“Caviar, vodka, stuffed cabbage”
Review of Kachka

Kachka
Ranked #42 of 4,813 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2017

What a fun place! I haven't sampled everything, but loved everything I had. Including the horseradish infused vodka, which I wouldn't expect to have liked (not liking vodka) but in fact loved. You just can't go wrong here, and it's a pretty unique experience.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Fine cuisine! Good mix of traditional russian or eastern european specialties presented in a new ways. Menu choice is huge, drinks are great. Service is both professional, simple and enjoyable at the same time. Ambiance is kind of busy, sound Wise but OK overall. Each and evry plates served were absolutely unique.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Visiting Kachka was like taking a trip to mother russia, for people who have never known that they wanted to have such a trip, or are pretty sure they would dislike such a trip. This was one of my favorite parts of my Portland trip, and would 10/10 recommend everyone experience it for themselves with friends!

The food: Was super interesting and unique with bold (often fishy or beet-y or dill-y) flavors. Having not tried Russian food before, I can't comment to how authentically Russian it is -- but I can definitely comment to how authentically not-American it was! Highlights were: caviar (it's served with butter, breads, and eggs - a super unique and totally worthwhile experience!), baltic sprat (fish toast - sounds weird but yummy), herring under a fur coat (russian "salad" with beets fish and eggs.. also weird but yummy), and the halibut 'fishwich'! Every plate had us tasting unique and interesting flavors that we hadn't tried before or thought we'd like, but we ended up loving it!

The drinks: were AMAZING!!! We tried a ton of the vodka infusions - our favorites were the horseradish (we ordered several..), grass, cacao, and boysonberry. The jewish rye cocktail was very good. The beet fernet was absolutely terrible in my opinion but if you're going to order fernet, then you probably already knew that.

The space and staff: both committed to the whole Russian theme they had going on. I imagine if I had recognized anyone in any of their pictures, they would have been Russian. Our server was incredibly helpful in his honest takes on what we should order, and we had terrific advice: which is to order for variety, rather than for item popularity.

Book your reservation (a rarity for Portland) in advance so that you don't miss out!!!

2  Thank Jennie B
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

I read other reviews and so I thought the food sounded great. However we started with assorted pickles plate. Goodness, three different pickled items. The tomatoes were bland with a chaser of vinegar taste. The slaw in a bowl was a bit sour funk for me. They also had pickled watermelon on the plate--the only thing on the plate that wasn't so overpowering vinegar tasting.

Now the caviar was the best plate of our meal. However, 12 grams for $54 isn't that filling as we rolled to the Siberian dumplings. My husband liked them a lot more than me. I just wasn't enjoying the spices.

We had read about the dish, Herring in a fur coat, and tried. I wasn't a fan and was consoled by the table next to us who were from Russia.

Anyway for me this just wasn't my speed, food wise, but the staff were very nice!!

1  Thank Erin G
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

We chose to dine at Kachka, while in Portland for only 48 hours, based on previous reviews. We are so glad we did! What a fantastic experience!! The Ruskie Zakuski experience is an absolute must! The quality and quantity of the food, in addition to the fantastic service, guarantees a return on our part in addition to numerous recommendations. Well done Kachka. Keep it up!