“Quirky venue for satisfying dinner”

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Seated in the shade of an umbrella in the courtyard, we had a delightful dinner with fun and attentive service. This is a quirky restaurant/hotel/entertainment venue, and should we visit again it's a strong consideration for lodging. There's easy parking in the back and rambling hallways with tucked in specialty bars and entertainment spaces. For dinner we enjoyed crispy Cajun flavored tots, yummy lobster Mac n cheese, and fillet minion prepared to order. Check out the monkey punch cocktail, which is a refreshing and tart libation.

M J, General Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and meal.
We hope to see you again.
Cheers!

"artwork"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2017

Staff

The staff at this location are very friendly and polite. They are helpful when you need answers to questions.

Where do I begin. The entire location was extremely clean and well maintained. It was so fun roaming through the halls snooping around. The bathrooms were gorgeous and every room you looked into was nostalgic. My husband loved the bar that had loads of pipes running around it (not drug related pipes).
There was a small pool out back for guests staying at the hotel.

Theater

While we were snooping around we came across the theater. How can you resist the opportunity to order a meal, go into the theater and sit on a comfy couch and have your meal brought to you. My only tip is GET THERE EARLY!!! We had no idea what to expect and by the time my husband was about to order, my son and I discovered that there aren’t enough tables for every row of seating. Thankfully he found 1 table that wasn’t being used and moved it to our area, but we almost left because it was scary to think about eating a pizza and trying to hold drinks and a pitcher of beer while watching the movie.

Cost

There’s no fee to walk in and look around the Kennedy school. There is a restaurant and bar if you chose you want to sit for a little and have a drink (in detention) or a bite to eat at their restaurant. We ate at the theater though.

The theater charges $4 for adults and anyone over 11. 11 and under were $2 for a movie ticket. Great pricing, even for second string movies.
The food we ordered at the theater wasn’t too bad. A 16” pizza was $24 and a pitcher of beer was $16.

M J, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

We thank you so much for your outstanding and thorough review. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

We just completed a 2 nite stay while in town to see our son. His apartment is downtown, east river side and Kennedy is just a 15 minute drive NW about midway between PDX and downtown. Wonderful, small, quaint home neighborhood, good for walks. Like all McMenamin locations, Kennedy is a place to discover, explore, & enjoy. We were in the English Wing Room 203 which connects nicely to the main "school" via a covered porch. Enjoyed great food & outdoor dining at the Courtyard restaurant. Had fun checking out the 4 bars and liked the reggae playing in the Cypress Room. Staff at Kennedy happy and helpful! Room rates high but fair for Portland. We will be back.

M J, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2017

Thank you for your review, we can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 3 May 2017

My friend brought me here to see this colorful and eclectic old school. This point of interest surprised me with how I wanted to see it all. The very open and well decorated restaurant is colorful, full of plants and natural light. There are beds to sleep in, lounges to drink in, tubs to soak in, theaters to watch movies in and a feeling of being a part of history. I appreciated the notes to Lois that are a part of an art installation decorating the halls of this old school. The pictures of the kids are to be regarded. Family of all ages enjoy this interesting and memorable place.

M J, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

We are so glad you got to enjoy a full tour of the building. I agree the notes to Lois is one of my favorite pieces but so subtle that I believe they are often missed. We hope to see you again soon.
Cheers!