. Take-offs and landings would be more peaceful.
Front desk did not warn, offer or otherwise be helpful. Is coffee available in the AM? Room brochure claims there are perks for Marriott Rewards Members and I am one. No offers were provided.
Front desk is useless. Mr. Manager. An overhaul is needed and an apology warranted.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank JudyO1950

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at the Residence Inn Portland Downtown Pearl District, as I am delighted we had you as our guest I am very disappointed to learn we failed to provide a memorable stay for you. Unfortunately, like most of the other hotels located in downtown there is car traffic noise with suites facing out to the streets that we are not able to prevent from happening, as well as being located near Union Station. With these factors being out of our control we try our hardest to do everything we can to prevent the outside noise from disturbing our guests during their stay. That is why we offer the sound machine, ear plugs, and we can always move you to a courtyard view room that also helps minimize the outside noise. With light sleepers, such as myself I fully understand your frustration and I apologize that the noise disturbed you during your stay. For any future stays if you choose to book with us again please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel and I will place you in a high floor suite facing into the courtyard in a suite on the other side of the hotel away from Union Station to ensure you have a peaceful nights sleep at our home. I also want to apologize that the front desk did not inform you of this at check in in order to prevent the noise from disturbing you. I will talk with our Front Desk team to ensure we are always letting our guests be made aware of their suite location, as this could have been prevented. Coffee is available in the morning located down in our breakfast area as well as the Front Desk area. I apologize if it was not noticeable. We have brochures in the suites to inform our non-members what is available to them if the would like to sign up, and to let our valued Rewards Members know what is available to them from Marriott as a whole, not our hotel specifically. Marriott offers many perks when you are a Rewards member with us, such as late check out, points during your stay, etc. but again, this is Marriott as a whole not just our hotel. If there were items listed in our brochure that we didn't take action to please let me know so I can address if with the appropriate hotel team.
Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us and I hope I can hear from you soon.