“Odd Menu”

Ranked #17 of 4,652 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$25 - US$60
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tasty n Alder, a John Gorham restaurant in Downtown Portland, Oregon, is a modern steakhouse featuring a fun, family-style menu of innovative dishes with diverse international origins. The dinner menu is rooted in the traditional steakhouse concept featuring meats, seafood and salad served in a festive, energetic environment that encourages shared plates and imbibing. Tasty n Alder’s brunch menu is inspired by Chef Gorham’s travels and experiences with the vital immigrant community working in the restaurant industry whose own cultural traditions have helped re-shape American cuisine as a global collaboration of flavors.
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Or maybe it’s trendy and I’m just not with it, but I found it difficult to understand. It took a long time for me to study my options and I still needed help from my server. Once the food arrived, it was tasty! I liked the runny egg on top of my polenta, and the schnitzel was perfectly crisp. The flavor profiles were very good, but didn’t blow me away. All in all, just too much work for me just to have lunch.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed 6 December 2017

SOOOOO good! We walked in at opening time on a Thursday and within 15 minutes there was a long wait so get there early, especially if it's a weekend. But trust me it's worth it. The dishes are more like breakfast tapas so it would be better if you have a group but we were hungry so ordered several things anyway. It was so delicious and so much fun!

Reviewed 5 December 2017

The first time I went I was so surprised at how good everything was. It's a comfortable dining with family style seating.
The ambiance was great as were the servers and obviously the meal.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

We came for lunch on a Friday afternoon thinking it wouldn't be too bad because it was not quite the weekend. We waited about 45 minutes for a table (shared). Once seated, things moved along okay. The drinks came pretty fast. Then the food came out one order at a time. Pretty strange if you ask me. I had the Alder burger-delish! my husband had steak and cheese eggs-delish! And our guest had a fried chicken and fried egg cheddar biscuit. Which she enjoyed. These are not exactly family style orders. The first one came out quickly, then 10 minutes later my burger, then another 5 minutes came the steak and eggs. The service was good. We weren't sure exactly who our server was because so many visited the table. Apparently all of them were our servers. We will probably go back and I do recommend the food, funny thing, the check had a line for "kitchen tip" Not! Tasty, but not efficient.

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

It was a busy Sunday night and waited 30 minutes for a table, but it was no big deal. It was my Daughter and I and another couple and we ordered each a meal, but they all came out piecemeal. I’m sorry, but I have been in the restaurant business for 30 in management positions, and I have never seen this type of service before. If this is a new concept, I don’t like it! By the time we got the last meal, it had been 20 minutes since we received the first meal. The sad thing is that the food tasted good, but it was cold.