“Pricey but worth it!!”

McMenamins Kennedy School
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

Came here 2pm with a hangover and drank mimosas and ate a delicious breakfast! This place treated us like royalty, I’ll go back in a heartbeat.

All reviews
"flick"
in 3 reviews
"auditorium"

Reviewed 24 October 2017

The Kennedy School is quite a unique place. And old school that was converted into a cool McMenamins establishment that comprises many places all in one. A Hotel, a Theater, A restaurant, and an assortment of various bars, a gift shop, and more.

I wandered around the corridors a bit puzzled where to go first and where all the places are located. Then a found just what I needed– “A Walking Tour of Art and History.” This is a great guide that has a basic floor layout of all the places at Kennedy School. Armed with this you can wander all around the place and learn about the history and some of the highlights each place has to offer.

If you feel like eating, then the Courtyard Restaurant is where you want to go. If you want a drink there are several places to choose from. My favoured of all is The Boiler Room Bar with its two levels decked out in pipes and artwork. A pool table on the top level. The bar on the lower level. There is a side room down there that has a shuffleboard. I ordered a pint and just walked around taking in the look and feel of what looked to me like a Steam Punk Paradise.

If you are into drinking spirits in a small intimate place, then you should head to either Detention Bar or Honors Bar.

I was surprised at how low the prices are in the Theater to see a film. Unfortunately I have seen Atomic Blonde twice already. But with a price of only $4 for adult, I was tempted to see it again. I should have some here in the first place to see it. Believe me, I paid much more than $4 where I saw it. You can believe that I will be keeping an eye on what they show and return to see it here.

This is a fascinating place to spend time. And there's some mighty cool artwork too!
Clark Gable and sheep parting clouds over Kennedy School? I guess you could say that the clouds are Gone With The Wind, eh?

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

This old school is made into a quirky hotel. Its like being in a fantasy world. The style is somewhere between art deco and fairytale. The room very small with a wash basin in the room, and seperate toilet and shower. Although there are lots of fancy lamps the light is Very poor, both at the bed and at the mirror. The bed is decent, but why not have duvets?

1  Thank Niels Holst T
Reviewed 2 October 2017

We planned a family get together over a mid morning breakfast. The atmosphere was conducive to relaxation -- the staff were VERY efficient and friendly and certainly knew the ins and outs of the extensive menu. What started out as a quick chat and breakfast turned into a very relaxing two plus hour visit. -- What more could any family want -- Good food, tremendous service AND no pressure to get moving. In addition -- we were VERY impressed by the conversion and use of the old school. The McMenamin family deserve medals for what they have done to protect and preserve the school buildings. Visit the building. I bet you will stay to eat in one of the dining rooms.

M J, General Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you, Thank you! What a wonderful compliment, we will be sure to share your feedback with our team.
We hope to see you again.
Cheers!

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2017

We recently ate at McMenamins on a busy Friday night. The day before I had called the restaurant to see if they took reservations; I was told they did not but that if I arrived around 6:30 we should not have a problem getting a table. When we showed up on a Friday at 6:30, we requested outside seating and were told it would be about 20 minutes to a half hour. We then went to the Cypress Room and had drinks which were very good. After a half hour, we checked back in with the hostess who said there still was not an available table outside and she did not know when a table would become available or where we were on the list. Needless to say, we then opted for a table inside. It was loud, too loud, and the food was average. We had tater tots which were good but the veggie burger was sub par and the flat iron steak was tough.

I recommend this place for drinks, hors d'oeuvres and lunch only as other people at our table enjoyed their sandwiches.

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that there were difficulties with getting a table and an accurate wait time. We will address these issues with our team.
We hope to see you again.