“Huge Disappointment”

Ranked #88 of 4,276 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Delicatessen
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Pearl
Portland, Oregon
“Huge Disappointment”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I'm very shocked that so many people rated this restaurant with 5 stars. We ate there last night to celebrate my boyfriends birthday. Neither of us had been. We ordered the caprese salad, tripe and leg of lamb. The last two were specials. The caprese was nothing special, although they has some sub par olives on the plate. Some of the tomatoes had the brown end that connects to the stem. Both the tripe and lamb were smothered in canned red sause. You could taste the metalic bitterness of a canned sauce. We decided to skip dessert when we saw the couples cake next to us. It looked like it was a frozen cake from Costco. Next time we'll remember to go to DOC for good italian food. Aside from the large portion I felt like I was eating airplane food.
And really, does there have to be so many TV's, this isn't China. I've been to Italy 2X in the last year and never saw a restaurant with TV's.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank meglord

appleton
“Atttactive decor- average food”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We went based on recent Tripadvisor reviews. The place was very crowded, the place was very nice looking inside. The waiter became less interested when he realized we were not ordering extras or drinks. Food was good but the portions for the price were not worth it.

Portland, Oregon
“As authentic as it gets......”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Great pasta with butter clams in white wine sauce. Excellent house red. Busy, a bit noisy but the atmosphere is complete with it. Very authentic. As good as I've had in Italy.

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Piazza Italia, when I don't feel like cooking Italian....”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Piazza Italia has consistently been wonderful, and the place to go in Portland for authentic Italian cuisine. Sometimes you just don't feel the need for a fusion this, or a fusion that....you just want authentic cuisine. Piazza gives that, and gives it in spades. My last time here I had the papardelle with wild boar sauce and it was perfect. My wife had the Bucatini all' Amatriciana and as always, it was perfectly done.

Portland
“mediocre Italian food”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We went for a friends birthday, a large 10 person group in a small restaurant so the service was handled very well but the quality of food was worse then a macaroni grill in suburbia. Sorry Piazza, everyone ordered a different entree and the consensus was below average for the quality of pre frozen foods for some of the entrees and over cooked pasta is unacceptable at a Italian restaurant. I will never go back nor will I ever recommend this restaurant to friends or colleagues.

Visited October 2011