“Solid Chinese Food”
Review of Dragonwell Bistro

Dragonwell Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Dragonwell Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #415 of 4,811 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW Yamhill
Transit: Conveniently next to the SW Yamhill Max Station in Downtown Portland
Description: Dragonwell Bistro is centrally located in Downtown Portland at SW 1st and Yamhill by next to the MAX Yamhill Station. If you dare, come inside and take a look, this is not your ordinary Chinese Restaurant. when you walk in, you will be greeted with an Upscale Bistro with high ceilings and a full spacious bar along with the Newer decorations Owner Jack Brought back from China. The smell of the food will make you want to sit down, and one taste of any of their popular dishes some of which was brought back by Jack from the 20 years of travelling in China. will keep you coming back time after time. If you are a visit, be sure to flag Jack down to give you some suggested place to go, as he grew up here in Portland but have live in Portland, San Francisco, LA, New York and Asia for the past 20 years. We love visitors, from all over!!
Reviewed 6 February 2018

I went here with a coworker recently and the food was really good. The portions could be slightly bigger but the cost was not bad at about $11 a plate. I also wish they gave egg flour and/or hot and sour soup with the meals like other Chinese restaurants.

My coworker had the General Tso’s chicken and I had Kung Pao chicken. Both were really good. This is a good place to get solid Chinese food.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

To each his own of course and, for appetizers, my wife and I will not preclude our dining out occasions because of costs- like that old JFK exhortation we will bear any burden, go anywhere, meet any friend, enjoy any cuisine and pay any cost - but there are unfortunately a few exceptions -in Portland, at least, where the name and menu do not live up to our little expectations. Dragonwell is tops on that list. But don't just take my word- have their "signature" dish- that meatball in brown water at $19 per order.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

We stopped in at 8 pm on New Years Eve for our traditional Chinese dinner. The place was busy but not jammed. They are not normally open on Sunday night, but they were open that Sunday for the holiday. The atmosphere was very pleasant. We like casual places, and we felt very comfortable there in street clothes, but we also saw people dressed for New Years parties later that night. The food was very good, and we really enjoyed our dinner. The service was good, not great. I think that they were light-handed on a Sunday night since they usually are not open. My only complaint is that they were closing at 9 pm as is their customary 'weekday' closing, and the staff was already in major shut down mode at 8:45 pm. I fully appreciate that this was not a normal night to be open, and they likely had other places to be for New Year's parties, etc. I would have expected tables to be bused, etc., but there were many tables that had been put together for larger parties, and the staff was lifting and pulling them into place all around us while we, and several other customers were still dining. It would have been great if the 'heavy lifting could have waited until 9:00 pm or even 9:15 pm. Despite that, we had a good time and would recommend this restaurant to others.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We wanted to find a new place to try some Asian cuisine. The happy hour menu looked good and the price was great as well. We chose 4 different dishes and had a pint of Sapporo. I must say the shrimp chips are pretty addictive. Would definitely come back and maybe try happy hour in the evening.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

We were initially enticed by the picture of steamed dumplings outside the restaurant window so we returned after walking along the waterfront. There was only one party when we were seated on a Friday evening, but that didn't deter us. The ambience and service was very good. However, the food overall was underwhelming. The dumplings were good, not great. The champagne orange chicken was too tough, like it had been re-cooked. The ma po tofu was average. Finding a great Chinese restaurant is hard, in my experience. This place didn't make the cut, but I'd give it another go and try other dishes for another chance to impress.